Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1973 220D, 1988 300SEL, 1991 300TE
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1973 220D (probably irrelevant to this question)

I want to have the beautiful car I once had - it's not that bad right now but time has taken a toll. I need to:

1. fix a few dings, paint and replace or rechrome a few chrome trim pieces
  2. Replace the headliner
  3. Replace the carpet (not just the mats but the fixed pieces around the edges too)
  4. Replace the window rubber (front and rear)
  5. Replace the window tracks (the guides the windows slide up and down in)
I can't afford to have all of done right now - but I can have some of it done and #4 is urgent since the rear window is leaking water when it rains and we can't have that. But I understand that when you replace the headliner you typically remove the windows (and replace the rubber). I could probably afford those two.

Numbers 3 and 5 looks like jobs I could do myself. That should save significant money.

But here is the question - the paint job is the most expensive and will have to wait; is it silly to do these other things first? Will they want to take rubber around the windows out to paint properly?

Any advice? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1973 220D, 1988 300SEL, 1991 300TE
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replace the car and UR done
No, no, not yet. I'm only half way to the one million miles I know are in this car. I just want it to look as nice for the second half as it did in the first half.

But if that's the way you feel why are you reading a "vintage" forum? I mean no disrespect but there are dozens more forums dedicated to new cars and their special new car smell.

·
Registered
282 Posts
You have a lovely car and honestly it's one of my favourites. Please upload some pictures of the areas you want to replace/repair

·
Registered
282 Posts
For proper painting rubber, mouldings, weather shields are important to be removed first. Make sure to remove them very carefully. Some stuff is little troublesome to find.

·
Registered
1970 280 sel, 1979 300sd, 1988 300sel
303 Posts
looking back on my mistakes and errors, you might want to spend the money on the exterior. you will feel a lot more comfortable driving a nice car with a nice exterior than a jacked up car and a nice interior....the inside can wait....plus if you do the outside first chances are that you will be motivated to do the inside ASAP vs the other way around. I know many people who have nice interiors and wait 10+ years before they paint...if you go that route your car will always be ugly to your neighbors...learn from my mistakes...oh yeah..please prep your car and block it well before you paint...make sure that there are no waves or dings...ive seen many classic cars with shiny shiny paints and they still look like crap...

·
Registered
1962 W111 220SE Coupe
2,289 Posts
You've encountered the old Benz conundrum, which is planning the most logical order of your restoration. Yes, ideally you would repaint the car with the windscreens out since removing front and rear are necessary to get a correct looking paint job, and on some of the older cars you can't really replace headliner without removing the rubber seals. I say use a flowable silicone sealant on the rubber to prevent any further leaking until you can afford a paint job performed along with the headliner and seals replacement, or do just the headliner and seals using the aftermarket brand, cheaper, so you can justify throwing them away when you eventually do repaint and can use OEM seals at that time. Mind you, some people claim the aftermarket seals don't always seal right either, so you may prefer to simply wait until you can do these all as a batch using proper materials/parts.
My car also needs windshield seals and repaint so I chose the flowable sealant route until I can do all the seals, and paint at the same time. I will likely just dye my headliner rather than replace it since it's not torn or tattered.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Paint it

I just had my 1969 220d touched up (wherever there was rust) and buffed out. It looks new and only cosy $450. Still needs some of the other things you mentioned, but am enjoying it more now.

·
Registered
73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
2,280 Posts
If you paint the car the same color, there's no need to remove windshield and rubber and etc etc. The body shop will tape off the stuff and respray your whole car. Things like bumpers and grills may need to come down, but they're easy to remove.

I'm not sure what Maaco charges, but this is the route they go. A complete removal of everything, paint and reinstallation of everything will cost in the thousands.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am in the same boat with my 1980 300SD. The FIRST order of business for me is getting the car water tight which means new window rubber, door seals, and trunk seal. Although it is garaged, taking it out for work like the flexible down pipe exposes the car to rain. It was getting an interior sill and trunk panel repaired and on the day of pick up it rained and I had an inch of water in the floor. back to square 1 on drying it out etc. I will put Fat Mat, household carpet pad, and carpet in ONLY after I have confirmed that it is water tight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts