Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I am thinking about adding a subwoofer to the stereo of my W124 E220.. It is equipped with a Pioneer headunit, which then outputs to 4 midrange speakers and 2 tweeters.
I am thinking about investing in an Audic Subwoofer (preamped). What are you guys' opinions about preamped subwoofers? Would they provide enough umph?

I am not really into the quality of the stereo, I just want more umph as there's very little bass to it at the moment and I listen to rock and hip hop most of the time...

p.s. Does anyone know if the stock headunit that came with my car (Year 1994) can be connected to an amplifier? It is a pioneer with 12CD box, remote, and cassette..

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
how big is the sub? and how much power is being pushed to it?

dont know about the pioneer.

·
Registered
94 E420
132 Posts
I can’t help you with the head unit question, I do know that the installers I have worked with don’t like working on MB’s because everything is unique and different to them vs. other cars.

First let me qualify my response on the subs by saying I am not one of those guys who wants to shake the earth with their car stereo, I like nice clean bass.

For the powered sub, I have owned a couple (not in an MB) with okay results. They do provide some punch to the low end but do not provide nearly as much bass as a properly matched amp and sub set up. I would be leery of installing a powered sub in the trunk of a W124 as the trunks are built like bomb shelters. Unless you cut vents into the rear deck I don’t think you are going to get much bass into the passenger compartment.

I have been shopping for stereo upgrades for my W124. Everybody who I have talked with who seems somewhat familiar with MB’s has suggested a fairly large sub (10�-12�), serious power to push it and/or venting the rear deck. I saw a W124 with a sub mounted in place of the first aid kit in the rear deck -- pretty slick install.

Colorado

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
Are you refering to a open-air sub? if so i've seen one, but they were 2 8" JLw7's mounted where the rear speakers went. Sounded pretty good.

My old C220 had the seal on it too. Back seats has a sheet of metal that seperated the back seats from the trunk. But i had a 12"JLw3 in there powered by a PG. It sounded great.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I think that only JL Audio woofers should be fitted as they are the best in their price range. However in your case I would suggest you decide how mych you intend on spending, and if you would prefer internal or external amplification.

As a general rule external amps are better since you can chose your own power range. I have been through plenty of subs and amps in my "rice" days and would suggest that if you are going to fit an "internally" amped woofer you should look into the SAS Bazooka line.

If price (on an extrernally amped woofer) is an issue try looking into the JL Audio W0 lineup, if not then I'd suggest W7's and nothing else.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Good luck on your choice.

·
Registered
2000 E 320
16 Posts
I've recently had subwoofers installed in my w210. The main problem my installer had was getting adequate air volume through the sealed rear compartment (trunk). Through his expertice (spl) he suggested venting through the rear deck. At first I wasn't too thrilled about the idea of cutting up my brand new Benz (well brand new to me). But trusting him as a professional I let him do it. I was thrilled when I got it back. The sound was absolutely great... both sound quality and and if needed the ground shaking lows.... I have a tan interior with black floor mats. The vent in the tan rear deck was covered with a black speaker grill cloth. Everything is came together like it was meant to be. If you have any questions regarding this please feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
300E
100 Posts
I was thinking about adding a sub too.

I've decided to just hold off until I got enough money to drop a pair of MB Quart components (I love things Made in Germany) in the back and amp 'em. I was thinking of replacing the first aid kit with an 8" open-air sub..but instead, I might cut holes behind the rear headrests and put some 6x9 MB Quarts or Blaupunkts there.

·
Registered
2000 E 320
16 Posts
I've used all rainbow speakers, which too are made in Germany. They are distributed in the US by Arc Audio. My installer told me that the speakers "fell" in to place, as if they belonged... no extra brackets or screw holes.

On a different note... Cowtown, I would recomend maybe saving up a bit of money and go for the 8" sub as opposed to cutting holes for 6X9's. I've always liked the tighter mid bass from a 6 1/2 as opposed to a 6x9. I also think the 8" would provide a better overall low end.Just an opinion. Good luck on your final choice

·
Registered
1997 C280
39 Posts
I recently added two infintiy kappa 12" subs and a 1200 watt Sony Xplod amp to my factory head unit to my 1997 w202 (c280). i had it all installed at Fry's electronics it cost alot but was done right. only trouble is now i broke the bass controll button and need to figue out how to fix it. if anyone knows how to fix it please tell me.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,066 Posts
jonbeattie - 4/15/2005 5:43 PM

sorry whats a MB quartz??
Do a Google search, for Pete's sake. And it's MB Quart.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts