Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes E320 (W124, M104)
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have recently noticed that my passenger front side is lower than driver side. I would say half an inch lower.
Also there is a squeaky noise coming from that side once in a while, specially when it is cold outside.

I bought the car several years back and it was already lowered, so not sure what brand my springs are.

My questions:

1. Is failing spring is the only reason once side can be lower than the other? if not what else should I check for ?

2. Can I find out the brand and model of my spring ( lowered one ) by taking it off and looking at it ?

3. Can I buy only two front springs instead of kit of four ?

Also, I looked at all suspension and it looks ok, springs seem to be ok as well. But how can I check if the spring is bad ?

Thanks,

Vlad,

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
18,276 Posts
Have you checked the rubber pad on top of the spring to see if it is still intact???

It could have rotted away due to age, causing the symptoms you describe.

·
Registered
1986? Mercedes-Benz 260E
10 Posts
I've also read some things about spring pearches rusting and cracking/breaking. Check out eh DIY thread as i believe there is some more information about it there.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,
I have checked the rubber and it is fine. Nothing is too rusty to make that noise.
Can anything else ( other than spring ) like strut&shock or strut mouth cause one side to be a bit lower than the other ?

·
Registered
1993 Mercedes 300CE
132 Posts
As it turns out, the ball joint can have an effect on the ride height. My car was doing the same thing about a year ago. I thought it was the spring pad, the spring itself, etc but when I finally took it to get looked at, it turned out to be a faulty ball joint. When replaced, the ride height leveled itself and the car rode like new.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,
The issue is that the noise is not permanent. Last winter it was very noisy, but when warm weather came and it all disappeared, till now when it is cold again. I took the spring off and unbolted the strut to turn the ball joint around, but no noise.
What did it cost you to replace the joint ? in my case it will be whole control arm, and since you have to replace both at the same time it will be quite a expense. Do you know what else can i check to make sure it is in fact a ball joint ?

Thanks,

Vlad

·
Registered
19 Posts
Problem here is you have no idea about your springs/shocks - if they are high quality German ones or cheap Chinese parts. Doubt you would even know if you took them off.

My $0.02 - I would get a pair of good aftermarket springs and shocks (say Bilstein gas units) and stick them on.

I changed mine - got Bilstein Sportline Nurburgring units from Euro car parts here in the UK £90 for each front unit. A pair of springs would probably be around half that.

I would wager the squeak is the cold shock.

Bear in mind a shock is a wearing part and crappy ones could make the difference between stopping or killing a kid one day.

·
Registered
Depends on the week
3,778 Posts
Do you know when the struts have last been changed?

·
Registered
1993 Mercedes 300CE
132 Posts
Hi,
The issue is that the noise is not permanent. Last winter it was very noisy, but when warm weather came and it all disappeared, till now when it is cold again. I took the spring off and unbolted the strut to turn the ball joint around, but no noise.
What did it cost you to replace the joint ? in my case it will be whole control arm, and since you have to replace both at the same time it will be quite a expense. Do you know what else can i check to make sure it is in fact a ball joint ?

Thanks,

Vlad
If you've replaced everything else and the ride height is still off, then the ball joint is probably the issue. And yes, it's good practice to replace both at the same time.

·
Registered
1989 Mercedes-Benz 300E
23 Posts
Check the welds where the top of the spring sits and is held into place (The body). The are like 3 tack welds and then covered up, notorious for braking and can blow everything out but if you only snapped one or 2 that may be the issue for height.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts