Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
'99 ML320, '83 240D
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
These beasts are hardly even ML's anymore. They all have custom fab tubular chassis, fiberglass bodies, reworked suspensions, and double coil overs front and rear. Imagine what you could do with a solid axle swap in an ML!!

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
That is INSANE ... I love it !!

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
chia - 2/15/2005 8:07 PM

These beasts are hardly even ML's anymore. They all have custom fab tubular chassis, fiberglass bodies, reworked suspensions, and double coil overs front and rear. Imagine what you could do with a solid axle swap in an ML!!
All they do is paint an ML and put on some decals. They are absolutely stock. Just like NASCAR stock cars.

[:eek:)]

·
Registered
419 Posts
GreenM3 - 2/17/2005 11:12 PM

All they do is paint an ML and put on some decals. They are absolutely stock. Just like NASCAR stock cars.

I hate to tell you but a NASCAR “stock� car has to be the biggest misnomer in the business, they have nothing in common with a stock car, nor engine or transmission or frame or suspension or brakes, just a shell that looks like their counterpart is slapped on that tubular frame.

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
Andrew - 2/17/2005 11:35 PM

GreenM3 - 2/17/2005 11:12 PM

I hate to tell you but a NASCAR “stock� car has to be the biggest misnomer in the business, they have nothing in common with a stock car, nor engine or transmission or frame or suspension or brakes, just a shell that looks like their counterpart is slapped on that tubular frame.
Yes. I know that. Thus, the clown face.

Those ORC machines are just like "stock cars".

[:)]

·
Registered
03 ML500
789 Posts
I got it whe I saw the [:eek:)]
You are such a jocker[;)]
Those machines are not ML's anymore, eventhough they look like one. Same with most vehicles going to Dakar Rally, and that's a pitty because if I want to do the same or even get close, I couldn't. So what's the purpose of using such vehicles as marketing tools? That's why I really enjoy WRC cars. You can actually buy a rally car, for the street. I know, still many modifications to suspension, engine and more, but very close to its full race cousin.

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
ORC has built two different M-Class prototypes. The red one in the pictures uses a ML500 engine and is completely different from stock. It has mechanical difflocks center, rear and front. So far it completed one Dakar, in 2004 and placed about 25th in its category, Super Production Gas 4x4s.

http://www.dakar.fr/2004/us/classementsSpecif.oft?service=DRaceServer&RaceYear=2004&RaceType=DAK&StandingType=SCR_A&StageNumber=1610&Group=T2&Class=T2.1&Category=MOTO

The blue green one is a ML buggy prototype with the new 3.5 liter 4 valve per cylinder gas engine. It has not yet run a Dakar, and might be entered in 2006. So far one race completed, on last place, and one withdrawal in another race, due to navigation problems. Let's hope for a bright future. [:)]

·
Registered
ML500, 2005
412 Posts
Nascar demands that only the hood,roof and trunk lid are "stock metal parts, of oringinal manufacture" the rest is made in the shop.
jd

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
Some ML 350 EVO II pictures were released:

all plastic to reduce weight to 1750 kg

3.5 liter AMG V6 with 280 hp

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
And after the first day of racing in the Dakar 2006 today.... The ORC ML 350 EVO II is on place 66 behind two ML 430s running in the production class. Here's a listing of the 6 MLs in the race:

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/trips.html

·
Registered
Ml 500SE
269 Posts
jdanish - 2/19/2005 8:37 AM

Nascar demands that only the hood,roof and trunk lid are "stock metal parts, of oringinal manufacture" the rest is made in the shop.
jd
Also the engine block and cylinder head castings are OEM, but I doubt you could buy them. In the 80,s we had to send the used head castings back to the factory to be melted before we could get new ones! [8D]

·
Registered
11,243 Posts

I'd love to do this with our ML someday. But it's not gonna happen.[:D]

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
asianml - 1/1/2006 1:58 PM

I'd love to do this with our ML someday. But it's not gonna happen.[:D]
First you must learn to drive second you must get a license, Third you must be older than 12 and when all thats done you must ask your mother if you are allowed to use the car and destroy it as its her car not yours!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts