Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shopping for an inexpensive 2008 S550 4matic. I am not shy of high miles provided that the car was taken care of. I need it as a utility car to put 50-60K mi on it yearly. What is the optimal mileage of a target car if I expect to put 100 additional miles on it in the next 2 years from the total cost of ownership (not just cost pf purchase point of view?). I have 3 local junk yards which have 1-2 cars every month to pull parts from for cheap. I am thinking between 80Kmi to 130Kmi.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Seems like a bit of a paradox. An old S class will drown you with repairs and driving 50k per year when are you going to have time to go to a yard to hunt for parts nevermind troubleshooting.

An LS460L might be a better bet.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,864 Posts
You can go on kbb.com and enter the information requested; they will give you average mileage for the model year for cars in your area. We also have some links in the DIY & FAQs that discuss reliability at high mileage. It is not unusual for previous years of S-Class cars to go 250,000; our W221s have generally not gotten that old yet, but I would not expect them to do any worse - probably better.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,786 Posts
our W221s have generally not gotten that old yet, but I would not expect them to do any worse - probably better.
I agree with Skylaw here. My '08 S550, non-4MATIC has seen 147k miles and still runs like a champ. The key from my experience is actually maintaining it as it was meant to be, no cheap parts, no 'good-enough', do the service with the thought in mind that any shortcuts might just be a ticket to ride in the tow truck.

There is another dude on this forum that has a fleet of W221s he runs around Chesapeake, VA area -- "Chesapeake Limo" is his handle. Several of his cars have over 300k miles before they get to the point where it is time to move on. Here's a link to his high mileage post;

ChesapeakeLimo

The biggest risk in any high mileage, older Benz is replacement cost. My previous E430 had 181k miles on it and was totaled after an accident only because the headlights were both shattered and being Xenon would cost more than half of the car's value to replace. But if you're in it to win it and it sounds like recycled parts are plentiful I would look for a 100k+ car that is in good shape and just have at it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm driving a 2007 with 197,000 miles that runs great and was well maintained and I'm continuing with the tradition. Many of the system modules in my car have been updated using Star/Xentry and IMO a required tool for this car.

·
Registered
791 Posts
My 07 Has 186,xxx miles. It is having a transmission solenoid failure code. It goes in limpmode when cold and after I reset the code when it's at regular temps, It works with no problem.
Like any S class, parts are not cheap.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My 07 Has 186,xxx miles. It is having a transmission solenoid failure code. It goes in limpmode when cold and after I reset the code when it's at regular temps, It works with no problem.
Like any S class, parts are not cheap.
I don't think you can make a blanket statement with respect to the cost of parts. Many online outlets offer genuine parts or OEM for less than retail and some of these outlets are connected to Mercedes dealerships. It depends on the part and how much shopping around you do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts