Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For those that cannot get to the other site, try this one. In one of the pictures, you can see my fence on top of the hill.

http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1202638&posts=3&fid=28

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am sold on this wax. Our MB club had a tech session at our local MB dealership and a Optimum representative was there doing a presentation. 3 weeks later, I decided to get it. Now, it just takes me about 30 minutes to wax two cars. In the past it took me about 3 hours to wax 2 cars with the Meguiar’s product.

I can not wait to show off my wax job at our MB club’s meeting this Thursday.

·
Registered
CLK 55 AMG '03
136 Posts
Very impressed! So you clayed and directly sprayed Optimum?...or did you polish as well? Any special instructions on applying a spray on wax as opposed to others..which makes it a 15m job only? Please let me know? Also is it synthetic? What's the quality of shine like...more towards that synthetic effect or a carnuba effect?

Cheers!

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ashar - 3/10/2005 7:23 PM

Very impressed! So you clayed and directly sprayed Optimum?...or did you polish as well? Any special instructions on applying a spray on wax as opposed to others..which makes it a 15m job only? Please let me know? Also is it synthetic? What's the quality of shine like...more towards that synthetic effect or a carnuba effect?

Cheers!
I did not polish. I just sparay on the Optimum wax and wipe off/buff the excess with a micro-fiber towel. Optimum has high-grade carnauba wax, silicone sealants and UV inhibitors. So I guess it a combination of synthetic and carnuba. Optimum results look like my Meguair's Gold Class wax results.

http://www.topoftheline.com/spray-wax.html

Be careful on how you use the word polish. Polish to me is just a polish. It just creates a brilliant shine and gloss. Some polish will remove swirls because it has light abrasion in it.

http://www.meguiars.com/faq/_index.cfm?faqCat=Paint%20Care&faqQuestionID=51§ion=_51#_51

·
Registered
CLK 55 AMG '03
136 Posts
RE: For tiggerfink.

tiggerfink or anyone else;

I can't get a dealer to ship a couple of Optimum Sprays overseas. Could you help out..post it USPS to Australia. Can pay in advance by Paypal if you wish. Will appreciate this as I am really keen on finding the ultimate time cut down wax solution!

Let me know.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RE: For tiggerfink.

Ashar - 3/13/2005 4:44 AM

tiggerfink or anyone else;

I can't get a dealer to ship a couple of Optimum Sprays overseas. Could you help out..post it USPS to Australia. Can pay in advance by Paypal if you wish. Will appreciate this as I am really keen on finding the ultimate time cut down wax solution!

Let me know.

Cheers!
Go look at me new pics in a dull winter day. I wish the sun will come back. I sent an email to Optimum regrading your question.

The good thing about Optimum is that you can layer it. I will out on the second coat next week.

http://www.optimumcarcare.com/optimumwax.html

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would appreciate if you refer anyone in Australia to www.Autogeek.net
which is our sole distributor for the Australian market.
The CEO of Optimum reply back to my email and ask to let folks know that anyone in Australia can purchase Optimum from www.Autogeek.net

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am going to wax car on Sunday and get ready for Star Tech.

It is also the offical end of my wax testing. I have not wax it since the start of the test. The results are great for a 15 minute spary on and wipe wax job. The Mercedes and BMW dealers in Memphis sells Optimum and uses it for their detailing that they charge around $140 bucks.

http://www.optimumcarcare.com/testimonials.html

Attachments

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
tiggerfink - 4/16/2005 12:46 AM

I am going to wax car on Sunday and get ready for Star Tech.

It is also the offical end of my wax testing. I have not wax it since the start of the test. The results are great for a 15 minute spary on and wipe wax job. The Mercedes and BMW dealers in Memphis sells Optimum and uses it for their detailing that they charge around $140 bucks.

http://www.optimumcarcare.com/testimonials.html
Have you ever used Zaino? Do you know how this differs from the Zaino products?

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
malibuite - 4/17/2005 4:45 PM

Have you ever used Zaino? Do you know how this differs from the Zaino products?
I have not tried Zanio. Some of my friends swear by it and other hate it. Just try out the wax products and find one that meets your needs in shine, gloss, and durability. In my case, the 15 minute job won my heart and it last more than two months.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Nice MB[:)] And great work on the detail.

I have been using the Optimum products for some time now, had the privy of using the Optimum Polish before it was introduced publicly, and it is now my go to product for removing swirls, scratches and for final finishing before waxing.

If anyone has any questions regarding the other products and how to best use them please let me know.

Adios,
Anthony

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Anthony Orosco - 4/18/2005 8:41 AM

I have been using the Optimum products for some time now, had the privy of using the Optimum Polish before it was introduced publicly, and it is now my go to product for removing swirls, scratches and for final finishing before waxing.

If anyone has any questions regarding the other products and how to best use them please let me know.

Adios,
Anthony
Sorry, I am new to all of this as I have always had my cars detailed and now want to try and do it myself.

So the polish does not replace waxing? You still have to wax?

·
Registered
2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
2,533 Posts
looks good, tiger!

i have to wonder though, wouldnt most car care products short of gravel paste make a late model sl look shiny?

i'd like to see this product last for more than a week on my old 240, that paint is thirsty!

a polish/wax lasts me 2 weeks, but by then it is spotty and not slick anymore!

anyhoo, i digress...good job! [:)]

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
iNeon - 4/18/2005 3:27 PM

looks good, tiger!

i have to wonder though, wouldnt most car care products short of gravel paste make a late model sl look shiny?

i'd like to see this product last for more than a week on my old 240, that paint is thirsty!

a polish/wax lasts me 2 weeks, but by then it is spotty and not slick anymore!

anyhoo, i digress...good job! [:)]
The clear coat makes the car shinny. Some waxes will go you a better mirror reflection. Optimum was designed for the new clear coat paint jobs. It protects the paint with UV protection. Basically we are waxing the clear coat.

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anthony Orosco - 4/18/2005 10:41 AM

Adios,
Anthony
The founder and CEO of Optimum is going to speak at the Memphis Mercedes club on June 16.

Anyone can come to the monthly dinner/meeting.

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
malibuite - 4/18/2005 11:49 AM

Adios,
Anthony
Sorry, I am new to all of this as I have always had my cars detailed and now want to try and do it myself.

Meguairs Gold Class Wax is a polish/wax. Meguair's use polishes here as a product to create gloss and shine. Other brand of polishes has small abrasions in it that will remove swirl marks and scratches. You really have to understand the function of the products in order to use them.

Read these links.
http://www.meguiars.com/faq/_index.cfm?faqCat=Paint%20Care&faqQuestionID=51&section=_51#_51

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/how-to.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anthony Orosco - 4/18/2005 11:41 AM

Adios,
Anthony
Anthony how do you feel about Menzerna? I just purchased some IP and FPII to use on my 1999 Black E430. I am now wondering if I purchased the right product for the job. Thanks for any help that you might be able to provide!

·
Registered
153 Posts
malibuite - 4/18/2005 11:49 AM

Adios,
Anthony

Hello,

Polishing is basically abrading away paint. Also called "leveling". In other words you do not literally remove a scratch, for example, rather you remove or level, the paint surrounding the scratch to the level of the scratch. It only appears you are removing the scratch.

Most polishes do not contain any wax nor should they be used as a substitute to wax or sealants. Rather they are for the prepping of paint prior to waxing.

Hope that helps,
Anthony

1 - 20 of 29 Posts