Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E320
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come the computer on my 2000 W210 doesn't show how much fuel there is on the tank and also doesn't show the MPG. My previous 01 e430 showed it, also my friends 00 E320 shows it. Is this a computer upgrade or a feature that the car comes with??

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
My 2001 came with those and so should yours. Are you sure you are scrolling to the right place on your display? IIRC get to the service reminder screen using the up/down arrow keys then hit the one of the others (overlapping pages) until you see MPG, fuel in tank, etc.

·
Registered
2000 E320
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do Musikmann, its just doesn't show up, I did the same that I was doing with my 2001 E430, I just thought maybe my car doesn't have it, actually even the Fuel Tank Gauge is not working at all. I don't think that this things are related...I guess..lol I go the menu that I use the arrows up and down but nothing comes up, it skips the part where it should show how much fuel i should have on the tank and also the gas mileage as well.

·
Registered
2000 E320
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will check it again in a bit, I have a 2000 E320 not a 01 E430 don't get confused. :)

Thnx

·
Registered
2000 E320
243 Posts
I have a 2000 E320 and it shows on mine. If your fuel tank guage isn't working then you may have a connection issue somewhere and could be related to why its not showing in your dash.

Don't rule anything out unless its checked.

·
Banned
2003 Mercedes S430
806 Posts
Many of these models used 81 Cadillac information centers from the old V8-6-4 engine that had to be wired for the Mercedes. No every feature works. If you remove the dash, you'll find a label marked "Keep That Great GM Feeling With Genuine GM Parts".

·
Registered
2000 E320
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked it again, and it doesn't show on the computer. Usually before i checked it on my previous E430 by hitting menu where it displays the Mileage, I go next, than its Engine Oil Check, than next is service A notification. the next one should be the MPG/Tank level Fuel, it's not there...its confusing.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
MarioTR,

OK if you are using the buttons the same way it must be something else. The only other thing I can think of is one (or more) or your sensors went out. And I think the cluster gauge and the gallons remaining in the tank could be your fuel level sensor. I don't know how exactly but I also think the MPG readout is electronically related to that same sensor.

I hope one of the gurus sees this and solves your mystery. But I nearly positive your car had all of these working when it was new.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
I checked it again, and it doesn't show on the computer. Usually before i checked it on my previous E430 by hitting menu where it displays the Mileage, I go next, than its Engine Oil Check, than next is service A notification. the next one should be the MPG/Tank level Fuel, it's not there...its confusing.
This is weird!

I just tried mine too. Up arrow goes to MPH, then Service Due, then Check Oil, then back to Total Miles/Trip Miles. When I pushed the pages button as I told you to do earlier I didn't see the gallons remaining or the MPG either. The missing MPG doesn't surprise me because I haven't driven the car for a couple of days. But it does seem like I would see fuel level.

One thing we could both try (but I don't know how the info would explain anything) is this: Try the buttons with the car off, and then again with it running.

·
Registered
2000 E320
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is weird!

I just tried mine too. Up arrow goes to MPH, then Service Due, then Check Oil, then back to Total Miles/Trip Miles. When I pushed the pages button as I told you to do earlier I didn't see the gallons remaining or the MPG either. The missing MPG doesn't surprise me because I haven't driven the car for a couple of days. But it does seem like I would see fuel level.

One thing we could both try (but I don't know how the info would explain anything) is this: Try the buttons with the car off, and then again with it running.
I thought of that too, and I tried it 15 min ago. Still same thing, I go past the menus and MPG or fuel tank level don't come up. A friend of mine told me it's a computer upgrade, he said when MB Dealer services your car, they upgrade the computer as well. It's very weird I know...My friend checked the fuel tank on his car and I was parked right next to him and I couldn't do it. It could be the computer upgrade or it could be that me and you have early production w210, check the production date of your car so we can compare it :). Actually tomorrow I will compare his car with mine to see.

·
Registered
2000 E320
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
..and one more thing MPG and FUEL tank level, show in the same page, so if it shows Fuel Tank level it should also show MPG as well, at least the last known mpg when the car was driven..:)

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
I thought of that too, and I tried it 15 min ago. Still same thing, I go past the menus and MPG or fuel tank level don't come up. A friend of mine told me it's a computer upgrade, he said when MB Dealer services your car, they upgrade the computer as well. It's very weird I know...My friend checked the fuel tank on his car and I was parked right next to him and I couldn't do it. It could be the computer upgrade or it could be that me and you have early production w210, check the production date of your car so we can compare it :). Actually tomorrow I will compare his car with mine to see.
We definitely need to get to the bottom of this. It's dark and rainy here so I'll check the production date and the readouts again before dark tomorrow. You could be right about a computer upgrade. Let's compare notes again tomorrow.

·
Registered
163 Posts
you need to have someone with SDS, and hook it up to your car and see if the Fuel Tank Range option is available under the Instrument Cluster menu, if it is, have then enable it to see if it will show up on your cluster. also have them check both SAM modules and their codings if there are any faults in those, since one of the SAMs controls the fuel level sender, and there are usually several different coding options for different regions of the world/tank sizes.

·
Registered
2000 E320
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nenad16,

thank you, the point is where to find someone with a SDS rather than a dealer in NYC around my area. :)

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,106 Posts
i just tried cycling through the menus on the 00 E320 and the fuel data appears
on our car. the owner's manual shows the menu flow vs button pressing sequence.
i'm intrigued that your menu is bypassing the fuel indicators. scratching my head
on this.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,106 Posts
Mario -
you're referring to the instrument panel dialog window in the center, right? the
00 we have doesn't have COMMAND. there has been no upgrade to the firmware
that I am aware of....at least nothing done in the past 6 yrs.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts