Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
The inquiry to him was made when the muffler was sitting just over $100. A common ploy for me would be to email and or try to call, and offer 'several times' the current auction price...because MY car is RIGHT NOW in the shop.

My guess is the email to him is of that sort...the ad does not seem clear that he knows what to expect...I wonder if a $450 offer would not have bought it when it was a few days into the auction well under $200.

:)

Looks like he will eat well.

·
Registered
99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB
2,282 Posts
The inquiry to him was made when the muffler was sitting just over $100. A common ploy for me would be to email and or try to call, and offer 'several times' the current auction price...because MY car is RIGHT NOW in the shop.

My guess is the email to him is of that sort...the ad does not seem clear that he knows what to expect...I wonder if a $450 offer would not have bought it when it was a few days into the auction well under $200.

:)

Looks like he will eat well.
Contact him through the forum.... " 48HP "... his name is Henric...

A recent MBCA Star Magazine had a great feature on two of his cars...

He's knowledgable and a nice guy...

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
He's knowledgable and a nice guy...
I figured this based on his polite sidestep to that email ploy. (Was not me bidding on this item)

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,512 Posts
I really wonder if the high bidder will follow through with payment at this point or have second thoughts. That's a *lot* to pay for a muffler.

·
Super Moderator
89 Mercedes 300E, 91 Mercedes 300CE, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
18,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmm, relisted :dunno:

·
Registered
E320 s124 E320 w124 project
368 Posts
Hmmm, relisted :dunno:
The bidding for this item had far exceeded my wildest expectations, thank you everyone. I was unable to add the following note to the item description therefore I was forced to cancel the previous auction and relist.

Good and Bad news. In an attempt to make the muffler more presentable for the winning bidder, I was successful in removing the majority of the asphalt grinds, defects and scratches from the base of the muffler box unit. Unfortunately in doing so, I have inadvertently created a small breach in the muffler stainless steel skin. Please see newly attached photos. This should be an easy repaired when installing the muffler but nonetheless it is not as originally described. My apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused. Thank you for your understanding and please do not hesitate to contact me for any further information, details, questions and/or photos. Free shipping within the continental US.

·
Registered
Way too many
692 Posts
What car is it?I`ve a new sebring if that`s any good? W124 Sebring backbox - MBClub UK Forums
dw124..... or anybody else for that matter..

You seem to find all sorts of interesting and unusual things... find me a genuine AMG 500E (124-036) muffler !!!!
Or... find me a NOS genuine AMG muffler with the rectangular tips for that matter.
Or.... even a used genuine AMG muffler as long as the rectangular tips are in good condition, meaning no dents on the tips, chrome unimportant because I have resigned myself to restoring muffler tips to get what I want. Oh well, no one said this hobby is easy or rational for that matter.
I am in Poland until Nov 18 but MAY be able to meet someone at Heathrow on the the 18th before going back to Chicago.

Kind Regards

Ron - "will travel for mufflers"

PS: My dear parents, rest their souls, must be wondering. "We gave you a good life, provided you with an education, saw you through difficult times and now - at the age of 56 - you are going around the world looking for something that any rational normal sane person in any country anywhere on this planet would have tossed in the nearest trash can and that's if, a BIG IF I might add, they even bothered to stoop down and pick it up; only so you can drag a rusty worthless piece of junk half way across the world and spend God knows how much of our/your hard earned money on making this "treasure" that sits underneath the car and that no one could even see-look like new."
"I knew I shouldn't have taken all that Thalidamide..."

·
Registered
Way too many
692 Posts
Ron:You should have gone for those tail pipes mate,they`re sold now anyway
Also a 500e one went on ebay 2 weeks back :eek:,if you really need it than have a look at this AMG Auspuff Auspuffanlage Endschalldämpfer W124 E Klass bei eBay.de: Sportauspuffe (endet 30.10.10 16:34:44 MESZ)
Thanks for the ebay listing. On those tailpipes - I asked for a pic showing the inside from the exit point and never got them.
I may be wrong but I don't think they were original. All my sources, by no means exhaustive, say that AMG never sold the tailpipes seperately back then. That's not to say that they couldn't be had (out the "back door," seconds, etc.). But through a dealer or Affalterbach, I don't think so.
Anyway, thanks again for the lead.

Kind Regards,

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
What car is it?I`ve a new sebring if that`s any good?
You misunderstood my post, I was saying that the question you were asked on ebay looked like a common ploy to buy something cheap, while the bidding price is scary low, buyer offers a few times that amount, with an "urgent" excuse. :)

·
Registered
Mercedes 500E & CLK32K
511 Posts
dw124..... or anybody else for that matter..

You seem to find all sorts of interesting and unusual things... find me a genuine AMG 500E (124-036) muffler !!!!
AMG of Germany never made a 124.036 specific muffler, but AMG of Japan did. They are not listed in the EPC, so your best bet is to search Yahoo Auctions (Of Japan). I see these pop up quite often.

This is a common search string I use

http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/...UTF-8&xargs=0&pstart=1&b=276&slider=undefined

Attachments

·
Registered
E320 s124 E320 w124 project
368 Posts
Thanks for the ebay listing. On those tailpipes - I asked for a pic showing the inside from the exit point and never got them.
I may be wrong but I don't think they were original. All my sources, by no means exhaustive, say that AMG never sold the tailpipes seperately back then. That's not to say that they couldn't be had (out the "back door," seconds, etc.). But through a dealer or Affalterbach, I don't think so.
Anyway, thanks again for the lead.

Kind Regards,

Ron
No problem dude I had a look at them myself
Here`s where they`re now

OT how`s the estate conv going?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts