Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1990 300 SEL sold, 1989 300 SE (black)
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would first like to say I love this forum. I have been viewing for some time now. This is my first post. I bought my 300 SEL about 2 years ago and knew nothing about the cars except they are the best looking cars ever. I bought it from a private seller for $1950, after about a 3 minute test drive in a parking lot. My wife liked the moon roof! I have only had to change the front brakes and rotors, spark plugs and wires, belts, upper and lower radiator hoses, flex disc, valve cover gasket and changed all the shocks. All maintenance items.

About a week ago I noticed a strong gas smell in the garage and looked under the fuel pump to notice gas was leaking from the filter. I changed the filter and noticed the date on the old one. This was the original fuel filter! I knew nothing about the car when I bought it but now I know that it was not well maintained. She still runs like a dream and hit 85 mph on the way to and from work as my daily driver.

I would like to say thanks to everyone who posts and have a great day!

Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 300SE
61 Posts
did mine last week and it looked almost as crusty. i don't think it was original though. not a fun job with all that rust.

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
note to self:

don't buy a car from a northern state...

HOLY RUST!

and get used to fuel leaks. they're a constant nuisence for me at least.. if you do get a leak from a hose, just replace ALL of them in one go. trust me.

·
Registered
1990 420sel
324 Posts
Where did you get that metal fuel hose from fuel pump to filter? Mine is rusty too.

·
Registered
1990 Mecedes-Benz 420SEL
1,217 Posts
Good job. Enjoy your 300SEL in good health. Don't jump to a conclusion on maintenance... the fuel filter is a commonly neglected item. Welcome to the forum!

Dave

·
Mercedes
9,046 Posts
NüR-SPEC said:
note to self:

don't buy a car from a northern state...

HOLY RUST!

and get used to fuel leaks. they're a constant nuisence for me at least.. if you do get a leak from a hose, just replace ALL of them in one go. trust me.
My car is from Los Angeles originally and I brought it to Ohio 2 years ago. Its only driven 3 months of the year during the summer. Not *all* northern cars are bad;)

·
Registered
1990' 560SEL
281 Posts
rph74 said:
Where did you get that metal fuel hose from fuel pump to filter? Mine is rusty too.
I would also like to know where to buy the snake shaped metal line. Thanks.

·
Registered
1989 500 SEC, Arctic White (147)/Sato Grey (7738) - Dark Blue Leather (262)
124 Posts
dave420 said:
Good job. Enjoy your 300SEL in good health. Don't jump to a conclusion on maintenance... the fuel filter is a commonly neglected item. Welcome to the forum!

Dave
Would a neglected fuel filter cause, or contribute towards, the common high/erratic idle problem we constantly see with these cars?

J.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
High idle, no; stalling and sluggish acceleration, yes. It may also strain the fuel pump to the point where I fails early.

Most high idle problems and erratic engine performance is cause by air and vacuum leaks, engine management problems – failure of an engine management component – and neglected basic maintenance such as plugs/cap/rotor, etc.

·
Registered
1990 300 SEL sold, 1989 300 SE (black)
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought the metal fuel line from the dealership for $60. When I bought the car I did a carfax report and learned the car was purchased in New Jersey then moved to Michigan, Illinois (where I bought it) and now Wisconsin. My next W126 will be from Arizona or So. Cal. Here are some pictures of the outside.

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
Maybe mine was different but I paid $38.08 (list) for that metal fuel line on my 84 500SEC last May at the dealer. Also it probably does not matter but is that new fuel filter installed reverse of the old one? I know that some are directional.

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
if you have the funds, AZ/CA cars are wonderful. you might have some fading on the paint or interior, but i'll give you some info on my car. straight from the production line in germany, it was shipped to houston texas for federalization. afterwards, it was transffered to it's owner in scottsdale AZ. it's been here all it's life and even sat for a year. not a single spot of rust at all. anywhere. the roof has faded clear coat and the dash has a couple cracks, but at least i don't have to worry about things litterally falling apart from corossion! the prices might be a bit more down here, but you certainly get what you pay for.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts