Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do we have the "one touch up" windows function for year 2000 W163? If yes, how to activate it? If no, can we change any parts of the windows switches to make it has this function?

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
The 2000 ML430 has 'express open' for the front windows only. No 'express close' and no 'express anything' for the rear windows. I don't think that there is a programmable option for 'express close' is there is no extra switch indent in the close position. Besides, an automatic close function is somewhat dangerous.

DelJ

sam03 - 4/5/2005 12:49 AM

Do we have the "one touch up" windows function for year 2000 W163? If yes, how to activate it? If no, can we change any parts of the windows switches to make it has this function?

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,231 Posts
Actually, an auto-close function is not dangerous, as it requires a sensor to reverse direction if an obstruction is encountered. The MY2002+ refresh includes auto up and down for all windows. There were no changes to the window regulators or motors. The only change was in the center-console mounted control module. Basically, it provides power to the window motor for a long enough cycle for it to fully open or close. It also detects the resistive load on the motor when raising the glass and if it exceeds a preset threshold (as it would if obstructed), it reverses direction for pinch protection.

There are aftermarket products that do this. I seem to recall at least one BenzWorld member mentioned that he had installed one-touch up and down windows in his pre-2002 ML. I found this e-tailer selling components that might do the trick (I have e-mailed them some questions as I am interested in this for my windows and sunroof)

http://www.topendmotorsports.com/exterior/windows/autoloc/

- RODNEY

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
I would not trust my fingers to any automatic pinch sensor given how much trouble Mercedes had with power windows controls.

DelJ

rudeney - 4/6/2005 9:27 AM

Actually, an auto-close function is not dangerous, as it requires a sensor to reverse direction if an obstruction is encountered.
- RODNEY

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,231 Posts
I would not trust my fingers to any automatic pinch sensor given how much trouble Mercedes had with power windows controls.
The only problems I am aware of were the pre-2002 switches being defective. The newer style pinch protection does not use anything in the switch. It’s a simple electronic circuit that monitors the amount of current flowing to the motor. When it senses an unusual load, such as an obstruction, it reverses the flow of current. I’ve yet to see one fail.

On a side note, my parents just replaced their 2002 Lexus RX-300 with a 2005 RX330 so my mother could have the remote tailgate. She was showing me how it works and almost lost a finger! Apparently, when the tailgate is about two inches from being closed, the weight of it is enough that it does not sense the obstruction, such as a finger, quickly enough to reverse without damage. Luckily I was able to grab the tailgate and pull up on it to reverse it before it hurt her too badly, but some later testing with a twig (about the size of a child’s finger) proved that it can be very dangerous. I did the same on an 2006 ML500 and it sense the obstruction just fine.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the ideas. If I change the windows switches control as below, the one for 2003 W163, will it provide the "one touch up" function?

http://oem.overnightautoparts.com/parts/overnightautoparts/quote.jsp?make=MB&year=2003&product=O3060-101975&application=000440949&part=Window%20Switch&category=All

Thanks!

·
Registered
99 ML430
154 Posts
no thats an old style switch pre 02 and would also advise to stay away from that retailer as part listed is 03 is NOT starting 02 ML got windows switches MB old school style on the sides of shift gate four separate switches instead of one control box with everything on it

edit: as someone pointed out i am the one who did aftermarket express up and down on all windows and sunroof, i have used twindows modules and i think i saw autoloc makes a similar product.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you ML430ish. I think I just need to forget the "One touch up" for my car!
[:(]

·
19,231 Posts
no thats an old style switch pre 02 and would also advise to stay away from that retailer as part listed is 03 is NOT starting 02 ML got windows switches MB old school style on the sides of shift gate four separate switches instead of one control box with everything on it
You are correct that the part is likely misquoted, but I believe the MY2002+ switches are still in one module. It’s just U-shaped to surround the shifter.

edit: as someone pointed out i am the one who did aftermarket express up and down on all windows and sunroof, i have used twindows modules and i think i saw autoloc makes a similar product.
And speaking of which, the only product I could find is Autoloc. I can’t seem to find anything on “twindows�. I assume they do the same thing. I am thinking of getting the Autoloc product. Any installation tips would be greatly appreciated! For example, do you put your units in the console, or in each door? It seems to me that if possible, console placement would be much easier.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Looking at the Autoloc wiring diagram (http://www.autoloc.com/files/WC1000.pdf) you should be able to buy 1 unit only, and tap that into the "up" function of the two front window switches (in the console between the front seats). That will give you 1-touch up with Autoloc, and the standard ML 1-touch down.

·
19,231 Posts
Looking at the Autoloc wiring diagram (http://www.autoloc.com/files/WC1000.pdf) you should be able to buy 1 unit only, and tap that into the "up" function of the two front window switches (in the console between the front seats). That will give you 1-touch up with Autoloc, and the standard ML 1-touch down.
I was thinking the same thing, except that I am concerned that pinch protection might not work on the “down� function. I know in the factory implementation, there is no pinch protection when the window is being lowered. Also, I am curious to know if the circuits in the center console contain the actual power leads for the window motors or if they just control a relay. If they are the actual load-carrying circuits, then it makes the installation a much easier. If not, then I guess they would have to be placed in the doors, and since they also need a constant 12V+ line, that might be an issue.

I am also considering putting one on my sunroof. Since the existing circuit already provides one-touch opening (well, two-touch in reality) for sliding open, I am thinking I would wire the open circuit to the tilt-up function. Since pressing the slide-forward will also close the roof when it’s open, I could enjoy one-touch closing form either a sliding or tilted position. Then again, the “tilt-down� and “slide-forward� controls do the exact same thing, so I am wondering if it’s actually the same circuit?

- RODNEY

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Mmm, just thought about this. One caveat is that the window "load" must be available where this thing is installed to enable it to sense that the window is at the end of its travel or an obstacle is in the way. Not sure if the window switches in the console will "see" this load.

Ha ha. Rodney, I see you posted at the same time I did. I guess that the console switches will not carry the full window current...so in the door it is.

·
19,231 Posts
redeye - 4/8/2005 5:40 PM

Mmm, just thought about this. One caveat is that the window "load" must be available where this thing is installed to enable it to sense that the window is at the end of its travel or an obstacle is in the way. Not sure if the window switches in the console will "see" this load.

Ha ha. Rodney, I see you posted at the same time I did. I guess that the console switches will not carry the full window current...so in the door it is.
There is one thing I have found about this. According to MBZ documentation, the only change in the window switches for MY2002+ (which has the one-touch operation) is the switch assembly itself. There is no mention of any other components being involved. This leads me to believe that the wiring in the center console may supply full current to the window motors. I think I am going to order a set of these aftermarket modules and mess around with them. Don’t hold you breath waiting on my results, though – I’ve go a lot of stuff going on so it may be a while!

- RODNEY

1 - 14 of 14 Posts