Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 SLK 55 AMG
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When driving in sport mode, holding the gear shift lever to the left for a few seconds downshifts to the most optimal gear, for whatever is in your sights...does it auto shift to the next gear when full throttle is applied. or is it now in a manual shift mode. Kind of didn't want to try this if it wouldn't shift up automatically.

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
beppo98 said:
When driving in sport mode, holding the gear shift lever to the left for a few seconds downshifts to the most optimal gear, for whatever is in your sights...does it auto shift to the next gear when full throttle is applied. or is it now in a manual shift mode. Kind of didn't want to try this if it wouldn't shift up automatically.
It will upshift at or near the redline. Works very nicely.

·
Registered
SLK55, SL600, A4
26 Posts
When the 55 is in sport mode, and you select a lower gear manually, this gear is now the limit. If you slow down enough it will automatically downshift but when upshifting again, it will stop at the gear that you had manually selected, even when bumping off the rev limiter. If you hold the lever to the right for a couple seconds, it will bump back up to drive and function automatically through the full range again.

**Sorry, I was repeating what some others had said elsewhere, but after checking it this evening, it will shift normally below the selected gear but when you get back to the gear that you had downshifted to (whether manually or shift-to-optimum) it will go to the redline and then upshift to the next gear. I didn't have time or space to check if it did this for each additional gear above that.

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
788 Posts
On a 55AMG in sport mode, there is NO difference in the behavior of the shift computer AFTER the shift to optimum versus just down shifting it "normally" (i.e. not using the hold to optimum, but just bumping it down one gear at a time).

In other words if you are in D, and you hold for shift-to-optimum and it goes to 4, after that it acts the same as if you had toggled it D to 6, 6 to 5, and 5 to 4.

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
bradmg said:
When the 55 is in sport mode, and you select a lower gear manually, this gear is now the limit. If you slow down enough it will automatically downshift but when upshifting again, it will stop at the gear that you had manually selected, even when bumping off the rev limiter. If you hold the lever to the right for a couple seconds, it will bump back up to drive and function automatically through the full range again.
Brad, I think you're describing M mode, not S. I could be wrong, of course.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts