1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys !

I have a 1987 560 SEL, which has an on-board
trip computer situated on the cluster gauge,
first I had a problem with translating what
the writting meant since it was in German,
but thanx to a couple of helpful members on
this community web-site, that issue is resolved.

HOW EVER !!!!

Could anyone teach me how to work the buttons to
the on-board trip computer ????

It seems that it's a bit complicated, apparently
sometimes you have to press a couple of buttons
together at once to activate some displays on the
screen, and at other times you have to press several
buttons in a certain order one after the other.

So, does anybody know how to work this thing ?[?][?]

thanx,
Kouzaymos

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi there...

I also have the trip computer...

I found a copy of the instructions, but they're in French...

If that's any use to you, let me know and I'll send you them as scanned images...

·
Registered
560SEL 1987
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey 560 SEC,

thanks that would be great, French is no problem
what so ever.
Could you please send me the scanned copies to the
following e-mail, [email protected]

Once again many thanks bro !

best,
Kouzaymos

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
44,122 Posts
Volker280E was going to scan and send me the instructions from Germany. Let me know if you still need them.

·
Registered
560SEL 1987
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That would be GREAT !!!! if it's not to much trouble,
HorstK
cause 560_SEC , has yet to send me the French version,
and in any case I realy could do with
the instructions.

thx.
kouzaymos

·
Registered
1972 350SL (4.5), 1985 500SEC, 1985 500SEL
8 Posts
Guest said:
That would be GREAT !!!! if it's not to much trouble,
HorstK
cause 560_SEC , has yet to send me the French version,
and in any case I realy could do with
the instructions.

thx.
kouzaymos
Have you ever received english version of on board computer instructions? I am picking up a 85 500SEL this week. Have found old Owners Manual for euro version of 500SEL. It covers all options but the computer.
thanks, chucks

·
Registered
W126, W140 & W221
53 Posts
Chucks,

The trip computer has it's own book all together titled "Reiserechner" or Travel Calculator in English. Part number 126 584 94 96

I have a hand translated copy from German to English. The previous owner of my car sat and translated line by line. If there is interest I can scan and upload for everyone.

Matthew

·
Registered
1985 380SE
1,293 Posts
If you need somewhere to host the images, I have unlimited bandwidth and server space. Just e-mail them to me at daabenz at gmail dot com.

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
A very rare option indeed. I personally have not seen any U.S. models with this this option, only in pictures. The way the tach is set up to the left is really neat. good luck on diciphering the instructions.

·
Premium Member
1989 560SEC AMG Euro / 2012 C300 4Matic Sport / 2006 CLS500 AMG
2,349 Posts
I would much rather have the tach in that position, the lack of a clock is no biggie.

An interesting idea for a classy modification would be to take that instrument cluster design and leave out the trip computer for an open pod. Installing a backup camera/phone /screen/radar integration in that space would be a nice modern upgrade and very unique!

- Steve

·
Registered
1990 Euro 560SEL
433 Posts
redwood said:
A very rare option indeed. I personally have not seen any U.S. models with this this option, only in pictures. The way the tach is set up to the left is really neat. good luck on diciphering the instructions.
Actually, even rarer is to see the trip computer option show up on a W107. Saw the picture the other day on a 88 500SL. Now that's rare.

·
Registered
1972 350SL (4.5), 1985 500SEC, 1985 500SEL
8 Posts
MJM said:
Chucks,

The trip computer has it's own book all together titled "Reiserechner" or Travel Calculator in English. Part number 126 584 94 96

I have a hand translated copy from German to English. The previous owner of my car sat and translated line by line. If there is interest I can scan and upload for everyone.

Matthew
That would be much appreciated. I just contacted my local Mercedes dealer and they told me it was not a valid part number and. Next I tried the MB Customer assistance center in NJ. They also told me they can't find it. I told them it was for a European option and they would have to contact MB in Germany but they can't seem to do that either!
thanks,
chucks

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
The trip computer set-up does have a clock - it's digital LCD and sits just below the speedo.

Here's pics of the system i installed in my w124 - it's a straightforward install, took me less than 3 hours. Routing the wiring loom and positioning the relay are the only tedious bits.

I have a a whole system for a w126 as well, which i shall fit soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 380SE
1,293 Posts
PLEASE people when taking pictures inside a car with a point and shoot camera, remember to raise the ISO so that it will raise the shutter speed so things won't be so shaky.

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Does retro-fitting a system into a W126 coupe involve new woodwork in the centre console as well?

- Steve

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Like this you mean.....

Would have been better to post up some examples with your professional photo taking directive....not that it's important...this is a car forum, people don't have to have a degree in photography.

talbir

Attachments

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
cyberdyne said:
Does retro-fitting a system into a W126 coupe involve new woodwork in the centre console as well?

- Steve

Yep - the cut-out for the trip computer wood is very specific...so the gear surround wood is required.

talbir

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Could a standard wood panel be modified to fit or is it different?

- Steve

1 - 20 of 40 Posts