Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1987 230GE
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's in the threads somewhere but I can't find it.

Could I just order low beam bulbs for my '87 G, or is the high and low beams integrated into one bulb?Also upon replacing, do I need to remove the outer plastic housing for access to replacement? I thought I would replace both sides to keep the lighting as balanced as possible, and keep one for spare. Where would my best source be for original bulbs?

I had to drive home the other night w/my high beams! Normally people 'flash' me when I would use my low beams, our trucks naturally sit high.

I'm not very good at searching so many posts, do we have a search engine where we would type words to find?

Thanks to all!

Sal

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
The standard bulb is the H4, which has both low and high beam. When properly aimed, there is an extremely sharp and well defined cutoff that eliminates glare in the oncoming driver's eyes. . . . . . . . . . when properly aimed.

You have to remove the rubber surround to access the screws that hold the light in place; and the light must be removed from the fender to access the bulb.

The "SEARCH" function is right at the top of the page.

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
To improve the appearance of the light and for better night time visibility it is not uncommon in Europe to replace the light unit complete with that from a VW Golf Mk 2, it is plug and play, and has dim dip if you have the relay.

·
Registered
1987 230GE
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After the traditional auto parts stores came up empty I went to the heavy hitters,, new car dealers. First to Mercedes, then VW, finally BMW, nobody carried the Hella H4 bulb 100/80. European bulbs to bright and non DOT certified.

Enter the internet and AutoBarn.Com. Two lamps including delivery for around $20 clams! Who says owning a Mercedes has to be expensive? Wish everything were this easy..

Sal

1 - 4 of 4 Posts