Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1991 w126 420SEL, 1986 w126 Euro 560SEC (option 822), 2000 E55, 2003 E55, 2003 SL55
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While doing a few items under the car I noticed it was time to do the exhaust. Does anyone have a picture or blueprint of the stock routing of the 560 SEC HV exhaust. Mine looks like it may be but can not ever be sure. Anything to consider for improvement as well. Exhaust has always confused me to make optimum.

Thanks

·
Mercedes
9,043 Posts
Here are pictures of my old downpipes... I ended up selling them to a forum member since I've acquired AMG headers and downpipes (the downpipes on AMG headers are specific although they have similar styling).

After the downpipes, there's a "Y" shaped front section that on some models contain a catalytic converter. After that portion... the set up is the same just like any other V8 Mercedes (be it Euro, Japan or US spec.)

·
Registered
1991 w126 420SEL, 1986 w126 Euro 560SEC (option 822), 2000 E55, 2003 E55, 2003 SL55
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I am actually looking from here back. All the way to what ever exhaust I choose. Currently its dual all the way back into the muffler.

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,194 Posts
You say you have the high-compression (HV) engine, but do you have the high performance Tri-Y's or the Euro log headers?

The Euro logs aren't that much of an improvement over the US log headers, but at least they're not set up for the exhaust pipe behind the block.

Unless you have a lead on an original set of downpipes, you're better off finding a local shop that can fabricate you a set.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
You seriously need to get EPC. It will tell and show you everything. Logs or Tri's...

You will need to get the subscription for $13.00 a year since you have a Euro.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suspect I have not been clear enough. I have the 822 motor option with Tri-Y's and the down pipes. From there two pipes run on each side of the axle all the way back to muffler. I want to replace from the down pipes all the wall back as it has a small exhaust leak that I can hear and feel in those pipes from age. It all looks to be original.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You seriously need to get EPC. It will tell and show you everything. Logs or Tri's...

You will need to get the subscription for $13.00 a year since you have a Euro.
Mclare. Thanks. That is great to know and I will. Its sometimes hard to weed through everything with this car. Somethings are very straight forward like every other w126 and then others I dig through the old posts and just come to a stand still. I am starting several projects on it as I pull the bottom out of it and noticed a small exhaust leak. Seemed like a great time to have the exhaust from down pipes back updated and in AZ I can get away with a lot (meaning keeping it to true Euro spec.) just want to make sure what I have is original.

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,194 Posts
I suspect I have not been clear enough. I have the 822 motor option with Tri-Y's and the down pipes. From there two pipes run on each side of the axle all the way back to muffler. I want to replace from the down pipes all the wall back as it has a small exhaust leak that I can hear and feel in those pipes from age. It all looks to be original.
You should be all set then. :)

From the downpipes and back, you'll get better performance with new stuff.

Add a pair of bullet high-flow catalytic converters (negligible performance hit), an X-pipe, a pair of dual-in/dual-out resonators and a dual-in/dual-out muffler.

I couldn't fit an X-pipe with the long resonators I chose, but otherwise it's a good set up.

Uh, and don't go any bigger than 2 1/4" pipe, otherwise you're going to lose torque, especially at the low end. Don't ask me how I know....:eek:

·
Registered
'84 500 SEC Euro 040 black Lorinser 2005 sl500
2,516 Posts
Hey Axel, I have been looking for a picture of your set up! Thanks! It looks as if your system is welded from front to back with no flange connection points. Do you need to drop the whole system if you need to get to the drive shaft area?

I am also trying to figure out what I am going to do with the "after" the down pipe and back, but I wanted to be able to leave the down pipes on and be able to remove the pipes if needed.

·
Premium Member
87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
4,279 Posts
After the downpipes, there's a "Y" shaped front section that on some models contain a catalytic converter. After that portion... the set up is the same just like any other V8 Mercedes (be it Euro, Japan or US spec.)
My euro Tri-Y's after the downpipes feeds into a factory dual in dual out looking CAT or possibly its just a resonator, but it looks like a CAT to me.
I wondered about this and whether MB designed their own internal merge pipe or tee-piece set up within it.
Can anyone clarify this?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,194 Posts
Hey Axel, I have been looking for a picture of your set up! Thanks! It looks as if your system is welded from front to back with no flange connection points. Do you need to drop the whole system if you need to get to the drive shaft area?

I am also trying to figure out what I am going to do with the "after" the down pipe and back, but I wanted to be able to leave the down pipes on and be able to remove the pipes if needed.
Yes, my exhaust is one-piece from the manifolds and back. The front cross-member has to be dropped to remove the system.

Very practical. :rolleyes:

I'd put in a few connection points were I to do it over again.

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,194 Posts
My euro Tri-Y's after the downpipes feeds into a factory dual in dual out looking CAT or possibly its just a resonator, but it looks like a CAT to me.
I wondered about this and whether MB designed their own internal merge pipe or tee-piece set up within it.
Can anyone clarify this?
Yes, that is your original dual-in/dual-out catalytic converter.

When you replace it, they should offer you a pretty good trade-in on it. The early catalytic converters had a lot more platinum in them than today's models.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Axel,
Thanks. Your looks just like my current set up. Cats and all. I looked at those tiny cats on mine and said. These must be add on. But just before the cats on the weld I have a leak that drives me nuts. Then the muffler looks original and ready to be replaced. I also must add that my resonators are located much further back and look to be original as well making one of the runs longer than the other. I like how yours is a straight run.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
My Tri Wye's were fitted with a slightly modified downpipe and from there back I had completely replaced. I picked up an AMG Sebring Muffler and had it opened, inspected and re-packed, re-welded and re-painted by an expert muffler shop. D & D Mufflers did the work. I also replaced the cat with a high performance hi-flow dual in-out cat and all new pipes. I deleted the resonators and replaced with with an X-pipe.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My Tri Wye's were fitted with a slightly modified downpipe and from there back I had completely replaced. I picked up an AMG Sebring Muffler and had it opened, inspected and re-packed, re-welded and re-painted by an expert muffler shop. D & D Mufflers did the work. I also replaced the cat with a high performance hi-flow dual in-out cat and all new pipes. I deleted the resonators and replaced with with an X-pipe.
To understand why the X-pipe vs resonators could you explain. I want everything I can get out of the car and still squeak through az EMISSIONS.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
The resonators, or 'Kidney Beans' are baffles for sound. They deaden the noise the engine makes. Anything from aft of the Cats, has only to do with noise level and not emissions. Only the Catalytic Converter has to do with emissions. I am here in Cali with the most stringent regulations in the country and I passed emissions with near zeros, and I am sure it would pass in any state.

In Cali ANY parts on the exhaust system have to be CARB (California Air Resource Board) approved. So if you want to replace the cat, it needs to be approved for your car. So I had a problem because the Tri's are on separate sides versus the US which has the drivers side go behind the engine and joins the right side exhaust and then it goes down into a single in on the cat. The output of the cat is dual outputs. So on US cars it's a single to dual and I needed dual in and dual out. But the cat approved for my car was the single dual. Well Chip and I found that a cat for a 107 500SL is a dual in/out and is CARB approved for a M117 engine, so that means it's approved for my engine. So he changed the position of the cat to slightly aft of its normal position, then the X-pipes.

X-pipes or straight across connectors are used to 'balance' the output of the exhaust. You also want to, if you can, go to a larger diameter pipe aft of the cat. It will let it flow better.

If you delete your resonators, you will do things. One, it will give it a more 'throaty' note to it and I guarantee you will like the sound. It kinda ruins the 'sleeper' coupe thing, but it sounds bitchen.

The second thing is you get rid of 30 or so pounds and don't have to carry that weight around everyday. The resonators are for sound deadening and have nothing to do with emissions. Neither does the rear box. That is for sound too. Only the Cat has to do with emissions. If you are going to redo the exhaust, get a new high flow cat. Mine was about $300.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The resonators, or 'Kidney Beans' are baffles for sound. They deaden the noise the engine makes. Anything from aft of the Cats, has only to do with noise level and not emissions. Only the Catalytic Converter has to do with emissions. I am here in Cali with the most stringent regulations in the country and I passed emissions with near zeros, and I am sure it would pass in any state.

In Cali ANY parts on the exhaust system have to be CARB (California Air Resource Board) approved. So if you want to replace the cat, it needs to be approved for your car. So I had a problem because the Tri's are on separate sides versus the US which has the drivers side go behind the engine and joins the right side exhaust and then it goes down into a single in on the cat. The output of the cat is dual outputs. So on US cars it's a single to dual and I needed dual in and dual out. But the cat approved for my car was the single dual. Well Chip and I found that a cat for a 107 500SL is a dual in/out and is CARB approved for a M117 engine, so that means it's approved for my engine. So he changed the position of the cat to slightly aft of its normal position, then the X-pipes.

X-pipes or straight across connectors are used to 'balance' the output of the exhaust. You also want to, if you can, go to a larger diameter pipe aft of the cat. It will let it flow better.

If you delete your resonators, you will do things. One, it will give it a more 'throaty' note to it and I guarantee you will like the sound. It kinda ruins the 'sleeper' coupe thing, but it sounds bitchen.

The second thing is you get rid of 30 or so pounds and don't have to carry that weight around everyday. The resonators are for sound deadening and have nothing to do with emissions. Neither does the rear box. That is for sound too. Only the Cat has to do with emissions. If you are going to redo the exhaust, get a new high flow cat. Mine was about $300.
So technically I can go two hi-pro cats straight back to the exhaust as I would not need the X-pipe it sounds. I assume this was used for the dual in cat?, but maybe I am wrong.
Last question is do resonators effect HP at all?

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
You only need one cat. It should be a dual in and dual out type. I think it was a Magnaflow cat AIR.

Resonators I was told, only reduce HP by maybe one or two HP, but if you delete you also don't drag that extra weight around too.

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,194 Posts
So technically I can go two hi-pro cats straight back to the exhaust as I would not need the X-pipe it sounds. I assume this was used for the dual in cat?, but maybe I am wrong.
Last question is do resonators effect HP at all?
An X-pipe, when installed properly, actually increases the performance.

It needs to be mounted as far up in the system as possible. Such as right behing the catalytic converters.

If mounted too far back (or behind resonators or a muffler), the X-pipe won't do anything at all. ;)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just read up on H pipes and X pipes. Good info. SSince I already have two high flow cats that look just like yours I now want to do a nice X-pipe then run back to the muffler. So no resonators. Hopefully not to loud but enough to hear when your into it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts