Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting the top back up, mechanism stalled but then completed it's task of locking, etc. Soft top is up and locked.
Now I see that there is a puddle of hydraulic fluid near the right rear tire.
Looks like a hose or fitting burst...
Guess a tech is the next stop?
Coul it just be a fitting?
Oh I hope.......

·
Registered
98 SL500
516 Posts
Cylinder has gone bad probably, could be a DIY if your inclined. Search the forum for rear cylinder and you should get some info. But if you got the cash just have someone else do it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry to hear about the leak. If it's in front of the rear tire, I would suspect that the seal for the main lift cylinder blew. I can repair your cylinders for $30 each +$10 total shipping. Do a search in the SL forum and you will see feedback from some of the list members about my work. I have those seals in stock and would mail your parts back to you the following business day.

Thanks

Dennis Ficken
16285 S. Chester
Olathe, Ks 66062

(913) 390-0506

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dennis was spot-on and a gentleman to deal with.
I found a tech willing, this one time only, to remove and re-install those 4 main soft top cylinders.
Labor was less than $500 for this part of the job......

Dennis got my cylinders via priority mail and turned around quickly back to me.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mechanic said that he wouldn't install any of my own parts for me again........not fair to his other customers, that if he did it for me, he would have to do it for them.....plus he makes part of his money on the parts, and he also warranties his parts, but not mine.

I also had him remove and replace my hood pad with one I supplied.......he only got a little $ on that part of the job.

I also had him install distributor caps and rotors that I supplied.

He also installed antenna seals that I supplied....

Tightened up my bumper cover and secured the small panel behind the front wheel......

He tied up a bay in his shop for me while the cylinders were out getting overhauled.

He does quite of few of those jobs, but buys new cylinders for each job.
I may get a set of old cylinders from one of his jobs, and send them to Dennis to rebuild so that I have R&R cylinders ready for when others in my system go out.

The whole ticket was less than $750

·
Registered
1991 MB 300SL Convertible
20 Posts
I had this same issue happen to me today (puddle of fluid in front of right rear tire after trying to put soft top up).

If I just want to repair/replace that one cylinder, is it something I can do myself? I am VERY inexperience in this type of repair.

I assume repairing the seals on the cylinder, if possible, is a far less expensive fix than replacing the cylinder(?) If I do have to replace the cylinder, cany anyone tell me which one it is and how much I can expect to pay to have it repaired or replaced?

I'm not sure I want to ship the part to KS, so I'd like other options.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
10,980 Posts
I had this same issue happen to me today (puddle of fluid in front of right rear tire after trying to put soft top up).

If I just want to repair/replace that one cylinder, is it something I can do myself? I am VERY inexperience in this type of repair.

I assume repairing the seals on the cylinder, if possible, is a far less expensive fix than replacing the cylinder(?) If I do have to replace the cylinder, cany anyone tell me which one it is and how much I can expect to pay to have it repaired or replaced?

I'm not sure I want to ship the part to KS, so I'd like other options.

Thank you.
Answers to all of the above questions have been covered and archived with great detail.

Take a look at Please read useful Archived Topics before posting a new thread. and then click on R129 soft top 'Hydraulic System' ultimate thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts