Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1989 R107 560SL, 2006 R230 SL500
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My antenna works just fine, occasionally the very last segment won't retract but if I put it back up and down it will go down. Is there some type of lubricant I should be using on it?

EDIT found this in a different forum and used the spray:

Also, the motor is kind of rotating around in it's trunk space, thinking something is missing, here is a picture, can someone who still has their original one for a 1989 compare and tell me what's broken or missing that I can maybe repair?

Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior Vehicle door Fender

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
13,851 Posts
See this thread.

You are probably missing the little bracket on the bottom. I was still available from MB about 10 years ago.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
See this thread.

You are probably missing the little bracket on the bottom. I was still available from MB about 10 years ago.

So is this part I circled in red the only thing connecting it to the car? because yes that's what is missing, and I'm wondering if it being missing and as a result it flips flops all over the place, is why it's sticking.

Mine looks rough...but I hate to mess with something that "mostly" works...every time I do that I get 3 more problems to fix! :)

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Gas Engineering

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are missing the carpet covered cover piece View attachment 2767169 e. I made a new one because earlier morons were rough on it.
Very nice trunk wow, puts mine to shame. I do have the carpet, I had just pulled it back to show the very sad and disintegrating-looking motor.

·
Premium Member
13,851 Posts
So is this part I circled in red the only thing connecting it to the car? because yes that's what is missing, and I'm wondering if it being missing and as a result it flips flops all over the place, is why it's sticking.

Mine looks rough...but I hate to mess with something that "mostly" works...every time I do that I get 3 more problems to fix! :)

View attachment 2767245
That and the mast grommet are the only 2 mounting points.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That and the mast grommet are the only 2 mounting points.
This one here looks like it might work; but it looks completely different that yours - is that one I circled in your picture the original one or one you made for it?

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
34,397 Posts
This one here looks like it might work; but it looks completely different that yours - is that one I circled in your picture the original one or one you made for it?

OR, as an alternative...plumbing strap.

Which is how I found mine installed.

And mine wouldn't retract fully until I took it apart, cleaned it and reset the ribbon.

·
Premium Member
13,851 Posts

The one you circled in the picture is the only one I have ever seen used on the 560SL. Earlier 107's mat be different.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OR, as an alternative...plumbing strap.

Which is how I found mine installed.

And mine wouldn't retract fully until I took it apart, cleaned it and reset the ribbon.
Yeah mine looks pretty sad and very different from Ron's, I think I will just take it out and look at it more closely before I decide what to do. It is compelling to think of buying a nice new one for not much more than the cost of the one bracket on ebay...

·
Registered
1987 560SL
285 Posts
The nice new ones are inferior quality. I had to get a new one as the circuit board on my original was completely fried under previous ownership. I tried to get a new circuit board but nla. Used/refurbished boards or attennas, were only available from USA and were multiple price of a whole new attenna.
If I used the radio a lot I would probably revert to importing one of those refurbished ones and biting the bullet on cost because with the new ones the operating mechanism is just not good enough imho.
Though when it is up or retracted it looks fine.

·
Premium Member
13,851 Posts
Yeah mine looks pretty sad and very different from Ron's, I think I will just take it out and look at it more closely before I decide what to do. It is compelling to think of buying a nice new one for not much more than the cost of the one bracket on ebay...

The nice new one will not come with the bracket. You should be able to bend a bracket up yourself if your handy with a vice hammer and drill. and a piece of this stuff.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Russia, no thanks - this one is pricey but looks very nice....

As soon as I started trying to remove mine, it started disintegrating even more, all the rubber parts just turn to dust LOL so I don't think fixing it is an option, will see.

Antenna Seal part number is

·
Registered
1989 560SL
425 Posts
My 1998 560sl came without the original antenna. I did find one on ebay; an exact match. This is what an original will look like. Notice the ball on top that fits in the rubber grommet on the fender. Also see both sides are plastic.
The two seals were from the ebay vendor who gave a 30 day warrant.
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle door Trunk

Cable Auto part Fashion accessory Electronics accessory Nickel

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My 1998 560sl came without the original antenna. I did find one on ebay; an exact match. This is what an original will look like. Notice the ball on top that fits in the rubber grommet on the fender. Also see both sides are plastic.
I’m negotiating for one now, I noticed some vendors say “no refunds”, don’t like that. I tried to remove mine earlier and the screw was frozen, had to charge the Dremel, going to get after it shortly…

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
View attachment 2767561
I can see from this photo that mine isn’t mounted correctly, when I get that stubborn bolt out tomorrow, I’ll try to figure out why it’s twisted around. Maybe the connecting bracket is just loose. Thanks for this pic so I can see how’s it’s supposed to look.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts