Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
6,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used a "clone" impact wrench?
The Makita Impact Wrench is a pretty nice tool ... but very pricey, I went with Ryobi instead.
Here is a clone of the Makita Impact Wrench for $32 that looks pretty interesting.

I don't have Makita batteries - went with Ryobi battery system.
My Ryobi Impact Driver will remove Lug Nuts without a problem, but still a real Impact Wrench does appeal to me.

·
Premium Member
1987 560SL
2,292 Posts
Battery operated impact wrench seems like an oxymoron to me. I have 1/2 inch Stanley compressed air impact wrench that works on just about anything. The impact wrench is a great reason to have an air compressor.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
31,708 Posts
Battery operated impact wrench seems like an oxymoron to me. I have 1/2 inch Stanley compressed air impact wrench that works on just about anything. The impact wrench is a great reason to have an air compressor.
Agreed. I have a 3/4" Harbor Fright air impact that will spin the center out of a stubborn 10MM steering wheel bolt.:cry:

As for the cheap battery one mentioned it is probably alright if you are already invested in the 18V Makita system.

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
6,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As for the cheap battery one mentioned it is probably alright if you are already invested in the 18V Makita system.
I haven't invested in the Makita battery system - instead just got into the Ryobi battery system.
My P261 Ryobi Impact Driver (not the more powerful Impact Wrench) will remove wheel lugs without a problem.
The P261 really impressed me with its torque, like some of you guys I would just use my Breaker Bar for small projects and break out he Air Wrench and set up the Air Compress for bigger jobs. It is definitely more convenient to simply grab my battery powered Impact Driver which has made me want to invest in a real Impact Wrench.
That Makita clone of the Impact Wrench sure would look tempting if I already had Makita batteries.

·
Registered
'72 450SL, 107.044-12-000422
190 Posts
I don’t know about the clones, but my kids got me a 1/2 DeWalt 20v a couple of years ago and I love it. It does everything my pneumatic does without having to haul out hoses, start the compressor, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
6,154 Posts
Yeah, I have the older ni-cad 1/2" 18V DeWalt that works well. I picked up a 3/8" new 18v DeWalt closeout at Lowes for $50 just because it was cheap, but I've yet to actually use it. LOL
Of course I have several tools using that battery system so they were my best option.

I don't know why I have so many extension cords as I almost always grab the battery tools!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts