Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ML63 came with a black/chrome grille with a clear plastic cover over the emblem. I'm installing a silver/chrome grille (pic below), because that's what the wife likes. I understand the AMG models only had sport trim in black. Now I'm thinking more of the trim should match the silver/chrome grille. Am I headed down the wrong path?

Also the grille I bought has chrome ribs on the silver bars. Is this specific to a model or trim package or just aftermarket?

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Isn't that "clear plastic cover over the emblem" actually the distronic sensor? Won't that make installation of the pictured grille a bit tricky without cutting?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! I did search cars.com for different years, but the pics didn't show vertical chrome ribs. Nice '63, MLTime! Ever consider replacing all the black trim with silver/chrome?

As far as a distronic sensor, I don't recall wires going to the grille, I'll take another look when it comes back from the shop next week (new crank sensor, new shocks, new passenger side window trim). The plastic/emblem is cracked and aged, hopefully it's not a sensor.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Isn't that "clear plastic cover over the emblem" actually the distronic sensor? Won't that make installation of the pictured grille a bit tricky without cutting?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
The clear flat cover is actually a cover. The Distronic sensor itself should be mounted sitting behind the grille. Only thing I'd be worried about with this new grille is interference with the Distronic sensor and possible damage to it now that there isn't a cover in front of it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The clear flat cover is actually a cover. The Distronic sensor itself should be mounted sitting behind the grille. Only thing I'd be worried about with this new grille is interference with the Distronic sensor and possible damage to it now that there isn't a cover in front of it.
New grille fit, the Distronic sensor touched didn't interfere with the new grille. The emblem is a metal chromed piece with tabs that lock in place when the emblem is twisted.

Tried it and the grille (emblem) interfered with the Distronic sensor, it caused Distronic to be disabled. I put the old grille back on and the new one is on a shelf.

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
My ML63 came with a black/chrome grille with a clear plastic cover over the emblem. I'm installing a silver/chrome grille (pic below), because that's what the wife likes. I understand the AMG models only had sport trim in black. Now I'm thinking more of the trim should match the silver/chrome grille. Am I headed down the wrong path?

Also the grille I bought has chrome ribs on the silver bars. Is this specific to a model or trim package or just aftermarket?

Wow. Guess you didn't want to paint the original grille huh? I painted mine high metallic, very dark grey. it looks better than silver or black.

If I were you, I wouldn't mention this to your wife. :eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks guys! I did search cars.com for different years, but the pics didn't show vertical chrome ribs. Nice '63, MLTime! Ever consider replacing all the black trim with silver/chrome?

As far as a distronic sensor, I don't recall wires going to the grille, I'll take another look when it comes back from the shop next week (new crank sensor, new shocks, new passenger side window trim). The plastic/emblem is cracked and aged, hopefully it's not a sensor.
Do you still have your old grill? If it is undamaged, I would be interested in buying it.
[email protected]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts