Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a complete interior redo, absolutely everything. Also doing a high quality paint job. The painter says to let him paint it first. Of course, the interior guy wants me to do the interior first. I'm leaning towards paint first. Opinions????

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,678 Posts
I'd say interior first. My thinking is: while working on the interior one might take something out and accedentially hit the the car with it scratch the paint up a little or something like that. I would do the interior work first that way I would have to be less cautious around the paint because its going to get redone. Does that make sense?

Its also like, would you wash the outside of the car first or clean the inside first? I do the interior first. I dont know about anyone else.

Kris

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
I'd do the paint first. Spend butloads of cash on new interior work. Then to have posable over spray on your new stuff when hitting the door jams, and doing the bottoms of the doors and such. Better to save a bit of time on masking the interior by not having to worry about new things.

Or strip the whole interior then paint. Get the whole car the same color. Silly idea I know [:eek:)]

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See the painter is a top, top painter but a friend also for over 25 years. Almost thinking of using a different painter so I can bitch if it is not done to my satisfaction. Hard to bitch at a lifelong friend. Not anticipating any problems, just trying to make this as painless as possible. Whenever I do biz w/a friend or relative, I worry to much. Make sense?

·
Registered
1986 SEC 560
164 Posts
If the painter is your friend n't he take extra care of your baby,.I'd do the exterior first, if your gonna be painting door jambs and such its just less to mask and get overspray on

·
Registered
380SEC EURO
1,430 Posts
I’d have the exterior painted first. I fail to see the logic in completely redoing the interior first then having the car painted. But hey, that's just me...

·
Registered
1985 500SEL
835 Posts
I Agree.. never use your fiends for any jobs..

they wont do the job right trust me.. get someone else so you can get your money's worth..

[:)]

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I would have thought this was straightforward...completely remove the interior, give it to the guy refurbing the interior....in the meantime send the car to the paintshop to have the body done properly.

There is no way any interior refurb can be done properly without completely removing the entire interior form the car - too many hidden areas.

·
Registered
1982 300SD
692 Posts
Talbit has is right.
Do it the way the factory did it.
Remove the interior. While it is being refurbished, take the car to the paint shop. Remove everything. Paint. Reinstall interior.

·
Registered
1982 300SD
692 Posts
Talbit has is right.
Remove the interior. While it is being refurbished, take the car to the paint shop. Remove everything. Paint. Reinstall interior.

·
Registered
1988 560SEL sold:
4,717 Posts
MS Fowler - 5/17/2005 6:07 AM

I absolutely agree. Emulating the assembly line process is probably the best way to go since much consideration was given to logistics of putting the car together when the assembly line was designed.

·
Registered
86 560SEL
1,324 Posts
Yep, I think that is the best way to go if budget allows. For me, I'd go with a standard paint job when the time comes. I put a limited budget for stuff like that but more on maintaining and performance.

·
Registered
1988 300E '91 560SEL
137 Posts
MrTikket, I would have to agree with you on this one. I would think very hard before letting a goodfriend do something for me so costly, and requiring such an amount of Detail. If something goes wrong it might cost you the friendship, and on the other hand if something goes wrong and you don't say anything you will have spent big bucks on something your not happy with. Then again there's always macco, those guys take a cussing pretty well.lol Just kidding of course.lol

MRTIKKET - 5/17/2005 12:33 AM

See the painter is a top, top painter but a friend also for over 25 years. Almost thinking of using a different painter so I can bitch if it is not done to my satisfaction. Hard to bitch at a lifelong friend. Not anticipating any problems, just trying to make this as painless as possible. Whenever I do biz w/a friend or relative, I worry to much. Make sense?

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Always paint first on a ground up resto. Risking first rate interior work by doing paint after the fact is a Big gamble..!

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the help! I have always just given a car to a restorer and they jobbed all the duties to various shops. This is the first time that I'm really involved. By the way, the front seats will be the AMG/Recaros found on a few126's including my wide-body. Once I saw them, I knew that I wanted them in my other MBs.

No, leaving the engine bay to the discretion of my painter as he has a great underhood detail guy. I'm strongly thinking with a mild supercharger setup through supercharged sec. His headers are a must. I wish others on this forum contemplating either exhaust or supercharger would decide, so we could make a small group buy.

Oh one more thing! Went over to take a look at the 85 SEC today. From sitting and going no place in a week or so, a long crack has sprung from the center of the dash! Lovely!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts