Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone direct me to a good source for information as far as what my capabilities / limitations are with running Xentry on the Openport 2.0 interface. I'm new to MB's and would like to learn as much as possible about this topic.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
558 Posts
I do not own an OpenPort interface, so if I am incorrect anyone that does please chime in. To the best of my knowledge, the OpenPort 2.0 interface will allow Xentry to communicate with your car using the J2534 standard. This will generally communicate with vehicles 2003 and newer that use OBD2 for diagnosis. Any vehicle using a 38-pin connector or HHTWIN for diagnosis will not work. You ideally use Xentry Pass-thru with these devices, and a subscription is available from Daimler, however it is limited to programming and reading faults from the engine ECU and transmission TCU up to 2017. 2018 and newer vehicles are given full diagnostic capabilities.

The Xentry Pass-Thru software subscription capabilities differ depending on your country. The above description applies to US customers. EU customers have time credits and from my understanding full diagnostic/SCN coding capabilities - not only 2018 and newer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not own an OpenPort interface, so if I am incorrect anyone that does please chime in. To the best of my knowledge, the OpenPort 2.0 interface will allow Xentry to communicate with your car using the J2534 standard. This will generally communicate with vehicles 2003 and newer that use OBD2 for diagnosis. Any vehicle using a 38-pin connector or HHTWIN for diagnosis will not work. You ideally use Xentry Pass-thru with these devices, and a subscription is available from Daimler, however it is limited to programming and reading faults from the engine ECU and transmission TCU up to 2017. 2018 and newer vehicles are given full diagnostic capabilities.

The Xentry Pass-Thru software subscription capabilities differ depending on your country. The above description applies to US customers. EU customers have time credits and from my understanding full diagnostic/SCN coding capabilities - not only 2018 and newer.

Thanks TiffanyTwisted I've been using the 2.0 and so far i have been able to communicate with the modules I need to, but sometimes I'll get error codes or the vehicle/computer doesn't recognize the interface but after another attempt or 2 it will work. I will continue to tinker with it and see what other information I can dig up.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
558 Posts
Thanks TiffanyTwisted I've been using the 2.0 and so far i have been able to communicate with the modules I need to, but sometimes I'll get error codes or the vehicle/computer doesn't recognize the interface but after another attempt or 2 it will work. I will continue to tinker with it and see what other information I can dig up.
That is good information to know. Any experience you have I am sure will be a great asset to the community.

It allegedly works with many protocols in addition to software that is not legally obtainable by the general public but has made its rounds on the Internet. While I will condone the use of these products due to their copyright nature belonging to Daimler AG intended to be used internally for the development if ECUs inside the development and manufacturing process and not even for dealers, much less the general public (not to mention they can easily allow one to cause a control module from not operating properly requiring replacement of z control module or a visit to the dealer to re-program and apply SCN coding, if applicable to the control module AND would likely have a steep learning curve it you do not know German or the interworkings of ECUs) they should work with Xentry OpenShell and Xentry Pass-Thru (although they are designed for Xentry Pass-Thru, OpenShell must be configured to use PART J as the diagnostic VCI). I am not aware of OpenShell being licensed in the US, so Xentry Pass-Thru is the SKU need to purchase a subscription for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts