Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren Roadster (2008)

It looks hoooot =)

Too bad it's not a hardtop convertible like our SLK's (or SL's), but it looks really nice with the top down, and that's how I drive my SLK 95% of the time anyway :D

Wish I could win the lottery :(

·
Registered
858 Posts
:confused: I'm not a big fan of the SLR. How do you justify the cost and the OLD technology rag top? I'll keep my humble SLK.:D

·
Registered
2009 SLK 55 AMG
966 Posts
not...It looks hoooot =)
but hotttttttttt=}

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
I agree with -1-. How much more can an SLR do than his SLK 55 for 6 times the price? How often can a person really use that extra acceleration and top speed? I do like the style of the SLR coupe especially in silver.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
Pretty sweet car. I admit that I wouldn't mind having one if money were no object. Unfortunately for me, however, it is. LOL. My only criticisms of the car are the exaggerated gills on the side as well as the rear end (reminds me of the Mazda M5). And, of course, it's too bad that it doesn't have the retractable top. If I owned one, though, I could EASILY overlook those shortcomings.

·
Registered
SLK55,CayenneS,XKR
1,995 Posts
If money was no object I would definetly get one in Designo mocha black/ red interior.

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
hardtop 722 would be my first choice, but the softop is great too!

i think the idea of having a fabric top is you wouldn't drive this car with the top up anyway, you would just drive in a different car. The top is just in case you get caught in a sudden downpour. As for exotics, having a power top is pretty nice already, a lot of the previous gen exotics either didn't have a top, or you had to have 2 people to mount and install the top by hand. The Bentley GTC also has a soft top BTW.

·
Registered
06' SLK350
2,315 Posts
Duo-Art said:
I agree with -1-. How much more can an SLR do than his SLK 55 for 6 times the price? How often can a person really use that extra acceleration and top speed? I do like the style of the SLR coupe especially in silver.
When you get these types of cars, it's about exclusivity and prestige more than performance, most owners of these cars don't go over the speed limit anyways, it's about being seen. If you take off fast no one is going to see you. :D

I like it but some of them looks like the old pictures, is it official? The softtop looks better than most canvas tops I've seen. The SLR looks every exotic in person. But too expensive for my blood,

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
Ynot said:
When you get these types of cars, it's about exclusivity and prestige more than performance, most owners of these cars don't go over the speed limit anyways, it's about being seen. If you take off fast no one is going to see you. :D [/IMG]
I think the other reason they drive under the speed limit is to minimize the possibility of an accident. Hate to think what a repair might cost on some of those cars. Of course, I guess if you own one, it probably doesn't matter. Jay Leno certainly doesn't care. I've seen him drive a lot of his exotic cars on the open road on TV. Gotta love the guy. Better than leaving them to collect dust in some old dusty warehouse.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
Ynot, it may be about the exclusivity but the last time I was at my dealer, there were 3 SLR's in the service area (one with the interior disassembled) and a new one in the show room. I realize that 4 cars doesn't exactly make the car common.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
Duo-Art said:
Ynot, it may be about the exclusivity but the last time I was at my dealer, there were 3 SLR's in the service area (one with the interior disassembled) and a new one in the show room. I realize that 4 cars doesn't exactly make the car common.
I still haven't seen one in my neck of the woods. With all of the gazillioners who live around here, you'd think that there would be a couple on the road.

·
Registered
06' SLK350
2,315 Posts
Duo-Art said:
Yeah, my dealer sold quite a few of them, had a couple in the showroom floor, with the caution taped around it, I'd asked my salesperson, he said most of them were for out of state people. If I have one I would take it to the track and have fun with it.

NewMB said:
I still haven't seen one in my neck of the woods. With all of the gazillioners who live around here, you'd think that there would be a couple on the road.
Yeah, I've seen a few but none on the road, it was all parked, would love to hear it get started and run on the road.

·
Registered
2005 slk 350
468 Posts
I think the convertible amps up the exotic, gotta-be-seen quotient quite a bit. I wouldn't mind being seen in one (unless it was by my wife, she'd kill me). Just wouldn't ever pay 7 SLK's for it. Seems senseless when you think of it that way.

I also think the top is one of the nicest soft tops I've seen (at least in the photo). The lines are great and it fits nice and tight, no scallops along the way.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
bmwnomore said:
I also think the top is one of the nicest soft tops I've seen (at least in the photo). The lines are great and it fits nice and tight, no scallops along the way.
I have to agree. Of course, for THAT price, you should get something pretty darn close to perfection. Hopefully, the owner won't have to use felt pads to keep it from squeaking. LOL.

·
Registered
2007 SLK55 AMG Iridium Silver
246 Posts
looks hot, just wish they used carbon fiber hardtop convertible instead of that rag top... no justice for a $500k supercar

·
Registered
11 Posts
not impressed

Not a big fan of the SLR either, I think the SL and SLK actually have better looking shapes.

For an exotic, I'd rather get a Lambo or Porsche Carrera GT.

·
Registered
SLK55,CayenneS,XKR
1,995 Posts
I know G55's are selling like cupcakes but the SLR isnt doing bad they sold 11 SLR's and 2 722 editions.

Ive seen a Gold SLR which looks superb and Ive also seen a Grey 722 which is marginaly sportier than the SLR.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts