Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have always been curious about this. Lets use our w140s as an example. So we all know the 99 was the last year of the w140. Do you think manufacturers care equally about the last production year of their product, or do you think they are more focused on the new style (the w220), meaning is a 99 s500 as good as quality as a 98 s500? I am sure they have been working on the w220 bodystyle for several years before production (maybe as far back as 96) so in your own humble opinions would the 98 w140 be the absolute best production year or do you think it mattered? I read somewhere on this forum that the 99s are just leftover 98s hence the rarity of them.

So of any of the car manufacturers, is the last year of that production the best year or is it a few years back when they are only focused on that bodystyle?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Mine has had a few wierd electric quirks, but what European car doesn't? Other than that, I think mine's pretty solid.

I typically like to buy the last year of a model cycle because you know they were probably the most reliable ones made of that style....they had the most amount of time to work out the bugs, and most manufacturers will do some sort of a "final edition" or "commemorative edition" package if the model has been around for a while. For example, the Grand Edition S500s, or the 2002 Collector Series Eldorado Touring Coupes, or the 2000 Tahoe Z71 (2000 was the ONLY year they offered the Z71 package on the old style Tahoe, and it was the only way you could get the old style body for the 2000 model year), etc etc.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Mine has had a few wierd electric quirks, but what European car doesn't? Other than that, I think mine's pretty solid.

I typically like to buy the last year of a model cycle because you know they were probably the most reliable ones made of that style....they had the most amount of time to work out the bugs, and most manufacturers will do some sort of a "final edition" or "commemorative edition" package if the model has been around for a while. For example, the Grand Edition S500s, or the 2002 Collector Series Eldorado Touring Coupes, or the 2000 Tahoe Z71 (2000 was the ONLY year they offered the Z71 package on the old style Tahoe, and it was the only way you could get the old style body for the 2000 model year), etc etc.
+1 I like all the special editions you get in the last year.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
last year is definately the best in my opinion, but you always want to buy early enough that yours isnt outdated in 2 years, and late enough that they worked enough of the bugs out. unfortunately makers have become soo impatient and life cycle runs as well as facelift timing have been decreased in recent years. no doubt the cur gen sl will NOT last 12 years. w140 lasted 8 years, w220 lasted 7 years, well have to wait to see what the 221 run is like. anyway, to answer your question, no - if anything, the realtive 'quality' should go up until the end - so long as there are no cost cutting measures - which is not something they do just becuase they have a new model coming out.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
i love my Grand Edition... even though i may sell it, it is probably the best W140 you can buy! I agree with the posts above me, the last model year of any car is the best one you can usually get. Take for example the 2002 Range Rover, by far the best of the P38s. Same goes for the 2007 W220 and the 1999 W140. I love my 500SEL to death even though i've spent a fortune and a half to keep her in tip-top shape.... I've spent next to no money on my grand edition!

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Mercedes celebrated the last w140 production year by making Grand Edition S500's.

Err, so why did they not choose to make a Grand Edition S600 instead? or is the S600 already grand as it is :p
Pretty much, there is not much you can do to the S600 before it starts to get into the same league as Bentley and the like. The GE and other editions that are out there in different markets are pretty much S600's with a smaller engine but they are cool because they were the last hurrah so to speak.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I would hope that the last yesr of a model series is the best. I tend to buy the last of series, i.e., my 1985 W123 coupe, 1972 W100 (last for U.S. market), 911 Turbo (last of the aircooled turbo Porsches), 1980 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham Coupe (last of the big V8 carb engines), 1988 Jaguar V12 Vanden Plas (last of the Series III in the U.S. albeit in Inline 6 form).

I prefer the last year of a model series--sometimes you may even get some tech improvements from the next line of cars.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
The old "last year is the best" theory was severly compromised on the 140 body by brutal cost cutting in the 90s and the introduction in 1996 of a relatively short-lived and costly to rebuild transmission.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts