Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 SLK230
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...how much more should I factor into my total drive-the-car-off-the-dealer's-lot price?

That is, is there a way to compute what all the additional fees, taxes (I'm in Maryland), tags (license plates) and dealer "prep" charges might be so I can factor those into my budget when negotiating?

I did ring my state's motor vehicle office, but they referred me to their website, which isn't much more helpful than they were.

·
Registered
2003 SLK230
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response, but is it realistic to expect the dealer to clean/detail and perform the state safety inspection without charging?

I'm not planning to buy or accept any "rustproofing" or "paint sealing" or "fabric protection" types of add-ons, but I don't want to get blindsided with some (unavoidable/required) additional $800+ charge after I've negotiated a price. Especially, if the price ends up at the upper limit of my funds.

·
Registered
'99 SLK230
116 Posts
Require the dealership to quote / agree to the OTD (out the door) price. This should include all dealer fees. Depending on how your state collects taxes this may or may not include your sales tax - but that should be already included in your budget.

If you negotiate an OTD price and there are any, and I mean any, add'l fees tacked on when you meet the finance manager then I'd walk. In this economy there's a really good chance they'll be calling you back to work it out.

·
Registered
1997 E420
91 Posts
Thanks for the quick response, but is it realistic to expect the dealer to clean/detail and perform the state safety inspection without charging?
Inspection requirements vary by state. I think here in PA, if you buy a used car with a valid inspection sticker, it remains valid until expiration. But if this car requires an inspection, I'd consider that a valid additional expense.

I personally wouldn't pay for additional cleaning or detailing.

·
Registered
PROUD OWNER! 2002 slk32 AMG
1,505 Posts
when i negotiate the price im willing to pay it already includes any fees by the dealer. i wouldnt pay to have a car detailed if its at a dealer it should be done before hitting the lot. as for taxes it up to your state. doc fees are added by most dealers and i wont pay them.
right up to the point you sign a contract you are under no obligation to buy. if you agree to a price and they tack on on some add. fees walk out, its that simple. dont fall for the "i have to have THIS car syndrome!"

·
Registered
01 SLK 320, 02 C320
29 Posts
When I bought the last two MB (C320 & SLK 320), the dealership was more than happy to detail the cars for free. Just tell them you want it detailed before picking it up and it should be included in the OTD price of the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts