Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,823 Posts
The beauty of older MB cars and trucks is they were intended to not be replaced after every model cycle, of course Otto is still chugging; Otto has very little to actually fail.

His Baboon experience reminds me of a funny trip to six flags in NJ. Some kid in his wonder rocket was in front of us as we went through the baboon enclosure. They warn you that the baboons can be naughty, very naughty and six flags has no liability. Well they took his chrome rim hubcaps, his light up washer tips, his blue chrome 3 blade wipers, his stick on buick style vents... if they sold it in the cheap styling isle at the FLAPS he had it and they wanted it. The safety safari finally came when they started working on removing his body kit. Ahhh Baboons... natures traffic light window washers.

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,823 Posts
May be, it does say 300GD on the side which corresponds to the 3L OM617. Otto is also the O in OM, Otto Motor.

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,857 Posts
May be, it does say 300GD on the side which corresponds to the 3L OM617. Otto is also the O in OM, Otto Motor.
Good eye! Went back thru vid. and about halfway saw a fuzzy distant view of side plate ... further thru vid. a clear shot of a native in the driver seat and the plate.... 300GD it is.

OM617. Helps explain why it runs and runs and runs. Where those 617 turbos or NA?

ok... answering my own question.. apparently NA. Least that is what quick search showed

·
Registered
1967 404 Unimog (Belgian), 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
253 Posts
Great story. Sad about his wife, but Gunther and Otto are still going.

It says he started in 1989, so I'll assume that's the year the truck was made. I must agree with ACAD's comment about how they were built to last. Not the same company any more.

Gotta love that OM617. Amazing motor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts