Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2x 1986 190E 2.3 16V Cosworth, 1975 450SE, 1995 E320 Convertible
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,
I just want to share something that I had to do today. Some of you guys may know but I still want to share. I bought a 2000 w220 for parts. The vehicle never been in an accident or any damage but dashboard (behind the steering wheel) had a fire. Car came with no keys at all. I just wanted to open the trunk and did not want to damage the trunk lid. Sorry no pictures(forgot to take). I also could not give power from front passenger compartment because all the wires fried inside the dashboard. On the trunk lid where the license plate stays you will see two screws in the middle. First i removed them. If you look closely, you will get the idea that big part where you put your tag is a big plastic molding part mounted on the lid. I removed chrome trim which was unnecessary. I used plastic molding remover tool not to damage the lid. I inserted and popped out that big tag holder but only able to save one clip. Others were broken. After i removed the molding (bracket) you will see 4 star (hex) type screws. Once you remove those screws, push button trunk lock gets free. I push the whole lock assembly inside through the hole while pushing the button. And you hear that good pop noise. Trunk lid is open.
Thank You.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,216 Posts
Saleen351, that is very helpful; thanks for writing it up. Many of us will find it a better approach than drilling through the trunk. This is going into the Encyclopedia!

·
Registered
S430 4Matic 2004(225000Km) ML 320 CDI 2009 Blutec (254000Km)(SOLD) 2007 ML320 CDI (220,000Kms)
244 Posts
Thanks for sharing your info but it is not clear from your write up the steps you took to achieve opening of the trunk. I look at my trunk and did not follow your steps, not I need to open my trunk but was going over this if I ever did need it.Could you be more clear in the steps and precise.

Thanks

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for sharing your info but it is not clear from your write up the steps you took to achieve opening of the trunk. I look at my trunk and did not follow your steps, not I need to open my trunk but was going over this if I ever did need it.Could you be more clear in the steps and precise.

Thanks
I uploaded some photos. You can look at them and have some ideas. Thanks

·
Registered
W220 S350/S500 2004
419 Posts
My facelift trunk has nuts on the inside (although I am not sure whether they were there originally).
But the W220 trunk I opened (in junkyard) with method described above did not have nuts holding (9). I don't know whether the junkyard W220 was facelift or pre-facelift.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found this method because i did not have any other choice to open the trunk. Lid (number 9) came off very easy even it had bolts which i dont remember but it is still better and much more inexpensive solution than damaging the whole trunk lid or the lock itself. Worst case scenario you will end up getting a new lid (number 9).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.