Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560SEL Astral Silver/Silver blue leather,Michelins,SONY
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to sticky under the Welcome banner. It say manuals on-line etc. I go in there and start to look for brake system maint and repair and every section I click on brings up a screen that says "Sorry, not here any more. Report to us blah blah blah." So I ask: is it me (again) or something not right in the system. You might recall I am the poor soul with the $25 set of useless CD manuals that now repose somewhere in the bottom of a drawer!! Okay..okay, several guys have offered to walk me through it on the phone and we'll get to it someday.
But...can I not access anything from the "on-line" manuals?:confused:

·
W123 Moderator
78 450 SL, 84 500sec (Euro), 94 E320 Wagon and 85 500 SEL (Real AMG, 5.4, Pentas & Body Kit)
797 Posts

·
Registered
1983 380SEL
352 Posts
In the last month or so I've updated my computer to the most recent version of Adobe Acrobat Reader and I continue to have automatic updates to Windows 7.

Now I find that I can't view PDF files through Internet Explorer and Adobe Acrobat. But I can save some online PDF files to my computer's hard drive by right clicking on the file name and then clicking on "Save Target As..." and browsing to the desired folder. Once I've done that and close Internet Explorer I can view these PDF files directly from the hard drive. This saving procedure won't work with the MB online manual because the links start up the menu software required to access the PDF files.

I can still use the CD and DVD versions of the MB Manuals.

As I mentioned before, I prefer to use the more complete version (including the 110 engine manual and the complete Maintenence Manual in a single PDF file). This DVD was purchased from pumpkin874, a UK eBay seller. It provides unencumbered access to the PDF files without going through a software gateway. The PDF files are very large, see the screen shots in the linked post:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1659066-trouble-loading-mbenz-cd-manuals.html#post5306452

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried this link with Chrome

I am running windows 7 with Acrobat Reader 9 installed

http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outside/12253/disc 2/program/Chassis/42-0010.pdf
Well, guess what!? I used the link and actually GOT some infor on brake bleeding etc! Thank you thank you thank you!!
Now I am going to go back and see if I can use that link to get to other stuff.
Oh. I am using Windows Vista 32-bit with Svc.Pak 2 and IE7. Perhaps that is why, or part of the reason CD's no work for me. I have Adobe ActiveX something-or-other in the machine. Remember fellas, I am no more adept at computer stuff than I am at engine mechanics.
Now fly tying on the other hand......:surrender:

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
PM me your email and I'll send you the manuals in PDF form already. Then you can read them directly.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I DID go the Chrome route and it DID give me the brake pages. I tried to move from there into more manual stuff but no go. I have a disc coming from Ebay that is supposed to allow me to just READ the $$%#$^ thing without a bunch of #$#@#% upfront.
I'ts not that I CAN do any of these job, or most of them, BUT I want to know what is involved when I take the car to an Indie shop. Am about to try a place 50-miles from here and just have them clean ABS solenoids and maybe change brake fluid, just so I can check them out as a future place to do chain guides etc. Dealership wants $1800 to do guides etc. and from what I can understand I know it just does NOT take that much to get that job done.
So......we move forward. With the help of the good folks here. Thank you all. Someday, when I KNOW something, maybe I can help out.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Call me at the numbers sent you in that first email and I will walk you through it. I thought I explained it pretty good in the form email I send out with the manuals. I will re-read it and see if it still makes sense.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, I found four pages you had sent me and read through them but that was all I had....nothing else.
I'm not going to bother you guys with this any more. I MAY have an Adobe problem preventing me from using the "official" PAID discs and I cannot get beyonf a certain level searching in Chrome either. Part of all this is operator error. I have purchased a disc on Ebay and will take a look at that. I know there have been some grim comments about Ebay discs but what the heck.
At any rate.....I will not bring this up again. Sorry.

·
Slightly creased
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,613 Posts
Do you have the MBUSA 2 CD service manual disk set?

If yes, have you downloaded the Steve Nervig index extension for it?

Without that index extension the information on those disks is very difficult to access.

If you have EPC/WIS clones disks, then many (including myself) have never been able to get them to work however.

In the USA you get free access to MB's on-line system and for the rest of the world, if you are a member of the official MB club for your area, you get free access to the world-wide MB on-line system.

·
Registered
1988 560SEL
63 Posts
Do you have the MBUSA 2 CD service manual disk set?

If yes, have you downloaded the Steve Nervig index extension for it?

Without that index extension the information on those disks is very difficult to access.

If you have EPC/WIS clones disks, then many (including myself) have never been able to get them to work however.

In the USA you get free access to MB's on-line system and for the rest of the world, if you are a member of the official MB club for your area, you get free access to the world-wide MB on-line system.
The WHOLE MBUsa Experience has been more than frustrating & appalling; their mission apparently is to withhold ANY Tech Info ...
I've found a reasonably priced source for the W126 Manuals, but I have NO Idea whether the info (OR Site!) is reliable, thus I say "Caveat Emptor"! I offer the Website address as a POSSIBLE source ... Mercedes W126 series, repair manual, Cars Repair Manuals

·
Registered
Proud owner of an Blue-Black (Charcol Gray) '91 420SEL
704 Posts
I have said it before. I think that in order to be a mechanic at a dealership you must go to several schools.
The manuals are only the highlighted notes from class because they are very poor even with the original factory paper manuals. They would be good if you had attended all the classes but are not much good to us that have not.

Kind of discouraging to say the least.

jimm1009

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,531 Posts
I agree, stuff like "remove dashboard" is too brief. Yeah yeah, I'm exaggerating but not much. Some parts are ok but some are pretty useless and assume you know how to get there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts