Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1981 380SL
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came into a set of "vintage", unused 16x7.5 BBS wheels with a 5x120 bolt pattern. The offset is such that I would need a 1" (approx.) thick wheel adapter to clear the front tie rods (they are ET34). A spacer is one thing, but a wheel adapter is something I have never used, and the idea of a wheel lug that is not screwed into the hub itself makes me a little uneasy.

I have been in touch with a fella who machines adapters to order, so I would be able to get a nice, thick adapter that is a hub-centric match to hub and wheel... and also not a cheap cast part.

Thoughts on safety, etc?

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
23,012 Posts
Adaptec comes to mind. I think you are looking at about $300 in adapters. So the wheels have to be very cheap to justify. There certainly are lots of nice BMW wheel options out there though.

·
Registered
2005 SRT Crossfire. 1973 Euro 450SL
172 Posts
I came into a set of "vintage", unused 16x7.5 BBS wheels with a 5x120 bolt pattern. The offset is such that I would need a 1" (approx.) thick wheel adapter to clear the front tie rods (they are ET34). A spacer is one thing, but a wheel adapter is something I have never used, and the idea of a wheel lug that is not screwed into the hub itself makes me a little uneasy.

I have been in touch with a fella who machines adapters to order, so I would be able to get a nice, thick adapter that is a hub-centric match to hub and wheel... and also not a cheap cast part.

Thoughts on safety, etc?
I have used this site for my Crossfires (SLK320's) they have a good selection and you can get the longer bolts too. www.ezaccessory.com

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
11,048 Posts

Thoughts on safety, etc?

Should be able to use < 20mm. Those are available as spacers.

·
Registered
1981 380SL
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
right, but the wheels have a 5x120 bolt pattern, which afaik is not compatible with mercedes 5x112. 1" is the minimum width for adapters, I believe. Probably a good reason for it!

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
23,012 Posts
right, but the wheels have a 5x120 bolt pattern, which afaik is not compatible with mercedes 5x112. 1" is the minimum width for adapters, I believe. Probably a good reason for it!
I think 3/4” is the minimum for aluminum adapters. The only adapter style spacers I’ve used are 25 mm H&R spacers that bolt to the car and allow you to use the bolts intended for the wheels. There’s an extra set of five bolts per wheel, but you never really take the adapters off. In fact I’ve spoken to people that ended up unable to remove their adapters I’d think some heat would have solved their problems though.

What’s the center bore of the wheels you are considering? Larger than 66.56 Mercedes bore?

·
Registered
1981 380SL
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep, larger. 72.5. I didn't think that I would have to get these adapters made "to order", as 5x112 66.6 (mercedes) to 5x120 72.5 (BMW) didn't seem like much of a stretch. I wasn't able to find anything re: "adaptec" from my searches.

·
Outstanding Contributor
23,012 Posts
yep, larger. 72.5. I didn't think that I would have to get these adapters made "to order", as 5x112 66.6 (mercedes) to 5x120 72.5 (BMW) didn't seem like much of a stretch. I wasn't able to find anything re: "adaptec" from my searches.
Maybe I was thinking of some computer company. Sorry. I had some custom spacers made by a company in Nevada I believe. It may have been ezaccessory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1981 380SL
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is very much an "experiment" for me, as I really do love my bundts, but the huge sidewalls aren't doing it for me and I'm sure they contribute to the vagueness of the steering. MAcarbon makes a stunning 16x7 bundt replica.. for nearly $3000.

Anyway, I have found plenty of adapters like these for cheap:

5x112 to 5x120 adapters 66.6mm

So, the bolt pattern and offset problem would be solved... but how the hell would you get them hub centric? are there adapters that you could use with the spacer? Do people actually run wheels "lug centric"?

·
Outstanding Contributor
23,012 Posts
Bad description in these:

Contact these guys

·
Outstanding Contributor
23,012 Posts
This guy made custom spacers for me:

·
Registered
1981 380SL
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did one last measurement/test fit before placing my order, and to my enormous surprise, the wheels.. fit? Albeit, the wheel was on the hub lug-centric, but the holes in the hub aligned absolutely perfectly with the holes in the new BBS wheel.

Something I noticed, the lug bolt holes in the BBS wheels are much larger than that of the stock wheel, which is why my 5-lug measurement was way off. So, they are very close to 112. Maybe 114? It’s hard to say. When I actually mounted the wheel to the hub I was shocked to see these holes line up.

so, aluminum spacers (not adapters!) and rings ordered.. for not much more than $100!

·
Registered
95 SL600
175 Posts
Hub centric adapters is the only way I would do this. This has saved me more than once if you would like to know. Lug centric is asking for problems , I have tried, and it doesn’t work well for me.

·
Registered
1985 380sl
90 Posts
Have to agree on wheel spacers. I tried that route a couple of years ago and without hub centric adapters the car would shake. Pulled them off and put a regular set of wheels on and everything was fine. That said I have a couple sets on my shelf.

·
Outstanding Contributor
23,012 Posts
I did one last measurement/test fit before placing my order, and to my enormous surprise, the wheels.. fit? Albeit, the wheel was on the hub lug-centric, but the holes in the hub aligned absolutely perfectly with the holes in the new BBS wheel.

Something I noticed, the lug bolt holes in the BBS wheels are much larger than that of the stock wheel, which is why my 5-lug measurement was way off. So, they are very close to 112. Maybe 114? It’s hard to say. When I actually mounted the wheel to the hub I was shocked to see these holes line up.

so, aluminum spacers (not adapters!) and rings ordered.. for not much more than $100!
What kind of BBS wheels are these? Can you provide the model number so we can help you? I’m concerned you are wasting your time and money buying things that aren’t exactly what you are going to need to make this setup work for you, just tossing money out the window. Not my problem, but we have been trying to help you here. I’d hate to see all our efforts go to waste.

·
Registered
1981 380SL
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No idea what kind of wheels these are. I believe they are “Moda” “by” BBS. These came in a billion different bolt patterns and offsets, so it’s really hard to know, as there are no identifying numbers stamped inside the wheel besides CB, offset and wheel size.

Free shipping AND returns on these spacers, btw, so no loss. I believe they will work, though. CB of 66.6 with a matching 66.6 OD, and rings to fill the gap. Only hiccup I could foresee is the spacer not clearing the hub, as the inside of the spacer tapers inward to match the original bore size.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts