Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

I am concerned about my car in the arizona heat. It gets to 170+ deg in my car in the summer time a

• Spend $400 on Huper Optik Tint

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Spend $150 on Normal Tint

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Dont buy tint your car will be fine in the az heat.

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am concerned about my car in the arizona heat. It gets to 170+ deg in my car in the summer time and I dont want my dash to crack. If I park with my rear to the sun and bought window tint do you think it might help save it?

I also want some privacy. Being 21 and driving this car I get a lot of shit so I wanna hide myself.

The shop for $150 can put on normal tint and it will be dark and have UV protection ect.. but 77% of the heat will still make it through.

German engineering came up with a Huper Optik tint that stops 77% of the heat for $400 however it isnt as dark. The guy at the shop said he would layer it untill it was as dark as it could be for me for $50 more.

What do you think I should do?

here is the website on the specs about this new tint they have.

http://huperoptikusa.com/

--Deathy

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts
I vote for Huper optic, but don't layer it so it's too dark. I don't know if you've ever been in car with really tinted windows, but sometimes you have to drive with your windows open at night to even be able to see. I guess you probably drive with your top down all year round, so that's not a problem. Only time it would be really bad is if it was raining at night...you couldnt see shit and you couldnt open your windows to see.

So final verdict, I say go with the sun-blocking tint, but only put 2 layers on probably...you really don't want it too dark.

·
Registered
SLK32
915 Posts
I completely agree with Da_surg. Go for the sun blocking ability, and don't worry about the tint. I feel a little tint would look good on an SLK, but I'm not a fan of dark tinting on it.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the manager lied to me about a few small details so I asked if I could jump onine real fast and read something. He sent me across the street to the corporate office and they let me use a computer. I figured out that my valentine radar detector is not going to work with the shit he wanted to attach to my car. I informed him he should have a special kind of tint for the back window special for mercedes. He looked all confused and got mean about how he knows all about everything. Well he called his boss, walked over to a box and pulled this special shit out. he said sorry but I was a tad annoyed that he wasnt open to the idea that I knew more than he did at this point. I decided I wasnt comfortabl at the moment spending a buncha money when this is all up in the air and decided to leave.

I did however manage to get novell and IP settings for Dannys Car Wash Corporate lol.

Letting me use a pc was a mistake I tell you.

--Deathy

·
Registered
2002 SLK32 AMG, 2006 CLS55 AMG
109 Posts
Deathly, I talked recently with a long-time resident of AZ about the sun protection. He stated most people buy the full length window shades (mostly with the mirror reflection). These usually protect the car and also will keep the car cooler. The major issue with tinting is the trade-offs are not worth it (dark enough to protect the inside, but hard to see at night and the V1 range is reduced).

I've also remember a little solar powered fan that fit in the window (slight crack), it circulated air in the cabin. Not sure where you can get one, but I will try to locate a link for you (and me).

I'm probably moving to Tempe in the fall of this year, so I need to use the same solution you are looking for.

TJ
[8D][:D]

·
Registered
2002 SLK32 AMG, 2006 CLS55 AMG
109 Posts
RE: Solar powered fan

Here is a link to get one. I would still use the window shade too.

http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/pcd/5824118/prd/8332932/ccsyn/260

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
RE: Solar powered fan

The stock mercedes glass has a slight tint to it from the factory that is designed to reduce UV passthru.

Best thing to do is to get a full length sunblocker for the front window and put it up everytime you park.

Don't be so sure that the tint will reduce the type of shit you get driving your car. It may just be that you shift from one group to another as to who is giving you shit.

Also if you get your windows tinted make sure they use mole skin on the side windows. Otherwise the trim will scratch your tint.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 6-spd
206 Posts
I would go with the best you can find that you like. Since you live in the heat you know that anything you do with tinting will help. I don't think anything will give you 100%. I got mine tinted a week after getting it. Makes a big difference with glare when driving with the windows up. [8D]

I also got a dashmat, used picture hanging hooks, bent and cut them into a C shape with the a long side with the hole in the metal (where the nail goes to attach to the wall). I hand sewed a corduroy cover over the C hook and sewed it to the back of the dashmat so it can hook into the dash windscreen vent. No adhesive needed. The metal is soft so you can adust the pressure. I remove it ever so often and clean the dash.

Also use the windscreen blocker when parked, it will help. [8D]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts