Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML 320
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently ive been noticing alot of the ML'ers out there are going off-roading...actually using this beautiful SUVs capabilities in low range.

now i havent used my 1999 ML320's ever....and due to recent findings...ive read that i should exercise the low range? thing is....ive also read that since it hasnt been used...engaging it as such could cause the car to not work? i.e. the car would get stuck in transition from low range and regular driving..

so...the last findings kinda make me nervous upon testing it. my baby runs fine now...but if i test it at my apt....and it locks up...it would sort of be an un-needed expense...:-/

one more question...ive read on how to engage low range:

1. Put car into 'N'
2. Apply brake.
3. Hold low range until light becomes solid

but my question is...how do you disengage it? i personally have never used this option...so i apologize for the many questions...but after engaging low range...you just drive normally?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
I engage mine every couple of months when I think of it. Have never actually used this.

·
Registered
1999 ML 320
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im just worried that something bad may or may not happen because its never been used...not sure if i should just leave it alone...or should i test it and risk it locking up?

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,498 Posts
I doubt it's going to lock up. The gearing in there is still lubricated so I can't see why

you should have a problem. As for disengaging, I don't know about pre MY02 but I believe all you need to do is stop, put in N and press the button. I used mine in the winter a few times.

·
Registered
1999 ML 320
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
blackhawk

hehe your thread was one of the ones i read...that made me iffy...since some of the people that did reply said they had issues with other parts [the guy with the story at DV] i want to exercise it for sure...but am just not sure if there are any consequences?

the members on this board are very knowledgeable...and well thats why im asking you all. definately would like to hear from more people if possible?

thanks again guys!

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
The worst thing that could happen is that you will not be able to get INTO Low Range because of a faulty motor that engages Low Range.

There is absolutely no reason to not try it out.

I would try this for an interesting demo:

Find a place with a steep hill...as steep as you can find....doesn't have to be off-road. Just steep. Stop at the top of the hill, engage Low (put car in N and hit the button....wait until it stops flashing and stays lit...you don't have to hold it down, just push it and wait) and put the transmission in 1.

Let your ML coast down the hill.

You will get a sense for just how sLow you can go.

Next, try driving in D or 4 or 3 on a 45mph road. See how high it is reving compared to regularly?

Low is great for SLOW driving, under control...up or down steep hills...pulling a heavy load...certain situations where the ETS behaves better offroad.

If you are adventurous, try the Blackhawk method.

Find a construction site with a little hill of dirt to climb up.

(He likes gravel piles in movie theater parking lots.)

[:D][:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
Black 2005 ML 500
1,662 Posts
In number 3: You only press and release the low range button.. You "do not" continue pressing on it until it gets activated.

Once the low range light finish blinking, your are ready.. To disengage do the same, press the low range button and wait until it disengages..

I was using my low range last week.. With my brother, we were driving through some deep cleared muddy land.

A couple of miles or so inside the land, we saw somebody flagging us. It was a truck that was stranded in the mud. It was only a 2 wheel drive truck in the middle of nowhere.

Luckily I had a towing strap and was able to help the poor guy and his girlfriend out of the mess. It felt somewhat dangerous to help this guy, he did not looked very trust worthy and looked like he could pull out a gun anytime.. In the middle of nowhere, nobody will be able to hear any shots.. Luckily and taking some precautions, we pull him out and drove away..

AC

·
Registered
1999 ML 320
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
heh all interesting stories...i guess that ill give it a shot....it'll have to wait a while longer...cant afford not to have the car in 2 weeks...but i definately thank you all for the 411 :) just some of the stories i read kinda set a hesitant vibe my way....[B)]

·
Registered
'05 ML350SE
1,395 Posts
Just to be safe, why don't you drive to the dealer and activate low range in his lot?

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
586 Posts
Benz4Dirt&Sky - 4/4/2005 8:36 PM
If you are adventurous, try the Blackhawk method.

Find a construction site with a little hill of dirt to climb up.

(He likes gravel piles in movie theater parking lots.)

[:D][:D][:D][:D]
woohoo, those are fun :)

going back to what mickey.1430 said, I also thought about next time I went in for service ask them to make sure low range works, but I couldn't take the wait and just did it myself, I do it about once a week now and just drive up my driveway semi steep pic below

edit decided not to post the pic, dont need anymore rich flames [:(!]

·
Registered
1999 ML 320
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hahah id welcome 'rich' flames...but unfortunately.........those don't come my way [:D] enjoy em~! hahahah i kno that i would.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts