Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1994 S320 SWB
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have these installed on their car?

after some research, I've decided I don't want to go for an aftermarket set of xenons (scattered beam, blinds other drivers, potential loss of light output), and OEM ones are way too expensive. The best solution for me seems to be these bulbs. apparently they've been rated the number one headlight bulb for a few years now, and they can produce up to 4100k of light, which is quite close to an OEM xenon's output of about 4300K.

and other pluses include the fact that I won't have that ugly blue ricer look, I wont be spending 298374928374 dollars, and I can probably install them myself.

here they are at autohaus. $50 for two.

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

any comments or suggestions?

·
Registered
W639 Vito 110 CDI; Ponton 220S; VW Phaeton V10 tdi; 1995 S500 ex diplomatic car (gone)
574 Posts
If you want output, don't go for ANY tint. If you want to look "cool" feel free.

·
Registered
1994 S320 SWB
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
after all the research I did, the highest praised bulb was that third one down. I was led to believe there wouldn't be much of any tint from the bulb. I do see that the housing appears a bit blue but from what I understand these bulbs are created by osram for people who don't want that dumb blue look, they want optimal performance. they also offer the cool blue series. maybe that's what you're referring to?

·
Registered
'14 E350, '07 CLK350, '01 SLK320
1,145 Posts
I have used SilverStar bulbs on several vehicles and overall I have been very pleased. The only gripe I have with them is their short life. The new SilverStar Ultra bulbs are supposed to address this.

Regarding output: They're not necessarily brighter, but the color temperature is whiter than a standard halogen bulb, which makes reflective things show up a lot better. They're not even close to those stupid "blue ion" bulbs you see on ebay.

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
8,206 Posts
Your statement of 4100k is near the xenon's 4300k, is talking about the color of the light on the ground not the candle power on the ground.

Xenon's usually put 3x the candle power on the ground compared to non-xenon and that's why you see such a wonderful carpet of white from those cars.

·
Registered
W639 Vito 110 CDI; Ponton 220S; VW Phaeton V10 tdi; 1995 S500 ex diplomatic car (gone)
574 Posts
Xenon's usually put 3x the candle power on the ground compared to non-xenon and that's why you see such a wonderful carpet of white from those cars.
!!! from a filament bulb !!!!!

·
3phase-4pole
4,845 Posts
if you really want power without spending HID prices, go for higher wattage bulbs like Osram 100/90W (but you need to add a wiring harness to handle the heat)

if you just want it for the looks, the *prettiest* bulbs Ive tried are the PIAA super plasmas

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
I have them in my Euro's. I got them from someone who imported them from the UK. They are amazing as far as halogen goes. It's not HID, but its about the best it gets for a fraction of the price. Do not confuse the fake Silverstar bulbs that are sold here in the USA with the real Osram version from Europe.

·
Registered
'07 S65 AMG '95 S600 '98 E430 '83 300SD '81 300D
111 Posts
I've used the Silver Star bulbs as well...excellent lighting, BUT they don't last very long. You had best stock up on some spares, because they WILL leave you limping along on one light within 4 or 5 months.

Pony up of a HID conversion and get it over with.

·
Registered
1994 S320 SWB
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
4-5 months??!! holy crap that's a terrible life span. idk if I'm prepared to spend 50 bucks for a set of bulbs that's going to go out in that short of an amount of time...

can anyone link me to the osram silverstar ultra bulbs that bobs mentioned?

·
Registered
'14 E350, '07 CLK350, '01 SLK320
1,145 Posts
Search for "silverstar ultra" on ebay. You can get them for about $20 a set.

·
Registered
1999 E430
6 Posts
I'm confused with mr.xpowerseller's comment - Do not confuse the fake Silverstar bulbs that are sold here in the USA with the real Osram version from Europe.

Is it b.c the Osram has 20% more than Sylvania's (50% - 30% =20 than std halogen)?

From suvlights.com

"What is the difference between the Sylvania Silverstar and the Osram Silverstar?

Osram Sylvania is one and the same company, within the US they use both Osram and Sylvania, outside the US its Osram. The Osram Silverstar is a clear bulb with Xenon gas boost to increase brightness up to 50% color is similar to standard halogen though it is slightly whiter. The Sylvania Silverstar is the same bulb but with an amethyst blue coating with 30% more light than standard halogen and 4000K light color which is comparable to Xenon/High Intensity Discharge Light Systems as seen on high end cars from Acura, Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Lexus, Mercedes Benz, Porsche to name a few.

Sylvania Silverstar is currently available in 9003/H4, 9004, 9005, 9006, 9007 & sealed beam sizes, the Sylvania Silverstar is the Super White (blue/grey coated) version of the Osram Silverstar (clear) which is available in H1, H4, & H7. Osram Silverstar color is slightly whiter (very slightly) than regular halogen. We also have the Narva Range Power Blue bulbs are made in Germany and DOT compliant. The Osram Silverstar is E code (ECE Reg 37) but not tested for DOT compliance (FMVSS 108) since the bulb is made for the European market, but most likely meets US DOT standards if tested. All these bulbs are stock wattage so it will not have any effect on wiring."

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
The Sylvania bulbs feature a blue bulb coating that restricts light output and makes them look like HID wonna-be's. The Osrams use a higher quality filament, produce more light and last longer. You cannot buy them in the US at Auto Parts stores or at Wal-Mart. They are European import only.

·
Registered
185 Posts

·
Registered
2005 W211 E320
1,261 Posts
I've got Silverstar's in mine. (NOT ultra's) And i'm VERY pleased. I was actually looking into it as well, before I bought mine, and spoke to somebody at an auto parts store (It was a Checker) and he actually had done quite a bit of reading on the subject. Apparently, the best ones to get are the less expensive bulbs. He was actually recommending that I buy the STANDARD Silvania bulbs and not the silverstars because what you REALLY want is a TRUE WHITE LIGHT and NOT the blue tint. While the blue tint "looks cool" it actually distracts you while driving, human eyes aren't designed to see through a blue tint, it's really more comfortable and you can see BETTER when it's true white light.

With that being said, I opted for the Silverstars because they were quite a jump as far as brightness goes, from the basic bulbs, and Checker will actually price match ANY price, even an internet price, so I couldn't pass up that kind of a deal on Silverstars.

The jump, on the other hand, from the regular's to the ultras is a very minimal jump, and he warned me that they would have a slight blue tint, so I didn't go for those.

I was able to find regular Silverstars on google shopping for a very low price, I think it was like $23 or something like that, so i suggest you do the same, print out the page, and bring it into a Checker to get the same good deal. I feel that the regular silverstars are going to be the BRIGHTEST you're going to get WITHOUT the blue tint, thus being the best possible choice for bulbs for your car. At least, this is what I concluded.

Another note: I've only had mine for a couple of months so I couldn't really tell you how long they will last, but when you're paying about half of retail for them i suppose it isn't so bad.

Here's the best price I could find on Google Shopping. I know these are ULTRA's, but the guy I dealt with took these as a price match even for the standard Silverstar bulbs.
Silverstar Ultra's $26.99

·
Registered
1994 S320 SWB
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i ended up purchasing a set of osram silverstars off ebay. theyre great, you can tell theyre whiter, and they're a pretty good improvement. definitely a $31 value. It's not even close to comparable to the stock xenons on my dad's 08 audi A6, but it's a clear improvement over the stock lighting. everything is more defined, the whiter light is nice, and it's just all around better. i'd recommend them. unfortunately, i may not be enjoying them for very long if I go through with a pending transaction...for more info, see a topic I will be posting in a few minutes.

·
Registered
93 190E 2.3, 94 E320 (sold), 01 E320, 99 S320, 18 Durango
4,981 Posts
Did the one you get is the Ultra or just regular Silverstar?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts