Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300D turbo
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to look at an e300 tomorrow, one owner, all maintenence records from MB dealer, radiator, AC drier unit, and headgasket all done less than 2 years ago. Asking price $3200...but it has 220k miles on it.
My questions are:

Are these engines seriously capable of going to 300k and beyond?

Should I get a leakdown test on this to determine the tightness of this engine?

What would be the cost of a rebuild on this engine?

Also, I'm going to look at a 95 e320 with 160k miles.

Is this engine as reliable as the e300?

Are the same things to look out for on the e300 (ac, radiator, head gasket) the same on this engine?

Any help is appreciated, hopefully I'll join the ranks of 124 owners soon!

·
Registered
93 300E
12 Posts
the e300 with the 2.5 5 cyl should have had a new timing chain by now. Symptoms of a stretched chain are excessive smoking and rough idle. Remove the valve cover and inspect cam timing with crank set at tdc. Max difference should be 3 degrees. If more than this, replace the chain. A relativly inexpensive routine maintenance on what should be a strong running engine for a long time. $3200.00 sounds reasonable.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
head gaskets like to leak oil on the 300, they like to blow on the 320 b/w cylinders 5 & 6 from my experience.

At 220K if the head has not been done I Guarantee the guides etc are Toast. Expect to pay 2-3K for a top end/timing chain/change all the things you should while you're in there.

The rings/cylinder walls will still look new at 220, no point in a leak down, all the wear will be in the head.

95 E320 will require wiring harness's every 100K, PITA to put them in and the price goes up every few months. Also, for what ever reason replacement engine bits for the M104 (320) are quite pricey.

Haven't had much issue w/ 124 M103 radiators, almost all the head gaskets leak oil but that's just part of owning a 124.

Just give the car a thorough going over, test ALL the accesories. The 5 link rear suspension links are prone to wear as are the rear diff mounts.

That's all I can think of at the moment!

Jonathan

·
Registered
1985 300D turbo
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. Is the wiring harness on the 94 bad as well? Will the head need to be rebuilt on the e320 around 200-225k as well? I always hear about how reliable these cars are, but multi thousand dollar maintenence charges are not something I can keep up with. Should I just look for one with lower mileage? Its been 2 weeks and this will be the 8th car I've looked at, to be honest I'm kinda losing faith.

·
Registered
SL320, 300e, 450SL
1,044 Posts
Septimus...I too am looking at some of the same cars w/ higher mileage. Im just keeping in mind that it will probably need some of the above listed procedures in time. And yes, those wiring harnesses do need replacing at/about 100k miles. Its not just exclusive to one year 124. And $3200 is a very good price imo if SOME of the major service items has been implemented already. The e320's seem to carry the same or if not more value on the used market than the e420's?. You could always buy a 2000 Ford taurus for $4-5k and junk it at 200k miles[xx(][xx(].
Just kidding...Good luck in your search and dont forget to post pic of the new 124.

·
Registered
'93 300E 2.8
248 Posts
When considering such high mileage cars, you have to view it relative to all cars. For example, would you consider a Lexus with 220K on the clock? Wouldn't it also need some expensive maintenance? Also, after such maintenance, how long would it be before you needed that kind of maintenance again? Probably a long, long time. So you have to ask yourself how long you plan on owning the car. If the answer is 5 to 8 more years, maybe that cost isn't that bad.

Also consider if another car make with high mileage. Would you even have the option of maintenance to bring it back to form?

·
Registered
SL320, 300e, 450SL
1,044 Posts
Good post Wadman! I just found a 1 owner 95e320 Blk/blk w/ only 95000 miles for $7000. I know this is higher than what the original poster was looking to spend but this car is several model years newer, and the worst you could do is sell it w/ 150000 miles on it for no less than $5k. I dont mind miles if taken care of, but the finances in buying lower mileage,newer year MB makes a little more sense to me when youre losing about the same amount of money when you sell. Most of these w124's are in the basement as far as value goes anyways.good luck

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Septimus - 4/3/2005 8:04 AM

Is the wiring harness on the 94 bad as well? Will the head need to be rebuilt on the e320 around 200-225k as well? .
Yes, and Yes.

Jonathan

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
bc2885 - 4/3/2005 2:24 PM

Good post Wadman! I just found a 1 owner 95e320 Blk/blk w/ only 95000 miles for $7000.
I'd take a Good Hard look at the harness in that car...your getting right into replacement mileage/territory..

Jonathan

·
Registered
SL320, 300e, 450SL
1,044 Posts
10-4 on that johnathon. I had my trusty mag lite up in there rootin around. question .. when these get bad, what have you guys noticed the car doing different?? [:0]

·
Registered
1985 300D turbo
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I looked at 2 more w124's today and they were both crap. I give up. I bought an issue-free '95 BMW 318ti with 87k on the clock for 5900. Sorry to be a traitor. In my observation, the people that have these cars now love them, and the only ones for sale are for sale because its time for major maintenence. Thanks for the advice and goodbye to benzworld, you've all been very nice.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I'd hope that's an overdue april fools joke.. The 318 has to be the WORST engine ever designed by BMW..

Interesting you can't find a decent one, I wasn't even looking and found a Very nice 88 TE that needed a transmission for 900$. Then I found an absoloutly gorgeous, near perfect 92 E300D. Both came with every single record since new and both were meticulously maintained.

I'm thinking of selling the diesel if you're interested.

Jonathan

·
Registered
SL320, 300e, 450SL
1,044 Posts
Septimus...Wait, come back!! I saw a BMW for sale coming back from looking at another w124 today that was crap too and said to myself...Thats not a bad lookin Bimer! Then as my clk430 got my full attention back, i noted that i had a quick slip of the mind temporarely. Those little bmw arent a 124 imo, but they work in a pinch, i quess??[8]

·
Registered
1994 E320
1,730 Posts
I looked at 2 more w124's today and they were both crap. I give up. I bought an issue-free '95 BMW 318ti with 87k on the clock for 5900.
Septimus,

First of all, congratulations on your new car.
Sorry to burst your bubble, though, but here in Arabia we have a saying: "You fasted for days, and then you had an onion for breakfast." There's absolutely nothing wrong with buying a bimmer or any brand other than Mercedes (yeah right [:D]) as long as you're happy with it. But, a 318? A four-banger on a bimmer? Gimme a break!

·
Registered
1985 300D turbo
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, the m44 1.8l 4cyl that came along in 90 or 91 to replace the older 1.8 is far superior to the previous 4 cyl and is a great, long lasting engine. Timing chain, multivalved head, and they got rid of the old "profile" head gasket which was crap and was replaced with a standard type design using a metal gasket. Its one of the smoothest 4's i've driven with a great german torque curve that goes from 2500 up to about 5k. All this in the lightest chassis you can get in this bodystyle (the 318ti is the hatchback one) means it gets around just fine. Only thing that needs attention is to have the suspension tightened up, and its ready to roll.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I had to replace the readiator in my 300E at less than 60,000 miles as well as the head gasket and a million other things (costed a packet but worth it).

According to my mechanic it was all caused by the wrong "thermostat valve" being fit from the factory, causeing the fans to cut in too late (making the engine run hotter (retarded timing 90% of the time).

Now with all the new (and right) bits fitted,... SHE'S BACK!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts