Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1991 300 SL R129, 1986 190E 2.3 16V, 2002 Rialta Motorhome, 2003 Mazda Protege 5, 08 Chevy panel HHR
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a 1991 R129 300 SL and have owned it for some 4 years now. It has always run maybe an eighth of an inch over the 80 mark on my temp gauge. Yesterday after detailing my engine I went for a drive. Now she seems to run a quarter inch and a little more over that mark. Does anyone know what the normal temperature range I should be at? What is too high? Obviously the red mark, but does anyone know what is the safe areas on the gauge? I was thinking I may have disconnected something while cleaning. I always thought 80c was a good temp. is nearing 90c to 95 to high? Thanks in advance for any help or input.

Larry,
1986 190E 2.3 16v
1991 300 SL

·
Registered
1991 300 SL R129, 1986 190E 2.3 16V, 2002 Rialta Motorhome, 2003 Mazda Protege 5, 08 Chevy panel HHR
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Nenad16,

YEa it has always been right there and all of a sudden it jumped up a little bit? Larry

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
When detailing the engine, did you spray the cleaner solution into the fan(s)?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes I did spray a lanolin based cleaner and protector on them. It's called fluid film. Maybe that could have caused my prob? Thanks for the input mbvis.

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
I believe that it's a clutch fan like most cooling fans. Some cleaning solution might have gotten in there. Over the time, I think friction will burn it off and the problem will go away. For now, run the engine from cold, at idle in Park, observe the fan. Drive to shopping mall as you normally do, car is now hot, at idle in Park, observe the fan and hire someone to rev up the engine, observe the fan. If you see no spinning, that's easy, it's the no go fan causing higher operating temperature. In some other post with fan clutch problem, some people said that they could test/stop the fan with their bare hand. DON'T try it if you're not sure how to do it and you still love your hand or fingers.
I'm not sure if there's a temperature sensor/relay on your car model to activate the clutch fan. One way to find out is to go to autohausaz.com, search for all available parts in cooling system then guess how your car's cooling system was made.
But keep in mind, the fan may not be the cause. Good luck.

·
Registered
Mercedes 300SL-24 R129
59 Posts
Hello All.

I thought I'd resurect this thread rather than starting a new one as I seem to be suffereing the same issues ForeverYoung had here.

My temp gauge needle has been sitting in the middle of the gauge for the short time ive owned the car. Ive just driven the car back from the garage where it had a general service and gearbox service. And the temp needle started rising very high (see attached). The antifreeze has been replaced so theres plenty of fluid in there. Does anyone have any suggestions why this might be happening? the garage has shut for the weekend so i cant call them until monday..

Cheers
PM

Attachments

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,682 Posts
could it be the shop replaced the thermostat?
Thermostat is the only thing that controls engine temperature on well performing system.
100C is hot engine for normal driving, but observe if it stays at 100, or fluctuate?

·
Registered
Mercedes 300SL-24 R129
59 Posts
could it be the shop replaced the thermostat?
Thermostat is the only thing that controls engine temperature on well performing system.
100C is hot engine for normal driving, but observe if it stays at 100, or fluctuate?
Thanks for your reply Kajtek1. Theres no mention of a thermostat on the invoice. I took the car out yesterday, and the temp needle didnt go above half way for the 2 hours i was driving it.. I'll continue to keep an eye on it, i dont know if it was a temporary blip maybe...

cheers
PM

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,117 Posts
It may have had some trapped air that escaped. Just a little bit can cause the thermostat to rise. Then after a little time passes the air escapes and things return to normal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts