Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1989 560 SL - Signal Red & Palomino; 2011 C-300 - Black on Black 4MATIC
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use one of these kits for road rash - scuffs on alloy wheels? I need to address on one of my A-4 wheels, or bite the bullet on a new rim if they are junk.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really, there are a couple different brands out there, one is Permatex and the other escapes me but it comes up when searching "alloy wheel repair" - basically hoping anyone who has done this might chime in.

There are also companies that will do this, at least two in my area, but for what I am thinking they would charge, the car is now old enough that I could likely source a wheel for it via junkyard, ebay or C-list.

Thanks, Shep

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
What's up with the rims? Scratched finish/curb rash?

You can buy spray paint/clear from duplicolor, then all you'd need to do is strip, scuff, patch/fill, paint, sand, clear and you'd have new looking rims for under 100$ and budget 1hour per rim.

·
Registered
Now: 14 E350 Coupe; 86 560SL Then: 73 280SEL 4.5; 80 300SD; 82 300SD; 98 E350; 08 GL320; 11 E350
1,058 Posts
Not really, there are a couple different brands out there, one is Permatex and the other escapes me but it comes up when searching "alloy wheel repair" - basically hoping anyone who has done this might chime in.

There are also companies that will do this, at least two in my area, but for what I am thinking they would charge, the car is now old enough that I could likely source a wheel for it via junkyard, ebay or C-list.

Thanks, Shep
Shep,

I'm original wheel kind of guy and had mine professionally refinished. A couple had minor curb rash and the refinisher removed the rash, trued the wheel lips and refinished in OEM paint. So glad I did it. Gave the car an appearance lift and two years later the wheels still look great. IIRC, $400ish for the work.

I later picked up a set of 4 wheels for $75 as spares if the need ever arises.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Daryn, that is essentially what the kit is comprised of, and my guess is that is the same method and materials (except maybe not in bulk form or something like that) that the shops have are would be what I would get in the kit. I will probably order one and try it, wheel is gouged up a bit - pretty when new but the Audi folks decided to design the wheel so it is about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch wider than the tires, so the RF has taken a couple of nasty hits from the curb...

Sooner, on my MB wheels I am definately going to have those redone. They are clean, but need refinishing. Another decision there is OEM paint vs. powder coating which I am just now hearing about. Have yet to search the forum on that though...

·
Registered
Now: 14 E350 Coupe; 86 560SL Then: 73 280SEL 4.5; 80 300SD; 82 300SD; 98 E350; 08 GL320; 11 E350
1,058 Posts
Shep, I was intrigued too about the powder coating as it seems like a very durable surface. I consulted with Jeff In OKC who's been in the high-end auto body repair biz for 30 years about my options. He directed me to the shop I used as being the only place in OKC to trusts my wheels to. That said, I would still like to see a powder coated finish. If you do powder coat, please let me know about your results.

Cheers,

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,512 Posts
Shep, I was intrigued too about the powder coating as it seems like a very durable surface. I consulted with Jeff In OKC who's been in the high-end auto body repair biz for 30 years about my options. He directed me to the shop I used as being the only place in OKC to trusts my wheels to. That said, I would still like to see a powder coated finish. If you do powder coat, please let me know about your results.

Cheers,
Problem seems to be with powder coat is colour selection.......not every colour under the rainbow is available.

Werner had his Bundts done and they look fantastic...but the colour isn't exactly OEM.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,357 Posts
You want to be careful with powder coating. I've never had wheels done, but I did have some bathroom fixtures powder coated (so-called chrome) to save a few dollars on a bathroom reno.
The result looked quite good but a spray cleanser containing bleach caused irreversible dark stains on instant contact. Now I don't know whether this is a problem unique to the chrome color, but it might be something to consider.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Again, thanks gents - the knowledge here is really nice to have! I am thinking no on the powder coating now; especially if the color match is not available. Dugald I have also heard depending on the application it may not be the ultimate answer for durability. When I was into Model A Fords a lot of those guys powder coated wheels and chassis parts - and believe me if you are knowledgeable you can easilly tell the difference. It just doesn't look "right". In thinking about it more, why would these be any different...

Will give an update on the trashed Audi wheel once I get the kit and attack it...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts