Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an old 560 SEL. Its an 1988 model and has a very puzzling fault. When I open the front passenger door the ignition lights come on. The last owner modified the starter to be operated from a button and when pressed the car comes to life. This is not good! <br>I would welcome any advice.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The previous owner tapped the ignition to the door light switch.<br>This is the small black rubber push switch on the side where the door <br>locks in place which turns on the interior light when you a door is open.<br>In this case, it puts the ignition into on and so when this so called "switch"<br>is pushed, it starts the car.<p>To remove it, take out the rubber push switch and look for the wire which doesn't<br>look like it came with the car or maybe you could cut them and look for the one<br>that shuts the light off inside the car. This is the one you want to keep. Tape<br>up the others.<p>Anton<p>: I bought an old 560 SEL. Its an 1988 model and has a very puzzling fault. When I open the front passenger door the ignition lights come on. The last owner modified the starter to be operated from a button and when pressed the car comes to life. This is not good! <br>I would welcome any advice.<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Anton, I'll take a look. Theres certainly a bit of wire in the fuse box going from one fuse to another! So I'll look at that 1st. If no joy there, then I'll look at the switches. <p>I've bought a fire extinguisher just in case!!!!<p>Thanks again.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Open door turns on ignition. (Success!)

Anton,<p>Disconnected a wire that straddled 2 fuses and the passenger door no longer turns on the ignition. Hooray!!! Flip side is the key no longer turns the ignition on either. So I need to grit my teeth and pay for a new ignition key switch so one can dispense with the starter button and that dodgy wire in the fuse box. <p>Thanks again for your help.<p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts