Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be buying a new battery soon. Which is better? The Optima or Interstate? Which series? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
86 420 sel,
162 Posts
i use interstate mtp 93 & 91 in the shop. they last around 5-7 years. i got optima in my boat (3 blue tops), but then again it is sitting a lot, and we are playing loud at the lake parties. unless you have a huge stereo system, go w/ mtp-93.
i have a 400w system in mine w/ a mtp 93. works great

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I've been slowly switching my car's to optima and have been Very pleased. When my SEL was hit it sat for 3 months and fired in the first couple of cranks.. I've noticed advance auto has a good price on their red tops...

Jonathan

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,678 Posts
I have an interstate battery, dont recall the specs on it thou it was just replaced about 3 months ago it wasnt even that old maybe 12 months at the most. I have a 900watt amp connected up to 3 Infinity 12s (300w rms each) when i turn the system up at night my headlights dim each time the bass hits.

·
Registered
Gertrûd - 1988 300SE
194 Posts
I've owned several Optima batteries in my different cars, red yellow and blue tops alike. Blue is meant for Marine, Red top is standard, and Yellow top is a deep cycle. While working at my old stereo shop in Spokane, whenever we did any high-end systems ($5k-100k) we would always install at least one Optima battery. I've never ever had any problems with the Optimas, and I refuse to use anything else. Sadly enough, I currently have some POS battery from Batteries Plus in Gertrud, but will be switching it over to a yellow top before summer. I highly recommend the Optimas. They are more money, but it's like comparing our Mercedes to a Honda [:p] In the end, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1988 560SEL sold:
4,717 Posts
If I were to go with the Optima Red Top, which one should I install for my 560SEL? Optima's website notes that they do not have a compatible battery for my car when I perform the compatible battery search.

·
Registered
84 300TD, 2005 CDI, 2006 CLS55
1,041 Posts
If you have a large stereo you ought to change your alternator to a higher amp rated model. Having a "better" battery is not the answer- the battery just powers what ever the alternator cannot due to demand, and if you demand more on a consistant basis, the only real answer is to supply more... which means a alt with a higher rating than the 65 amp stock unit. Bosch makes a 115 amp rated model which fits with minor adjustments that is found in Saab's in junkyards. due a search on "115 amp" and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
w126 420 sel
622 Posts
interstate battery is what the 420 has. very good battery so far. the most it sat was for 3 weeks and started up great. just make sure you get the correct make for our model. spekaing of batteries, i remember the the 420sel had a mbz battery and it was pain casue i think it was one of those batteries you have to maintain with water every now and then. i gues those days are done with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts