Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 ML500 with 32,000 miles and I'm original owner. The SUV drives great once started on 2nd attempt. Is the CPS located at back of engine on driver side? Can I see some pictures if possible. I have a blue point automotive digital multimeter and would like to test the crank position sensor. Is there a specific electric test to do to check if it's good or bad?
The plugs and wires are all fine, the maf is good too. The said SUV is out of warranty so I want to try to fix what I can. I don't own a code checker.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I would be looking at your fuel filter and or pump. The fuel pressure regulator is in the filter and probably going bad. Get the fuel pressure checked. Should be around 55psi running and around 36 psi after sitting for 30 minutes with engine off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mattm/430,
Mahal o for your help. I was told the cps would always fail on this model/ year range.
I will follow your advice. But! The SUV doesrun fine when it starts and gas mileage is also as stated by vendor avg about 17 miles per gal.
Any tests I can do with my DMM?

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
mattm/430,
Mahal o for your help. I was told the cps would always fail on this model/ year range.
I will follow your advice. But! The SUV doesrun fine when it starts and gas mileage is also as stated by vendor avg about 17 miles per gal.
The crank sensor will generally fail when hot and then let you restart the vehicle after it cools down a little.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I would be looking at your fuel filter and or pump. The fuel pressure regulator is in the filter and probably going bad. Get the fuel pressure checked. Should be around 55psi running and around 36 psi after sitting for 30 minutes with engine off.

Matt my daughter has been saying the 350 is doing the same thing, of course it does not do it when the mechanic (me) drives the 350.

But I told her the same thing you said. I was wondering if the fuel pump is getting tired or the filter needs replacing as well.

My thought was at start there is not enough pressure at the rails. Then on second start there is. I told her to turn to Acc for ten seconds then go to start, see if it happens. Just had this conversation this weekend. So need to check with her to see what happened.

·
Registered
407 Posts
My daughter said tonight that she tried what I told her, to put it in Acc for ten seconds then start. She said since doing that it starts on 1st crank. So replacing fuel filter to start.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
mattm/430,
Crank sensor needs to produce >2V AC while cranking and >5V AC at idle.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
I have a 04 ML500 with 32,000 miles and I'm original owner. The SUV drives great once started on 2nd attempt. Is the CPS located at back of engine on driver side? Can I see some pictures if possible. I have a blue point automotive digital multimeter and would like to test the crank position sensor. Is there a specific electric test to do to check if it's good or bad?
The plugs and wires are all fine, the maf is good too. The said SUV is out of warranty so I want to try to fix what I can. I don't own a code checker.
Car is equipped with tip start. You put key in position 3, let go, ECM will take over and crank engine until it starts or for around 10 seconds. Temperature dependent.

·
Premium Member
16,767 Posts
When the eng. is cold, turn the key to pos. 2 and wait 10 secs. then turn the key to start. If the eng. starts, then it is either a partially clogged fuel filter or a weak full pump.

·
Registered
407 Posts
When the eng. is cold, turn the key to pos. 2 and wait 10 secs. then turn the key to start. If the eng. starts, then it is either a partially clogged fuel filter or a weak full pump.
Yep, but good Lord the fuel filter is about the same price as a decent fuel pump! Benz is 100, Mahle is a bit cheaper but not much 80. There are 40 dollar units on eBay but they look like they were made in a cannery!

Heard the internal pressure regulator can wear too.

Just found the Mahle kl438 here for 62.60 including shipping.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The crank sensor will generally fail when hot and then let you restart the vehicle after it cools down a little.
On American cars I can pull fuel filters with the special tools. Do these also work on the ML500? ONE more thing and I just checked it only has 31,537 miles. I'm only owner. Just started driving it more a year ago.
I will try to find out how to replace it on the internet unless you can point me in correct direction.
Do you drink coffee? I can send you a bag of Hawaii"s famous Kona coffee if yoh u like. Just let me know how and I"'ll send it out ASAP

Lance in beautiful Hawaii

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Italian coffee is the drink of choice Haha. The best in the world bar none.
No need for gifts we are all here to help out. thanks anyway.
Your fuel filter replacement requires special pliers to release the fuel lines properly. The fuel filter is between the body and chassis rail. Remove the rear left wheel and inner guard. You will see it tucked up in there. It’s a proper shit of a job to get it replaced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Italian coffee is the drink of choice Haha. The best in the world bar none.
No need for gifts we are all here to help out. thanks anyway.
Your fuel filter replacement requires special pliers to release the fuel lines properly. The fuel filter is between the body and chassis rail. Remove the rear left wheel and inner guard. You will see it tucked up in there. It’s a proper shit of a job to get it replaced.

Your very helpful and kind I appreciate all you doy for us do it your selfers!
Is the filter contained in the canister or do I disconnect all the lines to it and replace whole unit? Mona coffee is really good, not biter at all. I'm born in Hawaii and part Hawaiian and I'm not being bias. You should give it a try!

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Your very helpful and kind I appreciate all you doy for us do it your selfers!
Is the filter contained in the canister or do I disconnect all the lines to it and replace whole unit? Mona coffee is really good, not biter at all. I'm born in Hawaii and part Hawaiian and I'm not being bias. You should give it a try!
You need to replace the whole thing.
I always went with a genuine filter I found them to be better.

·
Premium Member
16,767 Posts
Matt my daughter has been saying the 350 is doing the same thing, of course it does not do it when the mechanic (me) drives the 350.

But I told her the same thing you said. I was wondering if the fuel pump is getting tired or the filter needs replacing as well.

My thought was at start there is not enough pressure at the rails. Then on second start there is. I told her to turn to Acc for ten seconds then go to start, see if it happens. Just had this conversation this weekend. So need to check with her to see what happened.
Hopefully, you ordered the correct part #163 477 08 01.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hopefully, you ordered the correct part #163 477 08 01.
I double and triple checked even checked via serial number. I also called a local euro parts store who did not have it in stock and confirmed with them (it would of taken a week for them to get one), but he gave me 163 477 08 01 and KL438. The local Benz dealer also did not have one in stock.

Since there are only 2 Name brands that sell the filter, Benz and Mahle chances are they are made in the same factory. Well see when it gets here, curious to know where it was made.

·
Registered
407 Posts
On American cars I can pull fuel filters with the special tools. Do these also work on the ML500? ONE more thing and I just checked it only has 31,537 miles. I'm only owner. Just started driving it more a year ago.
I will try to find out how to replace it on the internet unless you can point me in correct direction.
Do you drink coffee? I can send you a bag of Hawaii"s famous Kona coffee if yoh u like. Just let me know how and I"'ll send it out ASAP

Lance in beautiful Hawaii
Did some one say Kona coffee?

Lance there are several u tube videos each one I watched so far tells you what to do, but not one actually shows it being done. Some have said it is easier to pull up the back seat, remove the pump access panel, and remove the 2 lines off the pump, remove the filter with lines attached; then it is to try and disconnect the lines from the filter it self.

There is a post where a member said even though he had the pliers he had to modify them to get them to work on an Ml? My filter is to arrive Monday, will let all know how it goes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts