One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
7,143 Posts

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Lucky stores hit by ID theft in Bay area

(12-06) 09:29 PST Modesto, Calif. (AP) --

At least 80 employees and customers at more than two dozen Lucky Supermarkets' stores in the San Francisco Bay area have had their bank accounts compromised after thieves tampered with the credit and debit card readers in self-checkout lines.

The chain, which announced the breach on Monday, said many of those people had money stolen from their accounts.

The crooks apparently managed to place skimmers into the readers at 23 stores that captured the customers' bank numbers.

The chain — part of Modesto-based Save Mart Supermarkets — recommends that anyone who used self-checkout terminals in the affected stores in the past few months should close their accounts immediately.

Lucky customers who believe they were affected by fraudulent use of their credit or debit cards should contact the chain's customer support center.

Read more: Lucky stores hit by ID theft in Bay area

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Haven't gotten up the courage to try that just yet. Harder to decipher than a 107 service manual, by far.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The latest trend is to walk around with a scanner to talk to all of your cards that have chips in them that 'wake up' on being excited by RF and start spilling their guts.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
I shop in one of the listed stores and often use the self-check lanes (where those terminals were hacked, although it was not *every* self-check lane in all of the affected stores). I don't always use my debit card, though.

My bank says the information disclosure they got from the store did not include my account, so perhaps I got (ahem) Lucky.

That's some pretty ballsy thieves, though, to manage to install skimmers on in-store card readers. Makes me think they were probably employees; once the store closes it would be easy to do that.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Brilliant, I mean hang the bastage, but you got to admit this is an incredible, almost undetectable factory looking unit that would likely never draw a second glance in this fast paced world. Those more astute might notice a change in their often used machine and take pause, but the majority never would even suspect. You got to hand it to these thieves, they are ingenious. What's this world coming to? I almost think it would be better to keep my $ in a floor safe in my own home. But I hate cash, or rather, carrying it. Think about this....... where is cash located usually? Hint...... about 4-5 inches from someone's ...uh... vent...uh...#2 place.... uh... next to their A-hole..lol... so imagine how unclean it must be simply by virtue of the location it spends most of it's life..........something to think about huh.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts