Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might sound like a stupid post but whats everyones opinion on 126 sounds systems and which yr has the best sounding one? Mostlikely im guessing the 91's.

All I have left from stock in my car is the front dash speakers and still sound decent for the age and size.

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
as far as i can tell the 89-91 sounded the same. equipment seems the same as well.

·
Registered
97 Ford Scorpio Cosworth
702 Posts
as long as your car is 86 and up, that means 2nd series you got the bigger speakers in the back.

the 89 to 91 have some speakers in the doors for addition.

·
Registered
W140 '93 500 SEL
1,005 Posts
The 91 one still sounds rather lousy compared to the w140 but in singapore and a few other countries the 91 version seem fine but they do lack bass but give very good detail. The second gen w126 were fitted with a costly nakamichi audio system an rd 701 and cdc 101 of which you could order the digital to audio convertor(external) for an extra $2000 sgd. The full naka system in a w126 was a $10000 plus option here so they were better than w140 but they needed the door cards with speakers. My car was the earlier batch without the speakers on front door card. It had the original naka head unit yes till today it is still working.

The older generation of w126 were fitted with the rather not so good blaupunkt system which a w140 would beat it flat.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The nakamichi system was stock? I dont think it was Nakamichi here in North American though or are u just referring to the speakers but the head units were the same?

·
Registered
573 Posts
i think for its time, the system as a whole was nothing to complain about.

but i am now thinking of installing sony xplode speakers all round........i already changed the head unit to a blaupunkt cd changer unt......so i think the speakers are left behind now.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
I think the sound system in my 91 is very good. I know a more modern installation would sound better – technology moving ahead and all that – but considering other issues needing to be addressed it’s low on my list of priorities. Although a changer would be nice…

My 85 is another matter. I installed a modern CD unit but the speakers are stock and do leave something to be desired. As with the 91 I have more pressing issues with this car as well. A speaker upgrade will be done along with other interior repairs.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
whats wrong with ur 91 jdc?

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Benzonline - 4/17/2005 12:43 PM

whats wrong with ur 91 jdc?
Nothing at all, I think it sounds great, especially after driving in the 85 and 123! I’m just assuming that after 14 years speaker technology, for example, has improved resulting in better frequency response and performance in various temperature extremes. My 123 had a sound upgrade by the p/o, new speakers and I installed a new CD player – it sounds good, but the 91 sound the best and it has the stock system.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
It's really not an issue for me since I have children's CD in the system 80% of the time. As long as the fader control on the center console is working, I am A-OK (though a changer would be really nice).

I second JDC's view on putting it in historical context. W126 audio is like Fisher-Price Boombox compared to most of the factory installed stuff today, but going back 14+ years, I would imagine it was impressive.

·
Registered
w126 420 sel
622 Posts
thats weird, my 420sel is supposedly a 1986, but i still have the flat speakers in the rear as opposed to the elevated slanted rear speakers, so is the car a 1985 model. all mechanics recogniz it a 1986. whatever, 1 year difference, no big deal.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I have always thought the 126 sound was just awful. I only listen to rock, pretty loud. Couldn't take it any more a few weeks ago.

Even though its way down of my to do list. Put in the new Nakamichi in dash changer with some of the 1st Zapco amps ever made, over 25 years ago, from my 79" T/A!! All military spec, seperate power supplies, class a-b. Most stuff made today can't come close. Not a final system by any means, but much more pleasing.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
blue420sel - 4/18/2005 10:52 PM

...so is the car a 1985 model. all mechanics recogniz it a 1986. whatever, 1 year difference, no big deal.
I don’t think so, the 420s were second gen cars for the US market in 1986 – there were 6102 built in 1985 but I think that was the start of the 1986 m/y production run. It’s possible the very early 420s used the older sound set up, but yours should be an 86. Check the body tag for the build year and model code, for you it’s 126.035, an 86 to 91 420 SEL.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts