Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1984 380SL
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did, and upgraded my 380sl with an onstar FMV mirror. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/01/technology/personaltech/onstar-fmv-offers-premium-but-costly-service.html?pagewanted=all I have never been a total purist about my SL, and have been unafraid to tweak to to suit my needs ie; new stereo system complete with dvd, bluetooth blah, blah, blah. Always within reason, (I kept the original stero so that I could always reinstall it later). But what the heck, I actually bought the car to drive.

So with this in mind, I wonder if others have looked at this option for roadside assistance, bluetooth, and navigation, or even just emergency services Are there other options that members have looked at? I had mine installed at Best Buy during a special promotion that cost me $99.00 for the device and the install. (200 cheaper than the original price a month or so ago).

Interested in hearing your thoughts.

·
Registered
1978 450SL--117K
1,374 Posts
My Cadillac came with it. It's a very nice system to have built in. However, nowadays, an iPhone will do most of it anyway and for roadside assistance, you just need to have a MB dealer change your oil once every 18 months to get free roadside assistance. Which, is very good. Anna had used it a few times when the 450SL was having alternator issues. It was in the data base as the PO only used the nearest dealer to service it.

·
Registered
'88 560SL, '19 AMG E53 Cpe, '15.5 Volvo XC60, '53 MG TD, '35 Ford Cpe and a few more
219 Posts
I'm a fan of a built-in system. I activated the mBrace on our newer Merc after the American wife tried calling MB Roadside Assistance at 2am from BFE Nevada on her mobile phone and being told that they couldn't help her because they didn't know where she was. The next time was was seamless using mBrace.

·
Registered
'86 560SL 101,000 mi
71 Posts
I'm a fan of a built-in system. I activated the mBrace on our newer Merc after the American wife tried calling MB Roadside Assistance at 2am from BFE Nevada on her mobile phone and being told that they couldn't help her because they didn't know where she was. The next time was was seamless using mBrace.
I had no problems getting help- I was three hours from the nearest dealership when my alternator went. I was able to give them an address, and they sent a certified third party. They considered putting me up in a nearby hotel since it was late at night. Granted, a jump wasn't enough, but MB roadside was very prompt. I was lucky my friend's family lived just down the street, so that I could be rescued the next morning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts