Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting ready to put in the Euro healights, but im stumped... should i put the wipers back in with the euros or not!?

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
If it's a daily driver, or close to it, in Maine, then put them back on. You'll need them. They do provide a specific purpose for a specific need, spelled M*A*I*N*E. :)

I took mine off, but my goal is to never drive the SEC in rain, much less snow/slush/freezing $%^&*.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its not my daily driver, i got an 89 wagon for that, it hardly sees the rain, and never sees snow or anything like that, its pretty much a show car at this point due to gas prices... its easier on the wallet while in school to fill the wagon haha, but any ways, im just going for good looks and i think its sleeker and cleaner without them.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I removed the headlight wipers from the 300SDL and I removed the passenger side windshield wiper which has sped up the remaining and most functioal of the two wipers. It makes a big difference in cleaning the windshield with only one.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I am facing that same deal, I have euro wipers off the 500 and I don't know if I want them on the 380 just for looks.. One is kinda bent but maybe repairable..

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
They are a Lot sleeker on the SL. And I know you would want to keep it original!

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,258 Posts
I agree with blasphemous Mike. In our Southern climate minus the wiper.
It's also a cleaner look IMO.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
They are less noticable on an SL, and seeing as your not going to be driving in the snow, leave them off. They clutter up the clean look.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Headlight wipers are cool
People are always like, "Oh wow look, it's got wipers on the headlights, sweeeet"

It's right up there with, "Oh wow look, the windsheild wipers are hidden, sweeeet" and "Oh wow look, the backseat reclines, sweeeet"

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts
Are the headlamp wipers the Euro or US models?

If they're US on Euro headlamps, I'd leave them off if you don't use the car much in the rain.

I like the look of the Euro headlamps with the Euro wipers. :)

....but I don't claim to be unbiased. :eek:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the pics Axel, I think i may put them on... and if i decide later i want them off i can do it, but for now, i think it would look better on then having a hole and a washer nipple poking out the front... so ill get pics up once i get the lights on, im waiting on my gaskets so i can put the new lenses on and the clips for my pass. side. but hopefully soon!

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
I have the same conundrum, my car has the Euro lights, with the American style wipers, as in the last pic ture in post #13 (Axel's) and my inclination would be to have the smooth wiper-less look; I can't see the $700 spent for the euro wiper/motor/valance set up as really worth it.

I am in a different situation, it does snow here sometimes, but I seldom take the car in it, as I have a 1995 Subaru Outback I can use in situations like that.

So it's a close call. I talked recently at length with Blasphemous Mike (who installed my Euro lights, and euro corners, thanks, Mike!!!) and he advised me to go for the smooth look, the US headlight valances can be re used if filler is braised into them where the US headlight wipers hole used to be.

As to the complaint that people might think the absence of headlight wipers might indicate a low spec car, that is more of a euro complaint, and I am sure that 99.5% of people in the USA would NEVER notice it, or know the difference between euro spec and US spec headlight wipers ...... lol .... - only W126 fanatics would know the difference....

·
Slightly creased
16,582 Posts
In my opinion, have the Euro wipers on Euro lights or forget about it...

The US wipers look like crap no matter which way you dice it.

I have no need for headlight wipers where I live, but they do look cool and get the comments Nomada talked about above. But I have them and they will stay.

If I had US wipers, I would lose them in a heartbeat.

Just as the car was not designed with fat bumpers, yellow indicators and sealed beam lights, it was not designed with right angle wipers which move in the wrong direction.

If they serve a purpose for you - that changes your perspective but I would still say get Euro wipers on Euro lights.

Just my $1.78...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks guys, haha i think ill put them onand if idecide i wanna get the euro wiers ill change them or if i wanna take them off ill take them off, i guess i will see how it goes over at the first show this summer, ill have ppl do a pole when they check out the car!

·
Registered
357 Posts
I removed the wipers when I switched to Euro headlights. I bought a pair of valance without the wiper wholes on eBay for $25. Not much use for wipers in NJ.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts