Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
03 ML320
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I am looking at used E320, but something tells me it might be good to look at 525 or 530 from the same year(s).

I really like the E320. I don't consider it sporting, but a very nice solid car. I also see it being a very nice solid car 10 years and 200k miles from now too.

How do you think the BMW will compare now and over the years? My first thought is the 2.5L I6 is a little small especially compared to the 3.2 V6 in the E.

I also think the E320 is classier on the outside and inside. BTW.. I am not looking for "sport car turned sedan" I have a sports car now 944 Turbo and will be keeping that. Of course that car warps my sense of what balance and poise is in the twisties. I drove a New C230 compressor sport sedan found while it cornered flat it was stiff and not all that well balacned (too much understeer). At least not enough to make me want it over the E320 for daily use. Sure the E is no "sports car", but with it I don't need it to be.

Thoughts on how the 525 or 530 compares?

·
Registered
98 e320
85 Posts
I've owned several 5-series over the years, and just recently switched to MB e320. The handling is not the same as a 5-series. If you're OK with that, the MB is a great car. It ended up feeling much more BMW-like after I installed 17" Borbet wheels, Eibach springs and Koni adjustable shocks. The .2L extra displacement is noticeable, especially with a K&N filter and free flow exhaust. Having said that, the 530i has plenty of power, and you don't have to install Eibachs, etc., because it rides on rails to begin with. Year and mileage wise, a 5-series tends to sell slightly lower than a comparable e class. In the end it's subjective of course, but that's my 2 cents. Here's a link to what I did with my '98. I'm very pleased with it now.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1202534&posts=8&fid=17

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
early W210 E320's are inline 6's,... those cars were real good performers. The later models (post 1997) were V6.

Either way, if you fit 18's all round, lower the car and fit a sports exhaust you'll forget BMW's altogether.

My E280 was a basic elegance when I got it, but if you go to my gallery you'll see what can be done over time (and I've only just started).

Just make sure you get the highest spec 320 your money can buy,... and look for rust under the headlight and under the doors (behind the rubber).

Good luck in making a choice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts