Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 C240
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the look of gold lettering and logos on automobiles and have been thinking of getting some for my 2002 C240. Yes, I know that it's not a high end Mercedes, e.g., $60k to $100+k, but I'm thinking this will add some character.

I have a couple of questions:
1. How difficult is it to remove the existing hood, trunk and model number ornaments?
2. Does anyone know where I can get these (gold-plated) at a reasonable price?
3. Since it doesn't appear that a removable hood star is being made yet for the C240, can anyone explain why a hood star for any of the following chassis -- 123, 124 (1986-93) and 201 -- wouldn't fit?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2002 C230K
10 Posts
All the emblems are easily removable. For the hood star, just open the hood and underneat...

All the emblems are easily removable. For the hood star, just open the hood and underneath the star there will be a piece that turns and then just pull the star straight out. For the letters and numbers, i usually put a small piece of string behind them and pull across to break the tape away. Then you just have to clean off all the glue left over. The rear star has three pins that push in. You can also put a string behind each spoke of the star and gently pull out each pin. You might break the star, but you're going to replace it anyway.

I don't know where you can get these gold plated, but you should be able to buy everything in gold from the parts department at your dealer. Might not be cheap though.

I don't know what you mean by it not being a removable hood star? I guess you mean a gold one, because the stock star is removable. It is possible that another star would work, but I know there are some that do not. Some of them are very different, especially the older you go.

My own opinion is that the gold does not add character to the car. It doesn't matter what the car costs, because I think gold makes a Mercedes look cheap. Gold is very common on Toyota's and Lexus's. It might look good on there, but I don't think that it looks right on a Benz or even a BMW. You don't see it very often. But if you like it, go for it.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
The problem with gold emblems is they oxidize and turn brown and really look bad. Also con...

The problem with gold emblems is they oxidize and turn brown and really look bad. Also consider replacing the star with a flat emblem like on the sportier MBs. Also they sell different grills that aren't too expensive and will set your C240 apart from the rest.

·
Registered
2002 C240
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: All the emblems are easily removable. For the hood star, just open the hood and underneat...

All the emblems are easily removable. For the hood star, just open the hood and underneath the star there will be a piece that turns and then just pull the star straight out. For the letters and numbers, i usually put a small piece of string behind them and pull across to break the tape away. Then you just have to clean off all the glue left over. The rear star has three pins that push in. You can also put a string behind each spoke of the star and gently pull out each pin. You might break the star, but you're going to replace it anyway.

I don't know where you can get these gold plated, but you should be able to buy everything in gold from the parts department at your dealer. Might not be cheap though.

I don't know what you mean by it not being a removable hood star? I guess you mean a gold one, because the stock star is removable. It is possible that another star would work, but I know there are some that do not. Some of them are very different, especially the older you go.

My own opinion is that the gold does not add character to the car. It doesn't matter what the car costs, because I think gold makes a Mercedes look cheap. Gold is very common on Toyota's and Lexus's. It might look good on there, but I don't think that it looks right on a Benz or even a BMW. You don't see it very often. But if you like it, go for it.

What I meant by "removable star" is one that you can pull off the hood when parking your car and then replace when you return. If it's not there, someone can't break it off.

Dick

·
Registered
2002 C240
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: The problem with gold emblems is they oxidize and turn brown and really look bad. Also con...

The problem with gold emblems is they oxidize and turn brown and really look bad. Also consider replacing the star with a flat emblem like on the sportier MBs. Also they sell different grills that aren't too expensive and will set your C240 apart from the rest.
Good points. Thanks!

Dick

·
Registered
E500S4, C240; Sold ML320, '72 280SE, '67 280SL, '86 300E, '87 300SDL
383 Posts
try the local flea market...

Believe it or not, usually there is someone at the flea marktes doing this. And like someone else pointed out they are bound to fade or change with time. That is unless the gold plating is beneath the chrome (chrome is hard and transparent) and the parts where done this way from scratch.

Otherwise the yellow pages should list more than a few folks who do electroplating.

hope this helps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts