Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the thread turns ...

As you all have heard, I REALLY want power folding mirrors (PFM) added to my US spec 2010 E350 W212. I contacted Steve at MBenzNL and he installed the folding mirrors and the driver's-side door switch. So Far, So Good.

BUT, when he tried to update my computer, the car simply refused to recognize the new hardware. Bummer! :crybaby2:

On Steve's advise I took my car to my local MB dealer where they tried to update the "ONLINE PROGRAMMING followed by ONLINE SCN CODING of the CENTRAL GATEWAY and the INSTRUMENT CLUSTER" per Steve's email. Still no working mirrors ... BUMMER! :crybaby2:

So, I'm opening it up to the brillance of my fellow MB owners on BenzWorld for (serious) advise on how to proceed. Anyone else get PFM to work on a US Spec W212? Anyone else know of a MB tech that might be able to assist? Anyone know the magic code that might help? I'm sure I could rustle up somesort of reward, or at least buy you a beer when you're in town!

(Also on MBWORLD.ORG @ On-the-road to "Power Folding Mirror" Nirvana - MBWorld.org Forums

·
Registered
143 Posts
My $0.02. Not sure how many MB dealers are around your area but my experience with dealer service departments vary from dealer to dealer. Some dealer techs really know their stuff and will go around getting what needs to be done "done". Some don't want to be liable for programming certain codes esp if it was added by a third party which is in your case. Others simply just don't know much beyond basic service needs.

I had a 04 C320 w/Command and wanted to install the MB iPod integration (so I can control iPod via the steering wheel controls) but the tech at my local dealer said he knew how to wire it up but won't do it as it would require recoding that would void the warranty of the vehicle since the iPod interface was designed for 05 and up MBs w/Command. ?????

Since European models have the pwr folding mirror option then there must be a universal code that will make your W212 work with this feature that MBenzNL installed. Surprised MBenzNL could not reprogram it, they do crazy retrofits and all.

You may also try performance shops that specialize in MBs. Not sure which part of Cali you reside but in SoCal, there is this place Auto Mechanic Los Angeles - Auto Repair Los Angeles Porsche BMW Mercedes | German Independent.

Good Luck

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sam; do you need them? I had them on a SUV and never used them. Felt it was just something to break or blow a fuse.

I am not trying to be a smart a$$, but really would like your comment on the day to day use of that feature once you have it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Day to day? I have a very small garage I share with an SUV, a couple of inches more will allow our doors to open wider without banging into the bodywork.

Out in the rest of the world, the mirrors always seem to be bumped out of alignment by other inconsiderate parkers ... more an ongoing annoyance then anything else. Closing them will solve this issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sam; do you need them? I had them on a SUV and never used them. Felt it was just something to break or blow a fuse.

I am not trying to be a smart a$$, but really would like your comment on the day to day use of that feature once you have it.
We have this feature on two of our cars and use it all the time. I'm in the habit of always retracting the mirrors whenever we park to shop or go out to eat, etc....

Also, even with a wide drive and garage I find it comforting to get them out of the way of our kid's who come and go via the drive and garage with their bicycles constantly. Not to mention their friends whose parents haven't raised them to be OCD about the family cars.

I'd be very interested to see if the OP can get this working as I'd like to add folding mirrors to my wife's new E350 Wagon.

·
Registered
ML320, ML500, S550V4, ML550
423 Posts

I have manual folding mirrors on my ML500 but rarely use them.
On my S550 they automatically fold when locking so it adds protection without the effort of remembering each time, plus I find it a useful visual cue to tell if the car is locked or not from a distance.

Good luck getting the coding...

·
Registered
2013 SL550, 2011 E550 4-Matic, 2010 S550, 2010 BMW X3
57 Posts
Just picked up my new 2011 E550 yesterday and was surprised to see that it did not have the power folding mirrors! My ML and S550 have them. Is there a reason MB did not include them on the US models? What a waste, huh? It's kinda' like BMW not putting cup holders in there cars a few years back.

With that said, I can manually fold them in and when I do the added space is almost negligible, but it still offers some protection for the mirrors. MBUSA missed the boat on this one. Any chance that MB will provide a factory or OEM upgrade to power mirrors for dealer install?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts