Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, at long last i got my one of a kind, custom steel rims... i even got to design the center plate...the offset is somewhere between et43 and et48 which is essentially the same as the newer 18" g500 rims that people have found fit the 460's well. These fit over the g500 brakes just fine. Look pretty cool with 275/70r16 bfg a/t ko's... that's about a 31.5" tire. 30lbs per rim with .25" laser cut stamped steel-plate centers. Silver painted.

1 problem.

The hole center isn't concentric enough to the shell for my tastes. The hole center and bolts holes fit nice and snug on the hub of the truck (in fact more snug than my factory rims), but i don't think the hole center is concentric enough with the shell of the rim for proper highway service. In other words, they'll vibrate too much for my tastes even though they're balanced.

Should be fine for offoad duty and around town.

Anybody interested in them?

I've yet to confirm with the company who made them, (most of their buisiness is for double beadlocker rims on trucks running 35" tires and up so i think he isn't used to such a picky customer) but i can't imagine he wants them back since i'm the only g-wagen owner he knows, and they wont do me any good. Shipping was about 115 accross the country. As a note, i'm returning the tires so it'll be bare rims.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
What happened??? You were so excited to have custom wheels and now you're getting rid of them?

They don't look so bad...

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
those look a lot better in real life than in the drawings i think.

that sucks that you dont like them...

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Why not repair them?

Have the centers and holes welded and re-cut concentric with the wheel.

Do you have an idea how far they're off? Another thing that's not uncommon is to have the tires trued after they're mounted and before they're balanced. They actually shave rubber from the tire's periphery to make it's outside surface concentric with either the hub center or the bolt hole pattern, dependingon which type of mandrel they put in the machine.

Hate to see you go to all that work and come up DNF so close to the finish line.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
If a place that is in the business of modifying wheels is not able to center the center bore and welds look like a carpenter did them - I would certainly ask my money back.

Harald

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RE: Why not repair them?

Kerr, oh I want the rims and I think they'd have looked very nice on the truck, but i'm a no-vibration nut. I had Flounder in my truck (he had an old 460) and was like "Dude! it rides SOOO smooth in comparison...!"

Hipine, Your telling me, the DNF really sucks because i blew way too much time on these. The paper work is at home, but from memeory, the hi to low spots on the rim (which indicate out of round there was between probably .04" to .09". Laterally they seemed true enough. I could look into having them fixed, but that'd probably cost as much as the rims given the labor rate in my area nor do i know of any rim fixing places locally. It's definitely a bummer. I'd consider tire shaving if i was runny swampers, but BFG A/T's?... those should run pretty round.

Stazworks just got an $8 million military contract so either he forgot to do something on my wheels in managing that new responsibility, or he's just used to making rims for offraod vehicles where the tires are usually between 35" and 57"... so big this just wouldn't matter.

·
BenzWorld G Class Host
2002 800RMK
1,518 Posts
Too bad they wont work for you[:(]

I have to second Haralds comment though, the welds look awful, I have never seen such inconsistency from someone claiming to be a professional welder. Personally, upon seeing the quality, I would have walked away and never even mounted tires on them.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The welds aren't cosmetic that's for sure, but i trust them to be strong, they just don't have good rythm. They are welded all the way around each spoke unlike most steelies only welded on one side.

He got an $8 dollar military contract to do big double bedlockers so he managed to convince someone of something... but then that doesn't fundamentally imply good judgemet.

No interst from anyone? I may just be giving them away unless he wants them back...? He's interested to inspect them to see what he did wrong, but to my thinking it's time better spent to make sure his future rims are done right.

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Erik,

the simple fact that your wheels are not centered is bad news - that's what your guy did wrong. The bad welds just add to the pain and underline that the guy is not a competent wheel fabricator. Where is he located?

Military contract? Lowest bidder! Bad for the guys putting their lives on those wheels. Bad for us tax payers as well.

Here is how custom wheels should look like: http://www.stocktonwheel.com/

Harald

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
Eric,

Did you look into something like this:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=172567&posts=13

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1124485&posts=14&hl=

Dave

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
did you say give them away! im a sucker for free stuff! those bad boys are mine if you decide to give them away!

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rims, offset, esp...

I never saw those threads mb230's where the heck was I?!?!

unfortunately the stockton wheels aren't my style nor are the outlaws (not that funky looking welds are). Those outlaws are one of your favorites right mb230's? That is a classic truck wheel. Nor do i think stockton will do custom hole bores and bolt patterns even if i was interested. At least to date, stazworks was the only one that could make a 16x8 with correct offset and and clear the rotors in the range that's actually of MB factory wheels. ET32 was too far out for me, let alone et25 like on the Outlaw II's.

Stazworks actually came well recommended from this forum, so it reallyl wasn't a blind jump, but an unfortunate one non-the-less. I'm also wondering if it isn't the shells... this is basically the first time he's used them so he might have stumbled upon a junk supplier.

I'm starting to think alloys are the only way to go because the bead surface "should" be machined during the same setup as for the bolt holes and center bore.

Honestly, based on my experience, you could have the same exact problem with re-machining those outlaw wheels if you don't have a really meticulous setup.

I'm tempted to just go factory rims for they may just have the best quality control available... which is something i can appreciate.

... the saga is not over...

Changing the subject a little, Thai (siagon) are you running the g320 "Atik" wheels now with 265/70's. Hows the ESP system treating you? Better now? I wonder how scorchie's behaves with et25 and 35's.

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
RE: rims, offset, esp...

ewalberg - 4/14/2005 1:07 PM

I never saw those threads mb230's where the heck was I?!?!

unfortunately the stockton wheels aren't my style nor are the outlaws (not that funky looking welds are). Those outlaws are one of your favorites right mb230's? That is a classic truck wheel. Nor do i think stockton will do custom hole bores and bolt patterns even if i was interested. At least to date, stazworks was the only one that could make a 16x8 with correct offset and and clear the rotors in the range that's actually of MB factory wheels. ET32 was too far out for me, let alone et25 like on the Outlaw II's.

Stazworks actually came well recommended from this forum, so it reallyl wasn't a blind jump, but an unfortunate one non-the-less. I'm also wondering if it isn't the shells... this is basically the first time he's used them so he might have stumbled upon a junk supplier.

I'm starting to think alloys are the only way to go because the bead surface "should" be machined during the same setup as for the bolt holes and center bore.

Honestly, based on my experience, you could have the same exact problem with re-machining those outlaw wheels if you don't have a really meticulous setup.

I'm tempted to just go factory rims for they may just have the best quality control available... which is something i can appreciate.

... the saga is not over...

Changing the subject a little, Thai (siagon) are you running the g320 "Atik" wheels now with 265/70's. Hows the ESP system treating you? Better now? I wonder how scorchie's behaves with et25 and 35's.
Not sure where you were - in all fairness I "know" Scorchie from the other forum where he has a picture of his G offroading. He pointed me back to this forum for the rim details. They stick out too far for my tastes. Salt spray in the winter would be a major problem for me. Not an issue where he is driving and I think he may only use those rims offroad anyway. I'm still holding out for a better 18" tire option. I might entertain boring out the center of a Porsche 16x8 rim, otherwise I'll order the twin to my 18" rim in the 16" size someday.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts