Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2002 CL55 AMG, 1993 190E 2.3L, 2004 SLK320 Sport
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll,
I bought an extra remote from ebay last month for $10 & a key blade from MB for $40 and tried to programme myself but failed...lol
I was at Mercedes last week and ordered a 2nd key/remote for my 01' ML320. Apparently you cannot self
programme a second key/remote for these cars? Anyways, the cost was $250 and they told me that they'll
need an hour labor to programme the remote to adapt my keyless entry?
They also told me that these keys/remotes have a hard drive transponder that can only be coded by Mercedes Benz.
Is there a way I can perform this myself? (sinc my keyless entry to this new remote to avoid paying MB for this service)
??
Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
99 White ML320, 13 Audi S5,84 300ZX Turbo, 03 Audi A4, 03 Audi TT, 65 Ford Galaxie Conv
474 Posts
Some of you guys with more experience jump in, but all my reading has only confirmed that you need a dealer to do this. Even on my Audi with a VAGCOM tool and lots of research, you still need a pin from a data base that only the dealer has, so I will be taking my A4 to the dealer soon. Fortunately, on the A4 it is only $50.

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
3,103 Posts
The electronics in the ML's key has two completely separate functions.

The key has an RFID chip that works with the DAS (Drive Authorizing System) to allow the motor to run. This must be programmed by the dealer. The RFID chip does not require the battery in the remote to work. The DAS programming by the dealer takes about 15 minutes. Add another 15 minutes to process the work order and the whole process takes about 30 minutes.

The second function is the Remote Access / Keyless Entry buttons. The remote functions can be programmed by you. The instructions are in the manual and must be re-programmed every time you change the remote's battery. Programming takes about 3 minutes.

Mike

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So basically the stealership wins......They said they still need my truck for 1hr ????
I'm gonna ask them to do the "DAS" & maybe I can do the Remote Access. I don't want
to pay $120 for labor........rip off...

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
So basically the stealership wins......They said they still need my truck for 1hr ????
I'm gonna ask them to do the "DAS" & maybe I can do the Remote Access. I don't want
to pay $120 for labor........rip off...
I think they are charging you a minimum flat rate of 1 hour. If that is the case you might as well have them synchronize your keyless entry function at the same time since you are already paying for the time weather you use it or not. It'll take them only 3 minutes to do.
Mike

·
Registered
2000 ML430
176 Posts
I got my extra key from the dealership for about $110. I thought it was expansive. Apparently, it was a good deal. They did program the key. However, I was not charged for labor.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so I found out what's going on. When I get the key from Benz, it will be already programmed to my truck (DAS).
They want me to leave it there for approx 1 hr so they can programme the keyless entry & I would definitely be charged for that!

So I'll just take the key/remote and programme it myself! (I'm not paying anymore money to the stealership) It's bad enough that this key is costing me $275.....

Thanks you very much guys................Spiros

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Ok, so I found out what's going on. When I get the key from Benz, it will be already programmed to my truck (DAS).
They want me to leave it there for approx 1 hr so they can programme the keyless entry & I would definitely be charged for that!

So I'll just take the key/remote and programme it myself! (I'm not paying anymore money to the stealership) It's bad enough that this key is costing me $275.....

Something doesn't sound right. If the key starts the engine and it dies within 1 second then the RFID / DAS has not been programmed.
Please let us know how you made out with the new key.
Mike

·
Registered
1999 ML320
24,029 Posts

First of all, you bought a Mercedes.

The dealer is the only source for many black boxes and parts in this truck.

Realize that any failure of these would cost you a minimum of couple of hundred dollars.

Welcome to MB ownership.

·
Registered
1999 ML320 Elegance, BMW R1150RT, SAAB 9-3
282 Posts
Hi Spiros - i'm guessing you knew when you bought the truck that it only had one key and you would be faced one day with the cost of getting a spare (it would be crazy to not have a spare) .... well sadly seems your time to pay up is here. :surrender: hope you got a good deal on the vehicle to begin with. i would cast my memory back to that time if i were you to try to achieve some sort of inner peace... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
Mercedes ML-320 1998 + Mercedes C230 1997
33 Posts
O.K guys i'll tell you my history. (I'm from Costa Rica), i bougth a used ML320 '98, with just a key (but not the remote key). So i ordered a new one from a US Dealer ($175). Days after receive the remote key, my battery failed so my spare key failed too. I didn't knew that this keys lost its "properties" after several unsuccessful tries to start the car. so i taked my new key to try and the car starts at the first.
My question is: the spare key has also the RFID chip? how? where? could i to recover it?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hi Spiros - i'm guessing you knew when you bought the truck that it only had one key and you would be faced one day with the cost of getting a spare (it would be crazy to not have a spare) .... well sadly seems your time to pay up is here. :surrender: hope you got a good deal on the vehicle to begin with. i would cast my memory back to that time if i were you to try to achieve some sort of inner peace... :rolleyes:

Yea yea, I know it's a Mercedes, but I rather spend my money with something
interesting to my cars.................lol
"Unhofliche_Gesundheit", actually when I bought the ML, I made the used dealer
knock off $300 of the final sale price when I found out that there was
only one key. I asked him at first when I went to see the truck prior and he said,
"yea, I have 2 keys".

I just got my key/remote today and I'm a happy camper now....lol
One of the techs there also programmed the keyless entry for me too....
(the synchronization process in our manual did not work) The tech told me that
a new remote has to be computer-remote programmed.....

Crap, now I need an extra key/remote for my E55 AMG too.......haha
(parts priced it out for me @ $330 total)....I'll order one next week!

Thanks for all the help guys............Spiros

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 300SE
109 Posts
Key replaced

I got my extra key from the dealership for about $110. I thought it was expansive. Apparently, it was a good deal. They did program the key. However, I was not charged for labor.
Hi slimbelly, what dealership in OC did you go to?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1998 ML320 - Burgundy, 2004 SL600 - Pewter
59 Posts
Hey ya'll,
I bought an extra remote from ebay last month for $10 & a key blade from MB for $40 and tried to programme myself but failed...lol
I was at Mercedes last week and ordered a 2nd key/remote for my 01' ML320. Apparently you cannot self
programme a second key/remote for these cars? Anyways, the cost was $250 and they told me that they'll
need an hour labor to programme the remote to adapt my keyless entry?
They also told me that these keys/remotes have a hard drive transponder that can only be coded by Mercedes Benz.
Is there a way I can perform this myself? (sinc my keyless entry to this new remote to avoid paying MB for this service)
??
Thank you
If your keyblade matches your locks, you should be able open the door and startup the engine.
This is what I do with my second key that my wife forgot to remove before washing and drying cycle.
The elctronics are dead, but the mechanical part, the blade works perfectly fine.
BJ

·
Registered
2001 ML430 Sport bought in very nice shape despite 156K miles in August 2010
540 Posts
If your keyblade matches your locks, you should be able open the door and startup the engine.
This is what I do with my second key that my wife forgot to remove before washing and drying cycle.
The elctronics are dead, but the mechanical part, the blade works perfectly fine.
BJ
This is not right. The blade alone will open the locks, but will not start the car.

Each key [remote or valet] contains an RFID chip that is coded to the Drive Authorization System [DAS]. The car will not start without recognizing that the key in the ignition contains one of the RFID chips coded in the DAS.

The electronics in your remote may be dead, but the RFID chip is still there. That's why your drowned key still works to start the car.

·
Registered
Mercedes ML-320 1998 + Mercedes C230 1997
33 Posts
This is not right. The blade alone will open the locks, but will not start the car.

Each key [remote or valet] contains an RFID chip that is coded to the Drive Authorization System [DAS]. The car will not start without recognizing that the key in the ignition contains one of the RFID chips coded in the DAS.

The electronics in your remote may be dead, but the RFID chip is still there. That's why your drowned key still works to start the car.
I could to open and start the car using my valet key, but after a battery failure my valet just works to open the car. Is there some way to revive the valet key?

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,146 Posts
Had a friend lose functionality of the valet key and had to get it from the dealer.
Not sure what programming is needed on a 98 ML, but I am sure the dealer
will have to program it the DAS. I hope it does not take up one of the 8 slots on the
AAM.

·
Registered
2000 ML320, 2007 E350 4Matic
6 Posts
2000 ML320 Key issue

Ok, I'm not sure which way is up on this situation. I have the original 3 keys (2 electronic and 1 valet). Tried to start the ML with both of the electronic keys and "start error" comes up which from what I read points to DAS. Funny thing is the car starts with the Valet key.

Not sure what to do, the car has been running great, filled it up with gas and presto it would start.

Can i permanenly bypass the DAS to save $$$, or is there a way to reprogramme my keys?

I'm stumped.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
No, you cannot by-pass the DAS.

Before you insert the key into the ignition, look at the red ATA light above the Fog light Sw. and see that it blinks once.

I'm a little confused. You say when you filled the truck with gas, the problem was resolve. Could you explain this.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts