Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Options (survey)

1295 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  190E-Boy
Hi.
Just a little survey as I feel very privleged to own a car with just about every toy on it. Its 1991 2.6 190E Brilliant Silver with Black interior. The following are unusual options: 1. Power seats both driver and passenger 2. Heated front seats
3. Traction Control. Of all the 190E's I've never seen another with tractions control (ASR).

ssb
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Well the 190 had a pretty long production run, by american standards. It ran from 1983 to...

Well the 190 had a pretty long production run, by american standards. It ran from 1983 to 1993. It was introduced in the US I believe in '84... but not positive.

With a car that runs that long, there are definately going to be a lot of changes from year to year, and LOTS of changes comparing the '83 to the '93. Majority of the 190s sold were built before most of those nice options were even sold with the car. My car has no ABS or air bag. I wish it had ABS, glad it has no air bag. Also, if you look at whoever would have bought a 190 new, they were rich, but not rich enough for a E or an S. So they wouldn't load it up too much since they're buying a 190, ya know? I don't care what anyone says, the 190 was still pretty expensive new, and it came with nice features standard.

So all of those things work against the majority of the 190s on the road being loaded.

Just my thoughts.

· Registered
190E 2.6 , 1996 E300
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea! I'm just curious. I've spec'd out quite a few 190E's young and old and I've yet to...

Yea! I'm just curious. I've spec'd out quite a few 190E's young and old and I've yet to see one with traction control or loaded up and as Nate points out, most people who couldn't purchase a true "E" or "S" class Benz would opt for the 190E (predecessor to the C class). I find it rather strange my previous owner would decide to load up a 190E rather than "jumping" up a class. I love my 190E, wouldn't trade it for a E320 either or a newer C. Offer me a Evo or a 16V-2.3 and then you've got me thinking. Always on the prowl for one of those. Also, are there any options my 1st owner didn't get that I should envy?

thanks

· Registered
190E 2.6
9 Posts
asr

does the asr actually work? my 190e also has the power seats and abs, but I had never heard that the ASR ever came out on 91' 190e's. Could it be an option the previous owner modified onto the car?
Try making a u-turn while accelerating hard and see if the tail spins. If it does, that's not traction control.

· Registered
190E 2.6 , 1996 E300
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ASR

The ASR was an option available at the time of purchase. I believe it may have been the first year it was available on the 190's, (I have the sales brochure for the 1991 190E's ). As far as it working, its good enough for me on a 1991 rear wheel drive car. Essentially when one of the wheels is moving more or less with respect to the others the ASR kicks in and reduces the amount of power to the wheel thats spinning "freely" while also backing off on the wheel that has traction. Plus a little yellow "yield" light comes on to tell you you're not fully in control, which is pretty helpful in itself. As far as making a U-turn while accelerating hard, that's how I check out the ASR to make sure its still working, that or turning hard on gravely roads but thats not good for the paint with all the rocks kicking up.

· Registered
6 Posts
Re: Yea! I'm just curious. I've spec'd out quite a few 190E's young and old and I've yet to

Also, are there any options my 1st owner didn't get that I should envy?

thanks
The ultimate 190E is the '93 2.6 Limited Edition with the factory Sportline and all available 190E options standard -- see: http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container.jsp?/overview/overview_engine.jsp?spec=3&subNav=overview&yearModelCode=88_190E26LE&class=88_190&rnav=024568&menu=2_0

and http://www.benzsport.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4093&perpage=15&highlight=limited%20edition&pagenumber=3 --see pics on p3

· Registered
190E 2.6 , 1996 E300
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ultimate 190

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1869062492

check that one out!

I looked at the limited edition pics and it still seemed to lack a few options, I saw no ASR switch (in case you put on snow tires, turns off ASR below ~20-30 mph...good for trying to race off the line..but starting in 2nd gear doesn't help much) . Also, no switches for seat heaters.
But its performance/handling specs were impressive not to mention that red/black interior...very swank!

· Registered
190 e
15 Posts
I have every option that was available on the 88 but I have a late year 87. Heated seat...

I have every option that was available on the 88 but I have a late year 87. Heated seats, climate control, ABS, SRS, sunroof, electric mirrors, leather interior, Intergrated Cell phone that is lame and now gone. It's pretty pimp for a 87.

· Registered
S430,190E 2.6,SL500
194 Posts
I bought the 190E 2.6 new in 1991. I could have jumped to a 300E 2.6 but decided to go for...

I bought the 190E 2.6 new in 1991. I could have jumped to a 300E 2.6 but decided to go for the performance. (Damn, it's been a long time) I opted for the power seats, leather seating and the moonroof which added up to about $35,000 at that time. Or I could have gotten a 300E 2.6 for about $7000 more but then it would be the boring version wihtout the goodies.
I wish I had gotten the ASR and heated seats, it would be nice to have.
My 190 is still with me at only 49,500 miles and I plan on keeping it forever. It's been the best car I have ever gotten or will ever get in life.

· Registered
190E 2.6 , 1996 E300
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow! 49,500 miles in almost 12 years

Thats impressive! I own a '91 190E 2.6 and I'm putting almost that many miles on a year. No joke! I too love the car, bought it almost 2 years ago and my friend with an E320 keeps trying to convince me a C280 would be a great car when/if I need to replace it (I'm at 157K now). I keep looking at other 190's, I love their size, power, handling and style.

Mine is Brilliant Silver with black interior!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.