Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 ML350 BlueTec
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
l've had my 2002 ML 55 at the dealership for a week now, l've had a 2005 C230 Kompressor, as a loaner, a great little car...but back to my original point...there is a "vibration" that occurs when l have the vehicle in drive, but not in park..They have already changed the motor mounts, and the transmission mounts....but nothing....the vibration felt through the vehicle, especially through the back seat, almost feels like l have a new option, a vibrating back seat, it feels great on the lower back, but the "droan sound" is ridiculous....Any idea's....could it be the transmission?????there is some type of tension somewhere?????Thanks in advance.......[V]

·
Registered
2014 ML350 BlueTec
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No..it is not speed sensitive.....l could be sitting at a red light, with the vehicle in drive, and the noise and vibration is present...but as soon as l put the vehicle into park..it's gone...[?][?]

·
Registered
1999 Kleemann ML43K
1,390 Posts
In park there is no strain on the drivetrain

C-Rod - 4/28/2005 2:26 PM

No..it is not speed sensitive.....l could be sitting at a red light, with the vehicle in drive, and the noise and vibration is present...but as soon as l put the vehicle into park..it's gone...[?][?]
but of course in drive there is. Reading your original post I thought it to be an exhaust issue [headers, cat, or muffler] but I would guess it's the trans or axle or some other part of the drivetrain. I've never heard of this issue in an ML. Please keep us informed. What happens in neutral at a light? What about reverse?

·
Registered
Ml 500SE
269 Posts
C-Rod: These were the kind of problems I used to love to tackle when I was a GM mechanic in the 60's. I say mechanic because that's what we were. We had no computers to give us codes, we had to have the skill to figure it out. By process of elimination we know your problem can't be in the driveline, because the vehicle isn't moving. The engine is running and the brakes are applied and it's in drive gear. That only leaves the engine, the exhaust system, or anything that the engine turns. It's very difficult to diagnose a problem like this without hearing it first hand. My first guess would be to check and make sure the engine is running on all 8 cylinders. That combined with a leak in the exhaust system would be the first place I'd look. Don't know about the 55 but my 500 has a muffler under the back seat on the passanger side. A loose baffle in a muffler combined with a poor running engine can produce the drone and vibration you're talking about. When you take it out of gear if it's running on 7 cyliders, there is no load on it and it smooths out, but not like it was running on 8. Anyway have them check this out as my experience with MB techs shows they have lost their diagnosis sense if you will, and rely on computers too much. Hope this helps, let us know!! [8D]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts