Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While doing an under car inspection I noticed that my muffler was a MB item. Got me to wondering if the muffler was original. A little background...I have owned the car for two years. Originally a California car. Don't know when it came to Vegas. I have service records from the indy (in Vegas) where the car was maintained going back 10 years. Nothing about a muffler change.

Part number on the muffler is 1074912601

Part number in EPC for the 1988 560sl is 1074908421

Common sense tells me that a muffler can't last 23 years. However I am in the desert so all bets are off. Is there anyway of knowing for sure?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
The one I replaced last April on my 89 was a MB muffler and looked to be original. Have all the paper from the other 2 owners and none listed as being replaced. I did mine only because the element inside broke loose and rattled while it was idling. Not sure there is anyway to prove it's original.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,583 Posts
While doing an under car inspection I noticed that my muffler was a MB item. Got me to wondering if the muffler was original. A little background...I have owned the car for two years. Originally a California car. Don't know when it came to Vegas. I have service records from the indy (in Vegas) where the car was maintained going back 10 years. Nothing about a muffler change.

Part number on the muffler is 1074912601

Part number in EPC for the 1988 560sl is 1074908421

Common sense tells me that a muffler can't last 23 years. However I am in the desert so all bets are off. Is there anyway of knowing for sure?
It has 7 87 on it. Wonder if that is a manuf. date. What is the name on it?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I opened my rear muffler because of the rattle noise. The internal curved tubings were loose. Just welded them back together and closed the muffler => works now fine. I am almost sure it is original. All the internal parts and surfaces were OK except they were loose. I have pics from there but did not found just now.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has 7 87 on it. Wonder if that is a manuf. date. What is the name on it?
I wondered that too about the 7 87. Would be correct if it is a manufacturing date. Unless the name is on the top side there is none. Just the markings in the photo.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,583 Posts
I started to laugh but then did a search. Gillet made Porch mufflers so why not MB?

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did a little checking on Gillet. It's mentioned a few times in the PeachParts forum as being one of the OE suppliers of mufflers. Eberspaecher and Boysen are also mentioned...

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'm getting that rattling, too. Keep forgetting to mention it to my mechanic. I'm told I have an exhaust leak, too, but the mechanic's not been able to find it...

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
OEM Quality

W107 Muffler is very high quality, it is made to last. Here are the pics inside rear muffler. All surfaces were bright, shinny and solid. Only the internal curved tubes were loose and rattling.

We welded the internal tubes together and it becames almost as good as new.

- Let see how long the service weldings will last.

- Muffler shall be opened at the spare tire side, the welding remains at the hidden side. Learnt this too late as usually...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
OEM Quality

W107 Muffler is very high quality, it is made to last. Here are the pics inside rear muffler. All surfaces were bright, shiny and solid. Only the internal curved tubes were loose and rattling.

We welded the internal tubes together and it becames almost as good as new.

- Let see how long the service weldings will last.

- Muffler shall be opened at the spare tire side, the welding remains at the hidden side. Learnt this too late as usually...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts