Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I need a little help. I have read through a few threads about people that have dead batteries and they need to use the little key to open the trunk to get at the battery but they havent been able to answer my question. My car is stored in my garage and I went to start it up yesterday and the battery was totally dead. I tried to open the trunk with the little key and I could not figure it out. The question that I have is that when I put the little key in my door lock, it seems to slide all the in. When I put it in the trunk it only goes in a little bit. Can anyone try this on their car?? Go and put the little metal key in the trunk and see if it goes in as far as it does on the door. Also when I am attempting to open the trunk do I push in on the lock while I turn? I dont want to break the key thats why I ask... Anyone able to help a brotha out?

·
Registered
366 Posts
My Key fits all the way in on the trunk lock

WD40 it and work it back and forth. The best would be to charge the battery from under the hood. My lock seems to be electronic and needs power to work.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
When you do get your Emergency key fully in.... I believe you have to turn it counter-clockwise to release the trunk lock.

·
Registered
945 Posts
A good practice might be to use the key blade once a month or once every Service A and Service B with some WD40 to keep the lock from jamming up.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A good practice might be to use the key blade once a month or once every Service A and Service B with some WD40 to keep the lock from jamming up.
That’s a really good idea. I think if I ever get it opened and working I will do that. Until that time I think that I will jump the car if I can find the positive terminal in the front and then hopefully i will be able to pop it normally.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same problem. In fact I would imagine my battery is probably dead again since I haven't driven the car in months. Anyways, push the key in and the lock then rotate counter clockwise. Mine only rotated at a certain point not pushed in all the way so you may have to fiddle with it a little. It's hard to get a grip on it so I used a pliars but be careful not to hulk it up too much.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks man.. I tried everything short of talking the whole lock assembly out and opening it that way. I don't think that the trunk lock has ever been used and it is all gummed up. I read one of the posts in the DIY thread about jump starting from the front. I hooked up my jumper cables to the positive point in the front and I went into the car and opened the trunk the normal way... I just pulled the battery and put it on a charger. *Note to self.. when the car is in storage.. don't close the trunk!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Answer that worked on C230

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

Ran across the same problem on my c230. Had to "prime" the trunk unlocking system by first pressing the release on trunk about 25 -30 times. This built up pressure in the system and allowed me to turn the key and actually get the trunk to pop. Actually had to "prime" the system 2 times before it opened.....

Good luck!!

d

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
One thing if I remember correctly is it turns to the left to open not the right, maybe thats what some people are doing wrong

1 - 9 of 9 Posts