Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating b/w JL and MBQ for amps..any thoughts this way or that?

Jonathan

·
Registered
1999 E320 Wagon
367 Posts
Do you want an amp that sounds good and/or looks good. A lot of amps that I have looked at were tooooo flashy. And all that flash adds cost. If what you hear is more important that what you see then you might want ot look at USAcoustics. I haven't seen anyone berate them; other than they can, at time, be hard to find. I have a USX4065 (4ch 65W rms/ch) and love it. Unlike most other amps they rate their output power with an input voltage of 12.9 where most everybody uses 14.4V. Can't cet 14.4 to the amp? Then you won't get full output power.

Disclaimer: I am not in any way affiliated with USAcoustics. Just think they have good products.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, I'll take a look.. What are you running in the rest of your set up?

Jonathan

·
Registered
1999 E320 Wagon
367 Posts
All audio plans are on hold until my car is fixed. I had a collision on 11/15/04 and got it back 2/1/05, returned on 2/7/05 and will be returning again on 2/14/05. They are also on hold for the new 2005 Alpine headunits. (I found some specs on their web site[:D]). I was planing on a CDA9835 until I played with a demo and was VERY disappointed. I also didn't like the size of the text on the 9833[V]. I currently have a 9815 in another vehicle and consider it to be the reigning king of head units. It is connected to a USX 4065 amp driving a pair of 6x9 and a 10 inch sub.

My initial plans were to use an aforementioned (did I just make up a word?) unit with a US Acoustics USC 4085 powering my Boston Acoustics Pro Series (door mounted via autoleads adapters) speakers and a USC 2100 for a 10 inch JL sub in my own custom box. The head unit was to be mounted in the storage compartment below the current head unit for a factory look. The output of the Factory headunit would have been run into the AI-Net input of the iPod adapter so I could still use the weather band. I was also thinking of upgrading my steering wheel to one thahat had buttons Even If I burried the head unit remote into it and ran it off a battery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts